Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here drive one of these? Just wondering what it is like to drive. Does it feel underpowered? How flexible is the power? Is it quiet? Is overtaking easy?
I have an SE on order and can find very little in the way of roadtests etc., the emphasis being on diesels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i'm due to pickup a 1.4TSI 150 SE in a couple of weeks so i'll post on here when it arrives. We test drove a 1.4 TSI 150 SE Tiguan before purchase and we thought it was powerful and very smooth. We currently have a 13 plate Audi A3 2.0 TDI diesel 150ps, and it felt quite similar, it was quick to pull out of junctions etc. The reason why we went for the petrol is that my wife mainly drives around cities, stop starting and rarely drives on motorways. We'd love the economy of diesels, but with the bad press diesels are currently getting, we didn't want to risk it. In the end, it depends on how you drive your car, but it's plenty powerful for us.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi, I've got the 1.4 se nav and did a review on this forum, hope this helps:

"I own a new Tiguan with the 1.4 tsi act engine. I have the se nav model. You'll get lots of comments about the engine being too small etc,but having owned it for 2 months I would make the following comment.

I too was concerned about it being under powered, especially as it was replacing a golf gti performance pack with 230 Bhp and 360nm torque, which i owned for the last 2 years.

Any worries about the engine being under powered have been dispelled. The 1.4 petrol unit really suits it. It obviously hasn't got the torque of the gti, but it does pick up well and you never feel apprehensive about pulling out of junctions. It's a very smooth and progressive power delivery and because of the lighter engine it makes the car suprisingly nimble. I tried the 2 litre diesel and it felt very similar in terms of overall power and torque. The diesel model is @100kg heavier so offsets the difference in torque. I picked this model because I don't tow and don't need 4 wheel drive. I am 6'7 tall and have 3 kids that will soon be taller than me even though they are just in their teens - hence the need for a big car!

I had intended on buying the seat Ateca with this engine, but there are very long delivery times in the uk and the deal I got on the Tiguan was actually better, due to brand loyalty and a great part ex.

The engine is the newer updated unit and has been in the Audi q3 and golf for quite a few years now and there have been very few issues. This engine is the active cylinder tech version or cylinder on demand as described by Audi. This provides a very efficient engine as it goes into 2 cylinder mode when steadily cruising. The 2 cylinder mode is unnoticeable except for the indicator on the dash which tells you it's only running on 2 cylinders. It cruises easily at 70 on the motorway in 2 cylinder mode. I've never been one for pulling into small gaps , so for me it's great as I only really pull into spaces on the motorway that are pretty large, so I don't need the 'whoosh' that the gti gave, but the Tiguan does pull nicely and increase speed really progressively. Because of the progressive nature of the engine it's been returning good mpg. My average after 1000 miles is 45 mpg and that's a mixed set of driving - Short runs on motorway, through town and into city centres. Given that the engine is absolutely new I think that's really good mpg. Incidentally that is actual mpg not just from the ash, the dash actually shows 48.2mpg.

Space wise the car is brill. The kids, very tall ones, love it in the back. They have masses of leg room. I also really like the driving position and being higher up you can really see the edges of the car, so feel comfortable with the size of the car overal as you really know where the edges are.

Overall I'm really pleased.

My summary would be that the 1.4 is a great version of the Tiguan. It's not a towing version and I wouldn't have a 4x4 variant because of the increased weight and mpg offset, but if you want a very nice, refined Tiguan then it's a great model. If you consider the pricing difference it's a couple of thousand pounds cheaper than the diesel 150 Bhp version, which I would say is exactly the same power wise, with the extra weight negating the torque you have in the diesel. Also the 2 litre petrol is actually 180 bhp, so not a massive increase, although it more torquey. In no way am I saying the 180 bhp or 150 bhp engine is or isn't better, but for me the lower mpg and increased co2 was an issue, so I went with the 1.4 engine.

I did think that the engine felt better after the first 300 miles. Almost as if there was a break in engine map in operation until that point. That might just have been me getting used to the car, but since then it's felt more revvy and purposeful.

Have a think about your driving style though before making the purchase. If you like very low, early torque then go diesel. The petrol engine torque kicks in at 1500 rpm, so you have to be in the right gear for it to feel right. My gti made me a very lazy driver as it would pull like a train from 1000 rpm in any gear, so for example I could be in 6th gear at 20mph, bury my foot and it would throw you back like you were taking off. The Tiguan won't do that and you need to pick the right gear, so in the example above you'd need to be in 3rd or at most 4th to get the engine to spin up. I've definitely become a more relaxed driver, just picking my gears appropriately. The Tiguan responds in a great way to that driving style and my wife much prefers it also - she really didn't like it when I used to bury the gti throttle. So for me it's been a great move.

Hope this helps you to make your decision.

I do have a couple of niggles, namely wind noise from the passenger mirror and a dirt spec in the clear coat on the bonnet, but to be honest I got a great deal and these haven't detracted from the car at all."

Regards
Axel

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with everything that Axel has written, I came from a Seat Leon FR with the same engine, yes the Leon was quicker and more edgy but I would recommend this engine to anybody who wants an alternative to diesel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great and reassuring replies. I have wavered a little and was tempted by the 2.0 litre 180ps, but mainly because I could get dsg. Present car is Golf 1.4TSI 122ps with dsg. It is a great car and I love the dsg. Main gripe has been tyre noise which I'm hoping will be less in the Tig. Expect delivery mid April - it is build week 10 which I believe is next week?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am waiting for an announcement as to when the new 1.5 TSI will be introduced on the Tiguan.
At the moment it is a toss up between the Tiguan and the Ateca - the latter seeming better value for money.
A hybrid version would be even better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Matchbox said:
Anyone here drive one of these? Just wondering what it is like to drive. Does it feel underpowered? How flexible is the power? Is it quiet? Is overtaking easy?
I have an SE on order and can find very little in the way of roadtests etc., the emphasis being on diesels.
Perhaps I'm old fashioned but, Personally, I wouldn't buy without a test drive. That test drive needs to be "real world" loadings, so not just 5 miles down the nearest dual carriageway.
I have posted elsewhere on here about my experiences trying to buy a 2l diesel auto 4x4 Ateca! A fiasco!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had 2 test drives, both diesels and both unlimited. So drove rural, town and dual carriageway. Impressed overall.
Ateca also driven twice but found ride noisy and bumpy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never driven the engine but it has really excellent reviews in other models and a big waiting list according to the Seat dealer we spoke to. I generally prefer the purity and sound of a petrol motor, just a personal preference and don't do big mileage so it was the way to go for me. Axel, thanks so much for your review, it gave a lot of added confidence in the decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great to hear all the views on the 1.4 ltr Tiguan. Like some others I have concerns about buying a diesel especially as we normally keep cars for the best part of ten years.
At first glance I thought the 1.4 TSI would be underpowered but then thought I would test drive one and see for myself. Both local dealerships were unable to offer a 1.4 to test so I contacted VW UK customer service. A very nice lady told me that there is one in Milton Keynes (2 hour drive from Steyning in Sussex where I live! Oh and another in Yeovil (2hrs 50 mins). That's it, no others. So I rang M.Keynes VW - "We sold our 1.4 some time ago" I rang Yeovil VW - Answerphone only - left a message - no reply so far (that was 5 days ago).
Come on VW - if you want people to buy them, they have to be available to test. I also emailed VW Customers service making comment about the situation - no reply (also 5 days ago).
I feel like hedging my bets and going for the 2 ltr TSI - any thought?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i am very happy with my 2.0 ltr TSI R line its got more than enough power if needed and is a very relaxed drive with the excellent DSG but i must admit it is a bit juicy especially in sport mode but then again it is quite a heavy car

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had a change of heart! Found all your replies useful and informative but in the end settled for the 2.0 TSI. Mainly because I really wanted the dsg box, but also attracted by 4 wheel drive. No problem changing order at dealer and expect delivery end April.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Like tonymar, very pleased with mine. Its so awesome in sport mode that I 'm not bothered about mpg.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In typical Germanic cliche, the presenting style of the Youtube channel 'Autogefühl' is very thorough & efficient, although lacking in humour :D

Here's what "Tomas" has to say about the 1.4 - pretty positive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts