Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First posting here and looking for some advice on the 1.4tsi engine,

I visited my local VW dealer this week who spent the best part of 30 minutes trying to put me off the 1.4 engine and promoting the 2.0tdi.

My driving, although around 12k a year is mostly single roads with not a lot of 60mph plus speeds (we don't have motorways in Norfolk).

Even if my driving habits justified a diesel (which I don't think it does) no one really knows what the Government are going to do about diesels so I'm really set on the 1.4tsi.

I've read the excellent review by Axel http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=414&p=2471#p2471 with contributions from others, but can anyone who has a 1.4tsi add any other comments? Do they find it powerful enough? What sort of MPG are you getting?

Majority of my driving is one up with an annual trip to Switzerland with all the family (four up, fully loaded). Never tow.

My local dealer says he cannot source a 1.4tsi for a test drive and last time I checked there were none on the VW used section.

Incidentally, I was speaking to a Mini salesman last week who told me he was having more customers changing their orders from diesel to petrol.

I'm also testing an Ateca next week but I'm not sure whether that will be petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I bought mine dealer said there was a marked shift to petrol. Must say I Am pleased with mine and made the right choice for me. Consider the 2ltr if you dont mnd the slight increase in fuel consumption bearing in mind fuel and engine cost offset. The dealers will no doubt be pushing diesel cars worried about any shift.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are not towing then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1.4TSI engine. It has been used extensively by VW and Audi for years. Yes there are the haters out there that says it's too small and underpowered but honestly... is it really? There's 2.0 NA petrol SUVs out there with less power.
It has been an extremely reliable engine and has won awards internationally. Of course people out there have had the odd issue and they the ones who complain the loudest. But there are plenty of higher capacity engines that have had the problems. I think buy the engine you happy with. There are plenty YouTube reviews on the 1.4TSI tiguan and 95% of them are positive. I have ordered the 1.4TSI instead of the diesel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Beachbum, I am also based in Norfolk so understand the no motorways etc.

I have recently upgraded from a 2.0TDi MKI to the 1.4TSi MKII. I can honestly say I have noticed no difference in power, if I'm being truthful I feel it has more power in the lower range compared to the Diesel engine and if your not towing then this fine.

Regarding MPG when around town I'm currently averaging around 32mpg, but when on a run I've seen it go to 42mpg but I believe this will increase the more miles I do (currently on 1800).

Where abouts in Norfolk are you?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have a look at the Seat Ateca, they may have a 1.4TSI to test drive which is of course the same engine, Seat also do the 1.4TSI with DSG

G

·
I would have ordered 1.4TSi if it was available with DSG. Cars I test drove were diesels and I was surprised how unrefined they were. My Golf has 1.4 TSi 124 bhp and it goes like a rocket and never feels underpowered. It is also surprisingly torquey. So I feel the 150bhp unit in Tig will be equally as good. Atica is available as 1.4 DSG but test drives in that(not petrol)seemed less compsed than Tig and ride qulity inferior. Couldn't wait to get out!

So in the end orded 2.0 litre TSI DSG.

BTW I am familiar with Norfolk roads I I would think a car with good overtaking acceleration and speed was more important.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Matchbox said:
Atica is available as 1.4 DSG but test drives in that(not petrol)seemed less compsed than Tig and ride qulity inferior. Couldn't wait to get out!
Agree the Ateca ride was not so good presumable due to the different suspension setup

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would definitely have gone for the 1.4 if it had been available in R-line. As it is I have now gone for 4motion and DSG anyway.

My current Golf has the 1.4 TSI cylinder deactivation and I really am thrilled with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The other thing I like about the 2ltr Tsi is lack of Turbo lag my Audi Q5 177 had. Fuel consumption is about the same.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here's a comprehensive review on the entry level 1.4TSI 92KW engine as well. That's 122 instead of 150 as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
cabby09 said:
Here's a comprehensive review on the entry level 1.4TSI 92KW engine as well. That's 122 instead of 150 as well.

Thanks Cabby. I like their reviews. Performance review starts at 17mins 50secs if you want to skip the interior/exterior review.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, it certainly appears the 1.4tsi would suit my needs although I'm reluctant to order just yet till I test drive. If not hopefully my local Seat dealer can access an Ateca 1.4 to give me an idea.

I was very suprised just how pushy my VW dealer was towards a diesel, the cynic in me thinks all dealers may be under pressure to clear stocks of diesels before legislation and / or taxes possibly increase (I stress possibly!) .He did not even mention the 2.0 petrol.

Depending on deal available I'll be looking for 1.4tsi SE Nav in solid white.

Definite extras are the winter pack and rear view camera with park assist

Probable extra is the active information display

Possible extras are the heated front screen & wireless charger

ChrisLegget, I'm in Kings Lynn btw.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could also go test drive an Audi Q3 1.4Tsi manual to get a feel of the engine and power to weight ratio. Unless you trying to break land speed records you won't be disappointed. I'm coming from a 250kw 490nm tuned Audi S3 And I'm happy with the Tiguan when I did a test drive. My priorities have changed a bit obviously lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
Beachbum said:
I would suggest going for SE not SE Nav. VW Satnav is not the best (have a look here: http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1034). So you can save almost £1k that can be spend on other options.
The way to go with navigation is connecting your smartphone via Android Auto and use Google Maps and it works like a charm (traffic wise especially).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Beachbum said:
Thanks for the replies, it certainly appears the 1.4tsi would suit my needs although I'm reluctant to order just yet till I test drive. If not hopefully my local Seat dealer can access an Ateca 1.4 to give me an idea.

I was very suprised just how pushy my VW dealer was towards a diesel, the cynic in me thinks all dealers may be under pressure to clear stocks of diesels before legislation and / or taxes possibly increase (I stress possibly!) .He did not even mention the 2.0 petrol.

Definite extras are the winter pack and rear view camera with park assist

Probable extra is the active information display

Possible extras are the heated front screen & wireless charger

ChrisLegget, I'm in Kings Lynn btw.
[/quote
I think you're probably right to be cynical. My dealer (who didn't push us in either direction) showed us a list of Tigs available in the country - page after page of diesels just a handfull of petrol cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update from my original question,

We had the Ateca (which turned out to be a 2,0 diesel AWD) for 2 days.

Good car with good spec (Xcellence), switch gear almost identical to Tiguan and Kodiaq (which I've also had an outing this week albeit as a passenger) but for some reason I could never really find a comfortable position when driving.

The Ateca just felt small either due to size, it's high door sills, or the dark (black) interior.

Then had a test drive with a 2.0 diesel Tiguan and really felt the difference in driving. Smoother, quieter and generally better. Not a huge difference but enough for me. Also looks wise I think the Tiguan has far more presence.

Again the VW salesman was pushing for a diesel but he was able to source a 1.4TSi Golf which we took for a test drive and to be honest I found it by far the better engine. Same as the Wife's mini cooper, plenty of low down power but still still had the top end too.

So....... today I placed an order for an 1.4 TSi SE (no NAV) in solid white with winter pack, active info display, and rear camera with park assist.

I found the best price I could (Drive the deal), emailed the local dealer who almost matched the price but then did include the 4 year warranty.

To say I'm pleased with the deal is an understatement and I'm now sat in the man cave celebrating with a bottle of jack Daniels.

Just to add, I didn't go for the NAV as having tried it in the Ateca t thought it was pants. After 20 minutes I resorted to Google maps through Android auto with the excellent voice control (ok Google!)

Order placed but dealer will not process till Tuesday, then the long wait begins.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what I hope to see in my dealers forecourt in XX weeks time with my name on it. Wheel Car Tire Sky Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great decision. I have ordered the same engine and I'm happy with my choice and can't wait to drive it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello from Greece,

I have been looking around for info concerning the 1.4TSI DSG as well and this is the only place I found people mentioning it.
I have read the review from Axel and it was very encouraging

In Greece the VW salesmen are really pushing the diesels. I test drove the 2.0 TDI 190PS 4motion but i found it rather lazy. Very capable with lots of torque and all but not very nippy/zippy. I am coming from mk6 GTI and CLA 200 and my company car is a Golf mk7 1.6TDI but that feels more "swifty" than the Tiguan diesel i tried.

Might the laziness be due to the DSG gearbox or is Tiguan in general a car that gives this calm but lazy feeling? Can anyone else comment on the engine/gearbox? 2WD always.

Thanks alot for your time!
Ray

·
Registered
463 Posts
Turbo lag is absent in my 2ltr TDI compared to the TDI I had. Lazy is not a word I'd use for mine and I would tend to use smiley in sport mode. You can catch out the DSG at roundabouts though but being aware of it its overcomeable. ( Is that a word ;) )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts