Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone test driven or got the new 1.4TSI version? Interested In the SE Nav version

I am a steady driver and boy racer days well behind me and moving from a 1.2 Qashqai I understand lower powered petrol engines on a big car which sometimes needs some extra effort, with the extra power of the Tiguan perhaps slightly less of an issue? online reviews seem to give it a general thumbs up for my type of driving. From the Tiguan I want a comfortable family car, 60-70% of my driving is commuting with rest as family/friend visits and a few longer trips for days out or holidays. I never tow or go off road. Seems an option for me as loss of weight for 4wd and any sunroof may help.

Your thoughts guys??

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi Steve, I came to the Tiguan from a 1.4Tsi golf mk7, and my experience of the 1.4 engine was nothing but exemplorary. It's a very smooth engine with plenty of grunt, which I imagine will be tempered somewhat by the extra weight of the Tiggie.
Mine was teamed with the excellent 7 speed DSG on the golf. Not sure what your options would be on the 1.4 Tiguan, but if they offer the DSG, I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with it, but I'm sure the manual would be equally good.
I would imagine a great number of Tiguans, irrespective of power plant will never/rarely go offroad by choice. Having said that it could be handy when the going gets tough in the winter.
Can't comment on the Qashqai, but the turbocharged VW engines have a great deal of power even in the smaller sizes, so you won't go wanting.
With most of your driving on a commute, I would think you'll also benefit from the better fuel consumption over the larger petrol engine.
I really can't see you being disappointed. :)

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Essjay said:
Hi Steve, I came to the Tiguan from a 1.4Tsi golf mk7, and my experience of the 1.4 engine was nothing but exemplorary. It's a very smooth engine with plenty of grunt, which I imagine will be tempered somewhat by the extra weight of the Tiggie.
Mine was teamed with the excellent 7 speed DSG on the golf. Not sure what your options would be on the 1.4 Tiguan, but if they offer the DSG, I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with it, but I'm sure the manual would be equally good.
I would imagine a great number of Tiguans, irrespective of power plant will never/rarely go offroad by choice. Having said that it could be handy when the going gets tough in the winter.
Can't comment on the Qashqai, but the turbocharged VW engines have a great deal of power even in the smaller sizes, so you won't go wanting.
With most of your driving on a commute, I would think you'll also benefit from the better fuel consumption over the larger petrol engine.
I really can't see you being disappointed. :)

Steve
Hi Steve, Like the other Steve I too am coming from a 1.4 TSI Golf Mk7 however I am still waiting for my new Tiguan. I can nothing but agree with Steve about the 1.4 and although my Current golf is only 103 KW the motor has more than enough grunt. I found a short review of a 1.4 Tiguan R Line would you believe it from South Africa and they also were full of praise for the car. A couple of links are given below:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi TiGR162, I rather think we might not see the 1.4 in R Line form in this country, never say never though. I've just looked at the configurator, and the 1.4 appears to be only available on the lower spec models, and also no DSG by the look of it.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the positive reviews, I'm after the 1.4 SE too, as per my first post in the Intros section.

Had a good look around the SE in the showroom at the weekend and it looks very nice. Coming from a 1.6tdi Golf Match and 2.0tdi Sharan SE.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Stevej...It says in your signature you have already ordered the mk2 SEL 150ps 2.0 ltr Diesel... :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I own a new Tiguan with the 1.4 tsi act engine. I have the se nav model. You'll get lots of comments about the engine being too small etc,but having owned it for 2 months I would make the following comment.

I too was concerned about it being under powered, especially as it was replacing a golf gti performance pack with 230 Bhp and 360nm torque, which i owned for the last 2 years.

Any worries about the engine being under powered have been dispelled. The 1.4 petrol unit really suits it. It obviously hasn't got the torque of the gti, but it does pick up well and you never feel apprehensive about pulling out of junctions. It's a very smooth and progressive power delivery and because of the lighter engine it makes the car suprisingly nimble. I tried the 2 litre diesel and it felt very similar in terms of overall power and torque. The diesel model is @100kg heavier so offsets the difference in torque. I picked this model because I don't tow and don't need 4 wheel drive. I am 6'7 tall and have 3 kids that will soon be taller than me even though they are just in their teens - hence the need for a big car!

I had intended on buying the seat Ateca with this engine, but there are very long delivery times in the uk and the deal I got on the Tiguan was actually better, due to brand loyalty and a great part ex.

The engine is the newer updated unit and has been in the Audi q3 and golf for quite a few years now and there have been very few issues. This engine is the active cylinder tech version or cylinder on demand as described by Audi. This provides a very efficient engine as it goes into 2 cylinder mode when steadily cruising. The 2 cylinder mode is unnoticeable except for the indicator on the dash which tells you it's only running on 2 cylinders. It cruises easily at 70 on the motorway in 2 cylinder mode. I've never been one for pulling into small gaps , so for me it's great as I only really pull into spaces on the motorway that are pretty large, so I don't need the 'whoosh' that the gti gave, but the Tiguan does pull nicely and increase speed really progressively. Because of the progressive nature of the engine it's been returning good mpg. My average after 1000 miles is 45 mpg and that's a mixed set of driving - Short runs on motorway, through town and into city centres. Given that the engine is absolutely new I think that's really good mpg. Incidentally that is actual mpg not just from the ash, the dash actually shows 48.2mpg.

Space wise the car is brill. The kids, very tall ones, love it in the back. They have masses of leg room. I also really like the driving position and being higher up you can really see the edges of the car, so feel comfortable with the size of the car overal as you really know where the edges are.

Overall I'm really pleased.

My summary would be that the 1.4 is a great version of the Tiguan. It's not a towing version and I wouldn't have a 4x4 variant because of the increased weight and mpg offset, but if you want a very nice, refined Tiguan then it's a great model. If you consider the pricing difference it's a couple of thousand pounds cheaper than the diesel 150 Bhp version, which I would say is exactly the same power wise, with the extra weight negating the torque you have in the diesel. Also the 2 litre petrol is actually 180 bhp, so not a massive increase, although it more torquey. In no way am I saying the 180 bhp or 150 bhp engine is or isn't better, but for me the lower mpg and increased co2 was an issue, so I went with the 1.4 engine.

I did think that the engine felt better after the first 300 miles. Almost as if there was a break in engine map in operation until that point. That might just have been me getting used to the car, but since then it's felt more revvy and purposeful.

Have a think about your driving style though before making the purchase. If you like very low, early torque then go diesel. The petrol engine torque kicks in at 1500 rpm, so you have to be in the right gear for it to feel right. My gti made me a very lazy driver as it would pull like a train from 1000 rpm in any gear, so for example I could be in 6th gear at 20mph, bury my foot and it would throw you back like you were taking off. The Tiguan won't do that and you need to pick the right gear, so in the example above you'd need to be in 3rd or at most 4th to get the engine to spin up. I've definitely become a more relaxed driver, just picking my gears appropriately. The Tiguan responds in a great way to that driving style and my wife much prefers it also - she really didn't like it when I used to bury the gti throttle. So for me it's been a great move.

Hope this helps you to make your decision.

I do have a couple of niggles, namely wind noise from the passenger mirror and a dirt spec in the clear coat on the bonnet, but to be honest I got a great deal and these haven't detracted from the car at all.

Regards
Axel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Axel
Great review, I had ordered a SEL but had second thoughts on overall costs. ( well spotted stumpy) I am coming from a 1.2 Qashqai so after the last 2 1/2 years of driving this car I know exactly about the occasion extra gear shift requirements for a lower powered petrol car, but as most of my driving is commuting so this has no impact at all. I wish to buy for space, comfort, practicality and had 2 vw's in the past so wish to get back on board.. I test drove the Tiguan several times and know this is the car for me.... just about getting the right car for me within my budget.
Steve
PS, thanks for all the other comments

·
Registered
115 Posts
The fact that it's a TSI (supercharger at low revs, turbo at high revs) it shouldn't be slow or not enough torque. It should be pretty smooth throughout
As long as it is the 150 ACT engine you are fine (not sure about the non ACT 125bhp one?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmrc804 said:
The fact that it's a TSI (supercharger at low revs, turbo at high revs) it shouldn't be slow or not enough torque. It should be pretty smooth throughout
As long as it is the 150 ACT engine you are fine (not sure about the non ACT 125bhp one?)
I think you will find that the 1.4 TSI engine in both guises (ACT and non ACT) is just turbocharged, AFAIK they dropped the supercharged/turbocharged some time back, this combination although being very powerful for a 1.4 was known to have reliability problems.

The current 1.4ACT engine is superb, I had one in my Seat Leon and couldn't fault it that's why I went with the same engine in my SE NAV, I don't need a diesel as my annual mileage is low and wouldn't justify the extra cost for the mileage that I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve,

I test drive Tiguan 1.4 TSI DSG SEL, and must say drove very well, no issue with power or ride quality was great in town and motor way.

I made mind to go for booking R line as I thought so check real life drive experience from owners of 20" wheels - unfortunately dealer told me UK orders have been stopped for 1.4 TSI DSG.

I shall wait until Dec-17, if they open orders in UK or else will be forced to go for Audi Q3 1.4 TSI - though its bit out dated now.

I cannot understand how VW can run out of 1.4 TSI as its widely used and available in Audi Skoda and VW other cars.
Might be dumping of diesel and bigger petrol engine in UK as done by other premium rivals who don't offer all efficient engines in UK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
SandyD said:
Hi Steve,

I test drive Tiguan 1.4 TSI DSG SEL, and must say drove very well, no issue with power or ride quality was great in town and motor way.

I made mind to go for booking R line as I thought so check real life drive experience from owners of 20" wheels - unfortunately dealer told me UK orders have been stopped for 1.4 TSI DSG.

I shall wait until Dec-17, if they open orders in UK or else will be forced to go for Audi Q3 1.4 TSI - though its bit out dated now.

I cannot understand how VW can run out of 1.4 TSI as its widely used and available in Audi Skoda and VW other cars.
Might be dumping of diesel and bigger petrol engine in UK as done by other premium rivals who don't offer all efficient engines in UK.
We looked at the Q3 before buying the Tiguan. Its a lot smaller than the Tiguan, and like you say - its very outdated, but the discounts are there. Its the only model in the Audi range that hasnt been updated for several years!

If you want the Q3, I would hold fire until the summer when the new shape comes out!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have just taken delivery of 2.00 TSI SEL having previously had a Merc. C220D and I cant believe how good the TIG is. Great driving position, DSG box is brilliant and brake hold is an excellent feature as in the Merc at roundabouts it was scary as the stop/start would sometimes have a delay, the TIG is very responsive and a joy to drive with no delay. Prior to the MERC I had several Lexus RX's and they did role about a bit but the TIG is street ahead of the Lexus (also test drove the NX - lots of road noise). Anybody looking to order, I would also recommend having the Head up Display as it is first class and reduced need to look down.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
182_blue said:
tekin said:
I have a Tiguan 1.4 and after 100,000 miles it needs a new engine. The 1.4 is too small for this car and cant cope.
Proof or it never happened :!:
Joined Feb 14th at 3.52pm, posted that at 3.53pm, and not posted since.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions ;)

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Tiguan 1.4 tsi r line DSG in indium gray for 2weeks now.
Really smart looking car with plenty of room. The 20 inch wheels, and r line sports package really enhance the cars look compared to the lower spec models.
I had thought about getting the larger 2.00 tsi 4 motion, but with the type of driving I do which tends to be town driving, I didn't feel the extra cost and less efficiency warranted it. The 1.4 tsi is extremely refined, smooth and a real pleasure to drive. The order book for 1.4 tsi should open again at the beginning of January. Too many people were utilising the scrappage scheme to buy the 1.4 petrol hence the hold on orders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts