Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all

Had my Tiguan a week and already got lacquer peel of the drivers door grab handle

Anyone else had problems.

Gonna get into the dealership Monday as also got parking assist issues. Rear sensors are fubared going off randomly when reversing and nothing behind me.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't impressed when I saw it.

Got to call the dealers Monday and get it sorted.

Our beetle did the same but that was 16 years ago. Didn't expect it today with quality control etc. should be an easy fix.

I hope

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks like the good ladies nail polish?! :oops:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
You don't wear a ring on your right hand do you? ;)

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll be very interested to hear how this gets resolved. I went to view my new Tiguan last weekend and noticed the same thing on mines. I thought it was glue from perhaps some protective coverings. Now I see the same on another Tiguan, I'll be getting them to look into it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The red I can only assume was either off he cloth I used with water to try clean it or reflection of light of my red jumper.

The colour is gone now but the peel is still there.

I don't wear a ring so it is not damage

It's not nail polish, the wife doesn't wear it and only I have driven it so far. And no I don't wear nail polish either 😜

It's also tacky to the touch.

Phoned dealers and they can get it in in 3 bloody weeks.

Less than 200 miles on the clock they won't charge me for it as I won't let them but thanks for having my back.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I hope both of you leethal82 and yourself Newbeetler get this resolved, sooner rather than later, on a car this price....I wouldn't be happy either :( :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
You're right!! Brand new car and already peeling. Bad times.
I need to go in earlier to sign the credit agreement so I am going to recheck the handle first and bring it to the attention on the saleman, That should help spur things along (I hope!).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Newbeetler said:
The red I can only assume was either off he cloth I used with water to try clean it or reflection of light of my red jumper.

It's not nail polish, the wife doesn't wear it and only I have driven it so far. And no I don't wear nail polish either 😜

It's also tacky to the touch
The door handles are manufactured from a PVC polymer material so cannot peel, thus I don't think it is a defect with the handle.

The fact that you mention that it is tacky and is visible on the handle would indicate the transfer of some kind of third party adhesive which appears to have found its way onto the handle from a 'hand'?!

Was it there when you collected your car?

You could try removing it with a small amount of white spirit on a cotton cloth, don't worry white spirit will not melt the handle. If it is adhesive white spirit will remove it without any damage. Afterwards use a generic interior cleaner to wipe the plastic over to remove the white spirit residue as it does smell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GTD

Didn't notice it at collection but so much going on it's the small things that you don't notice.

I don't work with adhesive and not had any on my hands that would be transferred in that quantity.

Anything that could have been 3rd part transferred for have been on my clothes and I would have noticed.

No one other than myself and dealer staff should have been close enough to transfer anything so rather confus No to be honest.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Newbeetler said:
Thanks GTD

Didn't notice it at collection but so much going on it's the small things that you don't notice.

I don't work with adhesive and not had any on my hands that would be transferred in that quantity.

Anything that could have been 3rd part transferred for have been on my clothes and I would have noticed.

No one other than myself and dealer staff should have been close enough to transfer anything so rather confus No to be honest.
Hmmm :idea: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: Except for the Dockers, and Lorry driver...... could of been transferred by them wearing gloves loading/ unloading :|

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
GTD184 said:
Newbeetler said:

It's also tacky to the touch
The door handles are manufactured from a PVC polymer material so cannot peel, thus I don't think it is a defect with the handle.

The fact that you mention that it is tacky and is visible on the handle would indicate the transfer of some kind of third party adhesive which appears to have found its way onto the handle from a 'hand'?!

Was it there when you collected your car?

You could try removing it with a small amount of white spirit on a cotton cloth, don't worry white spirit will not melt the handle. If it is adhesive white spirit will remove it without any damage. Afterwards use a generic interior cleaner to wipe the plastic over to remove the white spirit residue as it does smell.
Good Idea GTD184 ;) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stumpy said:
Newbeetler said:
Thanks GTD

Hmmm :idea: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: Except for the Dockers, and Lorry driver...... could of been transferred by them wearing gloves loading/ unloading :|
Yeah kind of lump them in with the whole dealers people, -also people I the factory etc etc. What I see as enough pairs of hands to have noticed and rectified before delivery :)

Might try the white spirit.

Weird thing is it looks like it's faded to white spirit might do the job

·
Registered
339 Posts
:idea: if you have no white spirit try WD40........Do not use a solvent based cleaner or paint thinning solvent as it would melt the door handle!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is that not just gonna remove some of the plastic which is peeling therefore make it worse?

·
Registered
339 Posts
leethal82 said:
Is that not just gonna remove some of the plastic which is peeling therefore make it worse?
Leethal82 I cannot vouch for your issue as I have not seen any images. However from the images Newbeetler has supplied it does not appear to be a defect with the door handle. Door handles do not peel as it is a moulded component.

From the images supplied it does look like the transfer of some kind of adhesive to the door handle from a hand or glove, which can be removed using white spirit which is an oil based cleaner. Paraffin or WD40 could be used as a substitute for white spirit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a chance to look at it at lunch.

Ran my thumb across it and whatever it was it has dried out and just flaked.

Little bit of rubbing simply with my thumb and hey presto it's gone.

That didn't work when I looked at it a few days ago so who know what or where it cane from. But one less problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts