Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On long journeys I often use a car fridge in the boot and have never had a problem with connecting it in previous VAG cars. Setting out for France on Saturday, however, the fridge would not work. I checked the handbook and, sure enough, the sockets only work with the ignition switched on and the engine running. Fair enough, but still no joy. On arrival, I tried plugging in my tyre pump also with a standard 12v plug - again no joy. I checked the fuse (No.40, 20amp) behind the glove box (a tricky manoeuvre, especially closing it) and it was sound. I tried the sockets in the boot, the rear passenger area and under the dash - nothing. So, what gives? I'll ask my local VW dealer here to have a look - a Dane who speaks several languages and worked for many years at the VW factory in Wolfsberg. What he doesn't know about VWs is not worth knowing! Unfortunately, tomorrow is a bank holiday here, Toussaint, so he'll be closed.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, did you do to resolve it and how?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem solved without consulting the trusty Dane at Garage du Maupas. Looked again at the fuse board behind the glove box and, sure enough, fuse No.40 was intact but, below it there are several square black (relays?). One of these had not been installed properly and was out of line. A quick shove and it was firmly home and, bingo!. The 12v sockets are live. Notwithstanding that, when I pushed the glove box home, a plastic rack which seems to engage in a pinion at the side of the glove box, fell out and looks very difficult to refit. A job for my dealer at home when we return to the UK. Build quality -hmmmm!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Welshkaiboy but, it's the toothed bar that fell out. It looks as though it fits into a small housing on the left side of the glove box but I can't see how it can be pushed in, the gap is too small. Any ideas? I pushed the pinion in easily. Is this a device for damping the movement of the glove box when it is opened?

G

·
Yes it is, the bar is designed to come out so the glovebox folds forward (odd design). I was pretty alarmed myself when the bar pulled through and the pinion fell out.

Just line it up and push it along the pinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, it pushed back more easily than I expected. As you say, a strange arrangement not mentioned in the handbook section on access to the fuse board. Both the bar and the pinion fell out when I dropped the glove box down to reveal the fuses. I imagine that it is likely to happen each time it is dropped down!

G

·
Paul85 said:
Thanks again, it pushed back more easily than I expected. As you say, a strange arrangement not mentioned in the handbook section on access to the fuse board. Both the bar and the pinion fell out when I dropped the glove box down to reveal the fuses. I imagine that it is likely to happen each time it is dropped down!
Glad it was simple to resolve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts