Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

So 150hp TDI DSG or 150hp TSI DSG? Have any of you guys tried both? Where I live they only have the TDI for test-drive.
I don't do a lot of millage during the week so I think the TSI should be enough but I still do a couple of weekend trips per month where I need to not be thinking if I have enough power. Also, the TDI is a 7-speed while the TSI is only a 6-speed DSG. Curious to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Are you sure, I don't think they do a 6 speed DSG in the TSI

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hartside said:
Are you sure, I don't think they do a 6 speed DSG in the TSI
In the UK I don't think they do. We get the 6 speed DSG with the 150 TSI in South Africa

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This is why it would be useful to put your location in your signature, to avoid this sort of confusion.

I would think unless your planning on towing (where you need the extra torque of the diesel), performance of both engines should be very similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tricky said:
I would think unless your planning on towing (where you need the extra torque of the diesel), performance of both engines should be very similar.
I could imagine that. My main concern however is with the difference in gearbox: The 7-speed auto on the TDI vs the 6-speed on the TSI. I was hoping someone had feedback on this.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Tricky said:
This is why it would be useful to put your location in your signature, to avoid this sort of confusion.

Where will I find the option to add my location. I've been through the profile settings and can't see it, must be missing the obvious.

·
Registered
342 Posts
DANSOME said:
I could imagine that. My main concern however is with the difference in gearbox: The 7-speed auto on the TDI vs the 6-speed on the TSI. I was hoping someone had feedback on this.
Can't offer any comparison but having driven a 6 speed DSG, I never felt the need for a 7th gear.
It's human nature to see something the same but more/better/bigger/faster and think maybe I'll regret not getting that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hartside said:
Tricky said:

Where will I find the option to add my location. I've been through the profile settings and can't see it, must be missing the obvious.
Tap your name - User Control Profile - Profile - Edit Profile then enter your Location. You could put it in your Signature too. 😊

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think if your towing some thing with a bit of weight then a TDi may be the first one to go for, but then we over here don't know the price difference of the 2 engines there, then you need to consider cost of fuel, vehicle tax, car service etc, to how long you will keep the vehicle. I have gone back to petrol this year due to my milage going down from 18,000 to around 10,000, £2,000 difference in purchase price and my own belief that diesel will go up and more tax for diesel vehicles. It was a hard dicesion for me as I love the new diesel engines. DSG is a dream to own.

·
Registered
446 Posts
sbird1975 said:
DANSOME said:
Can't offer any comparison but having driven a 6 speed DSG, I never felt the need for a 7th gear.
It's human nature to see something the same but more/better/bigger/faster and think maybe I'll regret not getting that.
As would someone happy with 5speed not needing a 6th gear. With DSG type boxes more gears are better as it changes so quickly, the 7 speed has a better spread of gears, meaning closer lower gears helping acceleration and response but still with a taller overall 7th. It's why so many 8speed gearboxes are coming out, I drove an X1 with 8speed and it was very good, almost seamless.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Generally I think the diesels tend to have more gears as their rev band is narrower than petrol engines, so more ratios to cover the road speed range more evenly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
c_w said:
sbird1975 said:
DANSOME said:
As would someone happy with 5speed not needing a 6th gear. With DSG type boxes more gears are better as it changes so quickly, the 7 speed has a better spread of gears, meaning closer lower gears helping acceleration and response but still with a taller overall 7th. It's why so many 8speed gearboxes are coming out, I drove an X1 with 8speed and it was very good, almost seamless.
Obviously the 7 spd is better but if an engine only comes with a specific box and you like the engine. Why worry about the box with the other engine.

Now if the op was comparing 2 identical engines then go 7 spd. Since the 2 are diesel and petrol, then surely a decision needs to be based on whether or not diesel or petrol is best for them. The gearbox is irelavent in that decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DANSOME said:
I think the TSI should be enough but I still do a couple of weekend trips per month where I need to not be thinking if I have enough power.
If you are worried about power, i'd be thinking about the 190 bhp diesel as a minimum. Then you have the best of both worlds, bhp and torque.

I have the 150 diesel and it is not the quickest. Although that is all relative depending on what vehicle you have at the moment.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All great advice. I hardly manage 10k a year so the Diesel is definitely not a viable option. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've not driven a Tiguan with the 6 speed DSG gearbox but I had both a Mk6 and Mk7 Golf with this gearbox and it is excellent. 6 speed box with a petrol engine which has a much wider rpm power range will be absolutely fine.
The choice between 6 or 7 speed gearbox should not be your main concern, more important is do you need the extra torque from a diesel and how many miles are you doing annually? If your not towing and you do lots of short journeys or less than about 15K miles per year then go petrol for both environmental and economy reasons

·
Registered
174 Posts
We ended up getting the 180ps petrol as the 150 wasn't available with the automatic at the time. Also we only do about 10k miles per year, often short journeys. Plus dieselgate has my wife suspicious, as we have always had petrols

·
Registered
134 Posts
NoHopeNoFear said:
Plus dieselgate has my wife suspicious, as we have always had petrols
Agree, and who know what the money grabbers in government or indeed local councils will do next to extract money from diesel drivers under the pretext of cleaner air :evil:

G

·
Such a shame the 1.4 TSI is not available with dsg. Nearly bought the manual but in for a penny etc.. ordered the SEL 1.8TSI dsg 4motion.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts