Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have just got back from an epic trip to the Lake District from Suffolk, from the flat lands to the very steep country lanes of Windermere.

I have to say I am very impressed with the MPG (55 mpg) in Normal mode going all the way up the scenic A1 route missing out the M62. The ACC is a pleasure to use, especially in traffic jams and travelling at the permitted speed limits per section of the journey. The sat nav worked very well indeed. I only have the standard discover system so I can only view the map in the instrument cluster. But I have a quick fix if your other half wants to see your route in the main screen, if you have Apple Carplay, just put the apple maps in the main display, it also shows you real time traffic flow without the need of logging into the Carnet system, which I find is hit and miss using my personal hotspot on my iphone! Spotify works brilliantly if you are a premium subscriber, so the wife could play DJ while I concentrated on the road.

Now to the bad stuff, Front Assist is a liability if you are travelling on tiny country lanes round Windermere. We were just coming into Bowness when a car was going a little fast coming the other way and encroached slightly on our side of the road, the brakes slammed on hard and the big red symbol came up in the display, fortunately I didn't have another vehicle behind me at the time!!! So everytime we set off for a journey in the area we turned off Front assist function, until we got to an open road.

Don't be also fooled by the auto hold function on a very steep incline, it doesn't work! I had to press the parking brake button as we were rolling back down the hill waiting for a car to pass. A little scary for the mrs but fortunately no stains were left on the light interior.

But all in all, a very enjoyable trip and a pleasure to drive the tiguan up there.

Spotted numerous Tiguans of the SE and SEL variety on the journey and 4 R-lines (2x White 1x Black and 1x Iridium Grey) and plenty of R-line Toerags

Drives: Pure White R-lIne 150 DSG 4motion - Standard spec

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds great, an epic trip. Is it not possible to have the map displayed on the the centre screen and in the instrument cluster at the same time then?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tig9971 said:
Sounds great, an epic trip. Is it not possible to have the map displayed on the the centre screen and in the instrument cluster at the same time then?
Only with the Discover Pro system - not the Discover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
jcb2017 said:
Don't be also fooled by the auto hold function on a very steep incline, it doesn't work! I had to press the parking brake button as we were rolling back down the hill waiting for a car to pass. A little scary for the mrs but fortunately no stains were left on the light interior.

Drives: Pure White R-lIne 150 DSG 4motion - Standard spec
My understanding of Auto Hold is that it holds the brake pedal at the same point it was when the car becomes stationary, so unless you give it a firm press on a steep hill it may roll back when the clutch disengages fully?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bhuna said:
Tig9971 said:
Only with the Discover Pro system - not the Discover.
So to be clear, you need the Discover Pro to have it on both screens at the same time, but otherwise (i.e. with Discover) you can have it on either screen, but not simultaneously?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is correct, you can only have the Sat nav view from VW nav on both screens at the same time, if you choose the discover pro sat nav option which will also give you Google Earth function via Carnet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
jcb2017 said:
That is correct, you can only have the Sat nav view from VW nav on both screens at the same time, if you choose the discover pro sat nav option which will also give you Google Earth function via Carnet.
Sadly Google Earth will not be available on MY18. Very disappointed as my car will be a MY18 confirmed build week 12th June.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi JCB

I have the standard Discovery Nav and (I may have misunderstood you) I can get the map on either the instrument console in between the speedo and rev counter OR on the main screen where you would expect it. I just press the Nav button on the side of the screen and then along the bottom you get an option to display the map. It then moves the map over. You might have to put your hand close to the screen to make that option pop up. I've only had it for a week and so still figuring out all the other bits..... kid in a toy shop etc

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
627 Posts
jcb2017 said:
Don't be also fooled by the auto hold function on a very steep incline, it doesn't work! I had to press the parking brake button as we were rolling back down the hill waiting for a car to pass.
If you have brought the vehicle to a stop on a hill AND the green P illuminates in the display panel and you still roll back then I suggest you get in touch with your dealer and ask them to check it as it should not happen.

chris w said:
My understanding of Auto Hold is that it holds the brake pedal at the same point it was when the car becomes stationary, so unless you give it a firm press on a steep hill it may roll back when the clutch disengages fully?
I just tested this on my way to work up a hill and pressed very lightly in the brake to come to a stop. Green P comes on and I didn't roll back at all.

·
Registered
936 Posts
jcb2017 said:
My driveway is very steep, people find it difficult to walk up steep and the auto hold works ok on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul-40ft said:
Hi JCB

I have the standard Discovery Nav and (I may have misunderstood you) I can get the map on either the instrument console in between the speedo and rev counter OR on the main screen where you would expect it. I just press the Nav button on the side of the screen and then along the bottom you get an option to display the map. It then moves the map over. You might have to put your hand close to the screen to make that option pop up. I've only had it for a week and so still figuring out all the other bits..... kid in a toy shop etc

Cheers

Paul
No that is right Paul, I was saying if you have Apple carplay you can put the map on the main screen while the VW sat nav is on the instrument cluster at the same time showing the real time traffic from Apple's mapping system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts