Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my TDI 190PS just over a week ago, and as I drove it off the forecourt I noticed an unusual noise from the engine - mentioned it to the sales guy who was with me and he put it down to being a brand new diesel engine. I've put a few hundred miles on it since and I'm still not happy with the noise - I'd describe it as sort of "blowing" (I don't think it's actually a blowing exhaust though - would be louder) sort of a higher-frequency slightly rattly engine note on top of the normal diesel engine (rubbish description I know). It is only there when the engine is under load - rev'ing it while in Neutral I can't hear it and the note rises and falls with engine revs, really noticeable when doing a steady 40-ish and gently accelerating around 1500rpm.

I had a 2.0 TDI 180PS A4 from new before this and never had anything like this noise.

Took it back to the dealer and went out with one of their tech guys who thought it might be injectors making the noise. As it was one of the first 190's on the road they didn't have another we could drive back-to-back to compare. We took out a TDI 150 which didn't make the same noise.

One of the things I noticed on the original test drive (in a 150PS) was how quiet the engine was - and a lot of the reviews also mention that.

So.. I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had a 190PS just delivered, how does the engine sound on yours? Anything unusual or was the salesman right and I just need to give it a few miles?

Apart from this noise I'm loving the car - the interior lighting at night is great and I'm finding my way around the tech toys. I've added a carstick for the car-net stuff (mainly the enhanced travel bits which are great) but would have liked that to be in a 2nd USB port hidden away somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - car back at the dealers tomorrow for them to do further investigation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Just picked my Tiguan SEL 190 dsg up last friday.
I havent noticed any strange noises yet.
Did you get yours sorted OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car has been back to the dealers several times since the last time I posted - still got the issue (so far had a replacement turbo, injectors and ECU update). Since I got the car in October it's spent almost half its time there !

At the moment the suspicion is the EGR unit (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - waiting on that being replaced and some more testing.

On the plus side I've had most of the VW range as courtesy cars while its been at the dealers - which has confirmed I'm happy with the Tiguan if only the engine on mine wasn't so noisy :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi just got back from dealer after checking out my Tiguan 2L tdi DSG 190 4 motion R line for the same issue
The technician agreed it was noisy booked it in for checking but didn't find any fault
They compared it with another car and informed me that had the same fault so still no wiser

·
Registered
21 Posts
This may sound crazy but I had the same problem on my Ford Transit rattling under load.Our local fuel station had changed from Shell to a so called economy brand.I started filling up at a Esso garage and within 2 weeks the engine was running normally again.Probobly not the same with a new car but you never know.
Hope this may be some help
Regards
Clive

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a Seat Ateca with the same engine. I am mechanically astute having rebuilt some of my engines in the past, so I think I know a good noise and a bad noise. I have, what I consider a bad noise on the idle - hard to describe, but it is a prominent inconsistent tinny type sound - which I do not like... Anybody else experienced an irregular noise on the idle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
11 months on and I've finally got a resolution - the dealer and VWFS agreed to swap the car for a new one a couple of months back and I drove the replacement last week to confirm I'm happy with the noise that one makes (or doesn't :) ), should be finalising the swap in the next few days.

During the various times mine was with the dealer I had a LOT of courtesy cars, mainly Golfs but a couple of Tiguans too and none of them made anything like the noise mine does. After my drive in the replacement last week mine seemed extra-noisy when I got back in it - amazing what you (sort of) get used to but it still niggled every morning.

Delighted this is finally sorted and it's also allowed my to tweak the spec ever so slightly (at my cost) - I've added the overhead camera view option as I've always found the parking sensors to be pretty "random" - I could drive up to a wall and be within 6 inches with not a squeak, stop and wait a couple of seconds and then it would notice the wall ! Having said that the sensors on the new one seemed to be a lot better when I was parking it back at the dealers.

wiz2003 - with mine the noise was only when the engine was under load - gentle uphill which needed a touch of throttle to keep the speed constant was when it was most noticeable, sounded fine at idle.

TractorBoy - I did wonder about fuel so for a while made sure I filled up at a BP garage with their premium diesel to see if it made a difference (no) - other than that it has had a mixture of various supermarket and big-name brands in it with no difference that I could tell.

It's taken a while but the dealers have been pretty good throughout and I'm really looking forward to the new one.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There is another thread started by gtd184 I believe, related to noise on the DSG version of the 190 engine. Worth a read.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Paulw said:
Hi just got back from dealer after checking out my Tiguan 2L tdi DSG 190 4 motion R line for the same issue
The technician agreed it was noisy booked it in for checking but didn't find any fault
They compared it with another car and informed me that had the same fault so still no wiser
If your experience is anything like the DSG debacle I am presently embroiled in then you will probably be told its a diesel engine "characteristic"!! :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read with interest your remarks on the 190 TDI. I bought a new Tiguan SEL 150 TDI 4x4 late February and immediately noticed the intrusive engine noise at low speeds. A dreadful droning noise invades the cabin when the engine is cold and under load but when the engine is hot it is fairly quiet when cruising up to 1700rpm (around 70mph) but above that speed with the engine working harder the droning noise builds up again. I have heard before that the 190 engine is more noisy and that is why I avoided it. I have tried different fuels but with no improvement. My son has the same car and it is significantly quieter than mine. I have used diesel cars for 20 years and this car is much worse that the old (late 90s)110 bhp VW engine. Does anyone else have this problem with the 150 engine?

Look forward to reading your views on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2019 R-Line 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSG and I have to say I'm really disappointed. What started out so well is slowly descending into real disappointment. The engine sounds like an old van, claterring and whirring something terrible at idle and then just really rough and nasty when driving with a whiney, almost blowy noise?! I used to have a diesel Audi and it was torquey, quiet and nice and smooth (granted was manual not auto). This thing is a noisy, underpowered, flabby mess. Where the hell is the torque? You'd think I was towing a caravan?! I touch the accelerator and there's all kinds of lag and delay, the engine is whiney and noisy when accelerating and all-round it's just a miserable driving experience most of the time. I say most of the time because on the odd occasion it's lovely. Responsive, can feel torque, nice smooth gear changes etc. Then I'll park up and when driving it a few hours later it's like I'm in a transit van? What is happening? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
106 Posts
TMc1908 said:
I've got a 2019 R-Line 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSG and I have to say I'm really disappointed. What started out so well is slowly descending into real disappointment. The engine sounds like an old van, claterring and whirring something terrible at idle and then just really rough and nasty when driving with a whiney, almost blowy noise?! I used to have a diesel Audi and it was torquey, quiet and nice and smooth (granted was manual not auto). This thing is a noisy, underpowered, flabby mess. Where the hell is the torque? You'd think I was towing a caravan?! I touch the accelerator and there's all kinds of lag and delay, the engine is whiney and noisy when accelerating and all-round it's just a miserable driving experience most of the time. I say most of the time because on the odd occasion it's lovely. Responsive, can feel torque, nice smooth gear changes etc. Then I'll park up and when driving it a few hours later it's like I'm in a transit van? What is happening? Can anyone help?
I would say something isn't right there, I have the 190 tdi and I can honestly say it's really quiet, and when I say it goes it goes! I use to have a a4 170 tdi and I can honestly say the Tiguan out performs it in every way. I have driven the 150 tdi Tiguan on an extended test drive and to be honest I was a bit disappointed with the performance hence going for the 190, maybe a trip to the dealers might be called for

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stevie C said:
TMc1908 said:
I would say something isn't right there, I have the 190 tdi and I can honestly say it's really quiet, and when I say it goes it goes! I use to have a a4 170 tdi and I can honestly say the Tiguan out performs it in every way. I have driven the 150 tdi Tiguan on an extended test drive and to be honest I was a bit disappointed with the performance hence going for the 190, maybe a trip to the dealers might be called for
Ye will have to book it in...I'm driving 400 miles a week, on motorway and the noise and rubbish drive is just starting to really p!ss me off! Thanks Stevie

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad you got this sorted. I noticed your post about the car stick. Mine is in a USB adapter in the boot socket. Out of sight and no connectivity problems.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a 190ps diesel and found the power delivery and gear selection during the first 1k miles or more poor, not a flat spot so much as being in too high a gear, also found a strange engine noise on low revs compared to the cx5 I had, don't notice it now though at over 2k revs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got the 190 and tbh it's bedded in quite nicely. Lacked a little power for the first couple of thousand miles but now it runs like a dream. Lots of torque and will happily climb a steep hill full of kids and kit with no dramas. Great motorway cruiser as well.

Safe to say I'm glad I didn't go for the 150.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
xtrailman said:
I have a 190ps diesel and found the power delivery and gear selection during the first 1k miles or more poor, not a flat spot so much as being in too high a gear, also found a strange engine noise on low revs compared to the cx5 I had, don't notice it now though at over 2k miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts