Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked the car up last Thursday and it was tipping down with rain. Friday was a nice day here so I took a 40 mile round trip to see my Mum &Dad. With next to no miles on the clock the journey returned around 28mpg. Saturday we had a run up to Scotland overnight. About 150 miles each way, again it was tipping down with bloody rain! On the way up I averaged 34mpg. On the way back averaged 38mpg with the total mileage on the car 370miles by the time I got back. All on A roads and some motorway driving. Not nursing the car car either, but then again not ragging it either in its break in period. Adaptive cruise on the A roads. All in all I was very satisfied and I'm sure it wil get another 1 or 2mpg as it loosens up and that'll certainly do me.

Positives:
So quiet on the move
Impressive tech - love the active display
So easy to get in and out of (must be an age thing)
Good sounding sound std sound system
Seat became more comfortable as I tweaked the adjustments more to suit me
Relaxing drive
No sluggard

Negatives:
Probably a little more "rolly" around roundabouts than I would like
I would like a little more "direct" steering sensitivity. I need to check if this changes in Sport mode. If it does I may set up an Individual setting based on this
Lane assist - in general ok, but at speed on the motorway it caught me out as I pulled into lane after an overtake, giving the car a little wobble. Might turn this off. Again need to check if this can be assigned under personalisation as I would leave it on for the wife's key.
Seat bolsters on the backrest are a bit too far apart for my liking, would have liked them to hug a bit closer
Steering wheel would be much better if it were a bit fatter.

I've still to drive it at night to see the dynamic lighting and I'm looking forward to that. Had a sit it the car in my garage the other night and thought the internal ambient lighting looked superb

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds promising to me.
I've put out to the local dealers here in Northamptonshire for a test drive. Alas, none about at the moment. I've got it all spec'd and priced up ready to go.

A question, what's the in gear take off like. Does it have a fair bit to give?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well done Hart some good points.

On the lane assist side of things, if you had indicated before pulling in it would have cancelled lane assist for a temporary period of time - not complaining that you didn't indicate, just pointing it out in case you didn't realise. From what I have read, it should save as personal settings but I cant say as I don't get personal settings on 2wd.

Sorry to ask , but what do you mean by a little more "rolly"?

Ambient lighting I think is great effect.

As for dynamic lights - I experienced that for the first time the other night - most impressive, when I worked out how to turn it on. Even father in law was impressed sat in the front with me on how it lights up either side of the car in front and you see the car in the shadows in the middle that you are following. :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bhuna, what I mean is there is more body roll in corners than I expected, but it is an SUV so to be expected I suppose. The lane assist does indeed cancel when you indicate and for 95% of the journey I remembered this. The time I got the wobble was going back into lane 2 at motorway speed and didn't indicate 😳 My fault but easily forgotten

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hartside said:
Thanks Bhuna, what I mean is there is more body roll in corners than I expected, but it is an SUV so to be expected I suppose. The lane assist does indeed cancel when you indicate and for 95% of the journey I remembered this. The time I got the wobble was going back into lane 2 at motorway speed and didn't indicate 😳 My fault but easily forgotten
Try it in sport mode if you havnt already. It'll make you smile. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beagler said:
Hartside said:
Try it in sport mode if you havnt already. It'll make you smile. :D
Agree - much more responsive without any negative impact on fuel efficiency. With a further bit of running in you should find 38mpg easy to achieve and 40+ not unusual :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have done about 900miles in mine so far. Early on I did a nice 300mile round trip most motorways and A roads keeping the speed under 70... I was pleasantly shocked to find I was getting 41mpg... Now with round town mixed in i am hitting 32mpg... So very happy with that.

From experience with previous cars I would expect that to get better after say 5k to 10k, however I do intend drive it a little harder after the first 1.5k miles so that might cancel out things.

There's definitely plenty of roll in the corners, big tall car there's going to be compromise. I have dynamic chassis control specifically because I thought that might be the case. However, so far I have found myself enjoying comfort mode, when I'm in the mood for sport mode DCC I will report back!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bhuna said:
From what I have read, it should save as personal settings but I cant say as I don't get personal settings on 2wd.
My 2WD Tiggy has an option for individual custom settings in the menu, although I do have the DCC option. So far I've usually run it in Normal mode with forrays into Sport, Comfort and Eco. I'm not quite sure why Eco is in the DCC menu though as I only use it on long relaxed journeys I guess it's a form of 'Comfort/Normal' with the coasting thrown in.

As far as I'm concerned I have negligible body roll issues, even in Normal mode. However, my previous drive was a SEAT Alhambra (albeit the Styleance with sports suspension) so a case of perception and comparison. I'm certainly not complaining.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought the Mk1 was good on body roll for a 4x4, the Mk2 seems better.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I configured the individual mode tonight after a play in Sport mode on the way home. Set it up with the following:

Steering - Sport
Drive - Normal (flick of the DSG lever takes it to Sport, so happy with this)
ACC - Sport
Dynamic cornering lights - Sport (what does Sport mode do to the cornering lights I wonder?)
A/C - Normal

I'll try this over the next few days but I'm much happier with the steering in Sports mode

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hartside said:
Dynamic cornering lights - Sport (what does Sport mode do to the cornering lights I wonder?)
The sunroof opens and a pole goes up from the armrest and opens out into full blown stadium floodlights.... :D :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts