Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2l TDi DSG, SEL, 4Motion, Dynaudio, activedash, ACC,park assist, hook, Panroof 4 heated seats
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2017 SEL for a couple of months now, but it came with 20" wheels as standard & I don't like them at all, hunted around & managed to find a set of 18s a few miles away, but were tatty, blasted them & repainted with 2k & fitted a new set of tyres, look much nicer ( to me ) & the ride is MUCH better!!
I am now left with an as new set of 20" wheels & tyres!!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your car will also have sports suspension as it was part of the option with the 20" Miramar Grey wheels.

·
Registered
2017 2l TDi DSG, SEL, 4Motion, Dynaudio, activedash, ACC,park assist, hook, Panroof 4 heated seats
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's involved with the 'sports-suspension' then? Is it anything to do with the mode select knob, snow, off-road etc.
different sus geometry, or adjustable shocks??
I didn't realize my car had all this 'techie-stuff', & I think its something id rather not have, (more to go wrong) !!
Also, the front-door tread plates state 'offroad' what's that all about??

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
In 2018 VW introduced the Tiguan ‘Offroad’ model which was given a more rugged look than the standard model. It looks like the previous owner has got hold of some ‘Offroad’ scuff plates and fitted them to your car.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should be OK with the wheels as they are from the older mk1 2016 Tiguan.
As for the sill-plates, I think they are original as they have the built-in LED strip & look expensive to change ( they even go on when opening the doors )
Just had a quick looksee under & there's all sorts of pipes & wires going to all the shock-legs.:(
You can see the LED strip under the logo, full length.
Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Netbook Automotive exterior

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, just done a bit of 'research' & found that some 4motion variants have a different front & back 'approach-angles' , & maybe THATS what they mean by 'off road' ???
I have noticed that mine looks a bit different at the front when parked in supermarkets etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Should be OK with the wheels as they are from the older mk1 2016 Tiguan.
As for the sill-plates, I think they are original as they have the built-in LED strip & look expensive to change ( they even go on when opening the doors )
Just had a quick looksee under & there's all sorts of pipes & wires going to all the shock-legs.:(
You can see the LED strip under the logo, full length. View attachment 8737
You still need to inform your insurer that you changed the wheels. My passat had factory upgrades and they made a note of it on the system. Price didn't go up but because the wheels could affect the liklihood of theft yiu need to let them know.
Can't advise on whether you car has adaptive suspension, it may have been fitted however sport suspension is simply lowered and stiffened not adaptive - you can't have both, it's one or the other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so what's adaptive? Would that be all the pipes & wiring that go to the suspension legs??

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,013 Posts
OK, so what's adaptive? Would that be all the pipes & wiring that go to the suspension legs??
Adaptive is otherwise known as DCC, Dynamic Chassis Control, which is most likely all the pipes & wiring.
Sports Suspension is stiffer dampers and lower springs, DCC allows you to customise between firm and soft.
Found this too while I was looking.

The OFFROAD variant comes with black 18-inch Sebring alloy wheels as standard. Customers can also choose between the optional 19-inch “Auckland” and “Victoria Falls” wheels and the 20-inch “Kapstadt” wheel. Also standard are the multifunction steering wheel and the gear knob in leather, aluminium decorative inserts, pedals and foot rest in brushed stainless steel, and rugged rubber floor mats. Customers can also choose from a wide range of optional extras such as the “Active Info Display” digital instrument cluster, “Discover Pro” navigation system, “Trailer Assist” trailer manoeuvring system, and DCC adaptive chassis control.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just checked the info screen yet again, it has DCC,& can adjust for 'comfort, sport, eco etc. but I cant find anything for 'adaptive' suspension, or is it the same?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, my post clashed with yours!!
Mine does have trailer assist, digital cluster, 500w Dynaudio, heated rear seats, all LED lighting ( they turn with the steering ) & loads of other stuff to go wrong!! :(
BTW, I was out on a straight deserted road the other night, & thought Id try the ACC/lane assist, lifted hands off the wheel, a few seconds later the car 'beeped' wiggled the wheel & told my to take over, I ignored it, then it did it a bit more aggressively, the brakes came on momentarily, ignored yet again & the car came to a stop with the hazards flashing!!
So at least THAT works!
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just checked the info screen yet again, it has DCC,& can adjust for 'comfort, sport, eco etc. but I cant find anything for 'adaptive' suspension, or is it the same?
Yes the official VW name is DCC, when I say adaptive it's in the generic sense like calling a vacuum a hoover :)
Sounds like someone optioned that car up pretty well. To your point about stuff to go wrong, even if it does there are now 3rd party suppliers who can supply compatible dampers. As I say to everyone, look at the service plan including warranty, it can cover up to 10,years old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do actually have the Ross-Tech VCDS for the car, I had it many tears ago for my Passat, tried it on the Tig, didn't find it, but managed to update the software & it now finds it just fine, but I only know the basics, however, I did manage to re-set the haldex when I did an oil-change a month back.(y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts