Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have recently bought a used early 2021 Plug-in hybrid Tiguan and wondering if there is anyway to disable or modify the built-in low speed rumble noise it makes?

I know it's meant for safety purposes for pedestrians when driving electric, but I drive a lot in low speed areas and it's really started to bother me.

Is there anyway to disable it, modify it, make it quieter or only active at extremely low speeds?

I'm happy to take it to garage and pay for it, if it's just possible.

Thank you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Convert it to diesel ............. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have recently bought a used early 2021 Plug-in hybrid Tiguan and wondering if there is anyway to disable or modify the built-in low speed rumble noise it makes?

I know it's meant for safety purposes for pedestrians when driving electric, but I drive a lot in low speed areas and it's really started to bother me.

Is there anyway to disable it, modify it, make it quieter or only active at extremely low speeds?

Thank you.
I'd strongly caution against it. In the event of an accident and it was discovered you had disabled it you could end up it quite a bit of bother, I'd say the police would push for manslaughter if the person died.
You would be better discussing with VW can the noise be changed to something you prefer but never ever disable a safety device that the manufacturer doesn't permit you to disable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd strongly caution against it. In the event of an accident and it was discovered you had disabled it you could end up it quite a bit of bother, I'd say the police would push for manslaughter if the person died.
You would be better discussing with VW can the noise be changed to something you prefer but never ever disable a safety device that the manufacturer doesn't permit you to disable.
This is an interesting point, not considered that before. My wife has a full EV Nissan Leaf which makes a spaceship noise when moving slowly. There is a setting in the infotainment system to disable it, we haven’t actually done it but interesting that there are possible untried and untested ramifications if we were to do so.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
Hi mate. Other than the rumble noise issue, how is your experience with plug-in hybrid. Especially when driving in EV mode. I have just ordered one and would like a short review of someone who has purchased this. Most of my driving will be under 30 miles daily. Have you tried on EV mode and what is the real world range you get on EV? Also, do you know if you can control climate control via app from anywhere?

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Since July 2019, EU law has required electric cars to emit a sound similar to that generated by a conventional engine in speeds up to 20kph (about 12.5mph) to aid, for example, low sighted pedestrians. This is a requirement to sell cars in the EU and I assume since Brexit, this is one law we are keeping. You are not meant to be able to switch the noise permanently off but it may be possible on older cars made before July 2019.

New noise systems to stop ‘silent’ electric cars and improve safety - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Interestingly, the sound can be temporarily disabled when necessary ( I assume in slow moving traffic on a motorway for example).

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is an interesting point, not considered that before. My wife has a full EV Nissan Leaf which makes a spaceship noise when moving slowly. There is a setting in the infotainment system to disable it, we haven’t actually done it but interesting that there are possible untried and untested ramifications if we were to do so.

Cheers,

Nigel
Its a greyer area if the manufacturer allows you to turn it off but blind pedestrians in particular rely on noise to assess the risk. As someone who cycles as well I can tell you that because bikes don't make noise it's a big factor in pedestrians stepping in front of you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mate. Other than the rumble noise issue, how is your experience with plug-in hybrid. Especially when driving in EV mode. I have just ordered one and would like a short review of someone who has purchased this. Most of my driving will be under 30 miles daily. Have you tried on EV mode and what is the real world range you get on EV? Also, do you know if you can control climate control via app from anywhere?

Appreciate your feedback.
Its a video review but you might find this if you haven't seen it https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...o7QBegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Mxkfi9ibFD_buYvpOFtJ8

Also plenty of long term reviews of the passat GTE and Skoda Superb iV out there and they are 90% the same car. The Golf GTE is lighter so it's a useful comparison but will go around 10 miles further

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its a greyer area if the manufacturer allows you to turn it off but blind pedestrians in particular rely on noise to assess the risk. As someone who cycles as well I can tell you that because bikes don't make noise it's a big factor in pedestrians stepping in front of you.
And those damned e-scooters are even worse!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts