Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wonderful hot weather has made me wonder how good the 3 zone air con system is? And also how efficient is it at providing different temperatures to the driver, front passenger and rear passengers ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great change of weather, hoping the heated seats will remain out of action for quite some time. I like the accessibility and ease of use with the tri-zone air conditioning system, as opposed to having key aspects buried within an infotainment system (I'm looking at you, Volvo). Good selection of airflow options, would've liked it to automatically cool the windscreen in hot weather without manually directing it.

Doesn't take too long to get going once the car is in motion, haven't had much of an opportunity to test out its heating capabilities and de-misting/icing. Unfortunately in Ireland, you don't get the option of a heated windscreen. Heating will be something to experiment with - plenty of things to discover yet.

I must say that I'm not impressed with the cooling capabilities. It does give a reasonably cool flow of air, however, the car I've owned before pretty much spewed ice out the vents upon request and was essential in quickly cooling down the environment. Other than that, haven't heard any complaints about different temperature variations between driver and passenger, likewise with rear passengers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to say today was very warm and I had to angle the air vents up to stop the cold air blowing on me as it was freezing. Works well.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
alphaparticle said:
I must say that I'm not impressed with the cooling capabilities. It does give a reasonably cool flow of air
When I picked up my car in September I too was not impressed with the cooling capacity of the A/C. In actual fact, I'd accidentally hit the A/C button and switched it OFF :oops: .
I like to have the cabin quite cold, especially in the present climate, and find the system extremely capable.
Just check that, like me :oops: , you didn't accidentally switch it off. :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Being someone who dislikes the current high temperatures, an efficient air conditioning system is a must. Both my wife and myself have no complaints about the VW system. In fact I would rate it as the best we have ever had.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Same here Niggly.

I have played with it too and set driver side to Low and passenger side to 24 and am most surprised how well it can sort out and differentiate that in the car. My left arm does feel a little warmth from passenger side when I'm using the arm rest but generally it's pretty good. Moving my arm across into passenger side you feel it is quite a bit warmer than my drivers side then.

Haven't tried it 3 ways yet though (insert rude innuendo here if you wish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
alphaparticle said:
would've liked it to automatically cool the windscreen in hot weather without manually directing it.
We need to take care in this very hot weather directing very cold air onto very hot glass, I saw a cracked windscreen in a Golf yesterday that was caused by the AC going onto the windscreen

·
Registered
135 Posts
ACS said:
alphaparticle said:
would've liked it to automatically cool the windscreen in hot weather without manually directing it.
We need to take care in this very hot weather directing very cold air onto very hot glass, I saw a cracked windscreen in a Golf yesterday that was caused by the AC going onto the windscreen
That's pretty impressive for it to crack the windscreen, I have never seen or heard of that happening before-you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Never heard of that before either, the temperature difference and slow speed of air cooling it, it would never crack the glass like this. Perhaps there was a chip or fracture already which was made worse? In hot countries like Cyprus where 40+ is not unknown it's never an issue.

I will second the ability of the aircon in the Tiguan, it is very very good IMO. Cools the car down quickly and even when it has been 30degrees like it has been the last couple of days, it has cooled it down easily after a hot starts (ie car left with windows up in the sun), to the point I'm tweaking it to 20/21 and still feels too cold :lol: whereas in my old A3 it will be kept on LO for most of the journey in that kind of temperature (has had regas which made no difference, so just shows the Tiguan has a massively more powerful system).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed an issue in my recently bought vehicle, VW Tiguan 2018. Don't know if anyone else has encountered the same issue. Basically, I parked my vehicle under hot sun for more than 1 hour. Before that, the air condition was working pretty well. However, once I started the engine and turned the AC on, I found that hot weather is blown out exactly similar to a case when the AC is off.
I asked somebody to have a look at the vehicle. The technician told me that everything is right with the cooling system, i.e. there are no leaks of gas throughout the whole system. He believed this might be an option in Tiguan 2018 that makes the cooling system not blowing very cold weather when the vehicle is parked under hot sun for a considerably long period of time just to avoid window cracking.
I just want to know if this is true or not? Also, I'll appreciate if someone can help me to detect the root of this problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All VW cars since my 2000 yr BORA had initial fresh air blowt action to save energy and more quickly push out excess heated air inside, rather than cool it. It's normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mehmetTR said:
All VW cars since my 2000 yr BORA had initial fresh air blowt action to save energy and more quickly push out excess heated air inside, rather than cool it. It's normal.
Thanks for your reply. But, the air didn't cool till I arrived home which took 20 mins or more approximately. Is that common too?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Omid said:
mehmetTR said:
Thanks for your reply. But, the air didn't cool till I arrived home which took 20 mins or more approximately. Is that common too?
I think there is operator error in the process, I live in a climate where we see +40 degrees on a fairly normal basis. Turn the AC on>turn on AUTO AC>dial the temperature required, note if the temp selection is synchronised or not>do not select any vent controls, leave them all unlit and the air will come out of the dash vents which of course must be open. If no vent control is selected and the dash vents closed then air supply to the cabin would not happen (I am surmising here). We see well over 50 degrees in a parked car and the AC system makes it tolerable in a very short time, I usually wind a window down for a minute or so to vent the worst of the hot air but that is all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm having the same issue as above and only had the car a day. Checked the forum and did the checks ie all switches are on AC and auto and driver mode settings have AC set to normal. Can't understand as driving the car in the morning the climate was very cold and I had the temp sat at 20, driving home in 25 degree heat the climate isn't performing anywhere near what it was this morning and I had to open the windows as it was getting way too hot. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Keys said:
I'm having the same issue as above and only had the car a day. Checked the forum and did the checks ie all switches are on AC and auto and driver mode settings have AC set to normal. Can't understand as driving the car in the morning the climate was very cold and I had the temp sat at 20, driving home in 25 degree heat the climate isn't performing anywhere near what it was this morning and I had to open the windows as it was getting way too hot. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Set it down further to 18°C or below, does it get cooler?

·
Registered
388 Posts
If i turn mine down all the way it indicates "Lo" & the air is REALLY cold.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Turned it all the way down and through all temps from lo to 19. It's really confusing as the drive in the morning at even 20 it was nice cool air and when I dropped it to 17 it was Icey cold. Then parked up for meetings and left the car for a few hours by this point it was baking and when I turned on the climate it didn't work.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Please note the outside ambient when the problems occur as that is a very important point. We have moved into winter and I never turn the AC off at any time of year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well had to take it in for diagnostic as I was convinced it wasn't right. Appears the reparticulation filter flap is stuck which is why no cold air coming through. Got to drive to Devon with kids on Saturday so thank fully they are giving me another Tiguan for the week as they need to book it in 😢. Two days and 100 miles already got an issue. Strange thing is I drove home and now the side front vents are letting cold air out but not the front. Wondered if anyone new were the filter or flap is located so I could have a quick look tonight before dropping it off tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts