Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone had a 3rd party towbar fitted?
If so, what make did you buy and did you get 3rd party fitting or dealer fit?

Also is it only the lower part of the rear bumper thats removed?

Many Thanks Phil

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi yetirider and welcome, you don't say if you own a Tiguan yet. If not, and you're planning on a new one, is there any reason why you wouldn't want the bespoke towbar and electrics that can be factory fitted?.

Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi my car is at the dealers for collection on Friday, standard in stock car so not an option to have a factory fit.
2.0 TDI 150PS 4 Motion SEL.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If you have it fitted by a 'third party' yetirider instead of the dealer, just make sure they are VW approved as it may well affect your warranty if they don't do it right...ie the wiring etc. I know they are quite dear for fitting at a VW dealer, but see if they will do you a deal ;)
Chris

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the towball height should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the 'laden' condition......
What height is yours sitting at Chris :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
chris williamson said:
i will measure tomorrow and reply, possibly with in those limits but the hi side i would say?
thanks for your help, tows really well by the way, not run in yet?
photos a s a p.
Hi Chris, does the towball swing down or is it a permanent fixture :?: Once mine arrives and have run it in, I can't wait myself to see how it will tow my caravan. But it may well be next year now. :(
Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi yes i had the factory swiveling tow bar really easy to use , but its height is over 500mm and if you put the full 100kgs nose weight on, the suspension deflection is only about 25mm making the front of the van high, i think i will speak to the dealership tomorrow.also you will see if using a stabiliser hitch there is no room for error as the ball is exceptionally close to the bumper.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
chris williamson said:
hi yes i had the factory swiveling tow bar really easy to use , but its height is over 500mm and if you put the full 100kgs nose weight on, the suspension deflection is only about 25mm making the front of the van high, i think i will speak to the dealership tomorrow.also you will see if using a stabiliser hitch there is no room for error as the ball is exceptionally close to the bumper.
Have you got any pics Chris :?: :?: Have you any weight in the boot at all.....awning :?:

·
Registered
23 Posts
evening spoke to dealership today and awaiting reply. no pictures and the weight in the boot 50 kgs maybe.
but the starting height is where i think the problem is, i have had many tow cars none with this hitch height inc ,jeep cherokees.
i will keep you posted and try to learn how to upload ? photos.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
chris williamson said:
evening spoke to dealership today and awaiting reply. no pictures and the weight in the boot 50 kgs maybe.
but the starting height is where i think the problem is, i have had many tow cars none with this hitch height inc ,jeep cherokees.
i will keep you posted and try to learn how to upload ? photos.
Ok Chris.....thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good morning 'chris williamson'...... Did you get any feed back from your dealership on your tow-ball height :?: :?:

Regards Chris

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
:D Thanks very much for posting the pics 'Roy' ........the height seems about right & am glad it will ride higher on the Tig as on my Audi I felt it sat to low due to the sports suspension....(just run a tape measure up the side of my leg and that measurement is middle of my knee, whereas the Audi tow hitch below) :D ...... :eek: wow not much room to play with on the gap between bumper & hitch. I always have done but even more so now, when reversing to park up and stopping .....to apply the hand brake on the caravan and pull forward to stop the hitch on the 'A' frame from moving forward into the bumper when winding the Jockey wheel... :idea:
Regards Chris

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Chris
You are welcome. Excellent bit of kit although it is very close to min requirements of alko hitch. I unhitch in the same manor as you but when reversing car to van to hitch up i also take off auto hold to give better control at very very slow speed! Not much room for error!!
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Roy said:
Hi Chris
You are welcome. Excellent bit of kit although it is very close to min requirements of alko hitch. I unhitch in the same manor as you but when reversing car to van to hitch up i also take off auto hold to give better control at very very slow speed! Not much room for error!!
Cheers
Roy
Thanks for the heads up on that Roy...I will have to remember that tip, as I've never had auto-hold before :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts