Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject title states - my wife's 2017 - 190ps Tiguan R-Line has a muffled grating noise when decelerating at low speed and turning into corners :shock: :? it has only covered 1,300 miles!

She has had it looked at by the selling VW dealer and although the noise has been confirmed VW technical say it is a gearbox "characteristic" which I am not happy about. The dealer has supplied a similar car for comparison which although exhibited a similar noise it was not as obvious.

The dealer informs me that until a sizeable number of reports from other owners are submitted to VW Technical they will treat it as a "characteristic"

This issue is only applicable to 4 motion derivatives so if anyone else has this grating noise your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm not familiar with the DSG gearbox but I fail to see that any modern vehicle would have a mechanical grating sound as a characteristic. The turning into corners part suggests it is differential related. I would continue to push the dealer and VW themselves until you get a satisfactory conclusion.

·
Registered
953 Posts
GTD184 said:
As the subject title states - my wife's 2017 - 190ps Tiguan R-Line has a muffled grating noise when decelerating at low speed and turning into corners :shock: :? it has only covered 1,300 miles!

She has had it looked at by the selling VW dealer and although the noise has been confirmed VW technical say it is a gearbox "characteristic" which I am not happy about. The dealer has supplied a similar car for comparison which although exhibited a similar noise it was not as obvious.

The dealer informs me that until a sizeable number of reports from other owners are submitted to VW Technical they will treat it as a "characteristic"

This issue is only applicable to 4 motion derivatives so if anyone else has this grating noise your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)
I don't think My rline 4 motion has any noises like that, but if you want to drive out to bidford on Avon you can have a ride in mine as a comparison

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Again, no grating noise coming from my DSG either.

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miket said:
I don't think My rline 4 motion has any noises like that, but if you want to drive out to bidford on Avon you can have a ride in mine as a comparison
Miket I know you are a few miles from me but I might take you up on your kind offer ;)
The noise is only evident at low speeds when coming off the accelerator approaching road junctions or corners! VW service have confirmed the noise although as mentioned VW technical believe it to be a "characteristic" as the noise was apparent in a comparison Tiguan.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
niggly58 said:
I'm not familiar with the DSG gearbox but I fail to see that any modern vehicle would have a mechanical grating sound as a characteristic. The turning into corners part suggests it is differential related. I would continue to push the dealer and VW themselves until you get a satisfactory conclusion.
Totally agree niggly58 I have been pushing VW but they are using the fact that another Tiguan in their demo fleet has the same "characteristic" so believe it is a common trait!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miket I have sent you a PM!

·
Registered
627 Posts
GTD184 said:
niggly58 said:
Totally agree niggly58 I have been pushing VW but they are using the fact that another Tiguan in their demo fleet has the same "characteristic" so believe it is a common trait!
Absolutely disgusting how they are happy to quickly say its a common trait rather than a possible common fault without actually further investigating.

That's a bit like telling the thread of "stop b.oody braking" - its a common trait - get used to it...

To be on the safe side, start keeping a formal log of all visits etc and concerns etc and the visits and checks and their responses. If still concerned no actual proper investigation into it etc, then write a formal letter of complaint BEFORE warranty runs out.

Then if no luck with that, and warranty runs out and then something goes wrong with the gearbox because of the grinding etc and at an unreasonable period of time (ie non expected lifetime of the gearbox) - you have evidence that you logged this before the warranty run out and therefore they should be the ones paying for repair etc. Not sure if it will hold up (as I am not legally trained) but you can always try and you have kept logs etc of it all strengthening any case you might have.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The only noise I hear occasionally (depending on ambient noises, like fan/radio etc) is a slightly whine in 2nd decelerating. Hopefully this may go away as the gearbox beds in.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There used to be a saying, "Two wrongs don't make a right".
Dealers using another- possibly faulty too- car to dismiss a possible fault in another cannot be right.
We have seen others commenting that theirs exhibited no such noise.
A Google search will throw up many reports in recent times of recalls and similar faults with the DSG gearboxes, some related to the type of oil used in them.
Persevere until it's sorted.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
niggly58 said:
There used to be a saying, "Two wrongs don't make a right".
Dealers using another- possibly faulty too- car to dismiss a possible fault in another cannot be right.
We have seen others commenting that theirs exhibited no such noise.
A Google search will throw up many reports in recent times of recalls and similar faults with the DSG gearboxes, some related to the type of oil used in them.
Persevere until it's sorted.
Niggly58 Thanks for your contribution and support.

After the issues I had with the DSG with my Mk7 GTD I should have known better maybe!!

I will continue my quest to get a resolution to what could be yet another DSG recall in the making!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That's no problem GTD184.
We live and learn- I had three more Citroens after my hydropneumatic Citroen Xantia, but eventually lost faith in the marque.
So far german engineering is serving me well.
I'm sure we will all be interested to hear the outcome of your issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noticed the same noise on my 190 dsg when i got the car. Doesnt catch my ear every time. So il be keeping my ear out from now on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Viper88 said:
I noticed the same noise on my 190 dsg when i got the car. Doesnt catch my ear every time. So il be keeping my ear out from now on.
Viper88 the noise is only apparent when lifting off the accelerator when the gearbox downshifts approaching a junction or corner at about 20/30mph. As soon as you press the accelerator the noise disappears. It does sound eerily like the gear has disengaged and is just "coasting"!

Given that VW group spend £millions on R&D, in particular NVH I am of the opinion that the issue I am experiencing is not a characteristic that was evident during the Tiguan development!

It is also interesting that this issues appears to be related only to 190ps 4 motion derivatives.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
GTD184 said:
Viper88 the noise is only apparent when lifting off the accelerator when the gearbox downshifts approaching a junction or corner at about 20/30mph. As soon as you press the accelerator the noise disappears. It does sound eerily like the gear has disengaged and is just "coasting.
Have you got coasting turned on, maybe it is what it sounds like?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tricky said:
GTD184 said:
Viper88 the noise is only apparent when lifting off the accelerator when the gearbox downshifts approaching a junction or corner at about 20/30mph. As soon as you press the accelerator the noise disappears. It does sound eerily like the gear has disengaged and is just "coasting.
Do you mean Eco mode? I do not believe the modes can be changed on 4 motion R-lines as I attempted to press the centre "Mode" button last week and it is fixed, presumably because it does not have dynamic chassis control?!

It is definitely a mechanical noise and as it has been confirmed by the dealer so I am of the opinion that it is definitely a gearbox/differential defect.

I have now taken this issue up with VW as I am not happy to wait for a gearbox failure or associated issues to arise later into the car ownership.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My friend had similar noise in passat 150tdi dsg
There was some problems with dsg (mehatronics).
But the VW service fix the problem only when the noise was much lauder, and had problem going into D. Think it had only about 30 000., and was fixed under warranty.
At first they also said: THIS IS NORMAL.
But like Niggly said: its not normal

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
GTD184 said:
Tricky said:
GTD184 said:
Do you mean Eco mode? I do not believe the modes can be changed on 4 motion R-lines as I attempted to press the centre "Mode" button last week and it is fixed, presumably because it does not have dynamic chassis control?!

It is definitely a mechanical noise and as it has been confirmed by the dealer so I am of the opinion that it is definitely a gearbox/differential defect.

I have now taken this issue up with VW as I am not happy to wait for a gearbox failure or associated issues to arise later into the car ownership.
There was an option pre mk2 which is coasting. This literally drops the clutch when off the accelerator, disconnecting the engine from the gearbox. So no I'm not specifically talking about eco mode, however there is a long thread elsewhere on here about whether coasting as a discrete option actually exists on recent models even though it's listed in the brochure.

I just mentioned it as you had said the sound was like coasting and the conditions when you hear the noise it match the coasting I know. Certainly on the mk1, if coasting is enabled in the mfd, you can see it active as the display of current gear in the mfd, e.g D6 changes to D without a number when you lift off the accelerator. Of course this is all based on the mk1 which I have and it may all be totally different on the Mk2.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts