Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a previous thread asking about Haldex 4wd oil changes etc.

I thought I’d add some info to assist those with 4wd vehicles.

4wd Tiguan cars have the Haldex gen 5 system. VW recommends a Haldex oil change every couple of years, but what they don’t include is the cleaning of the strainer, which is actually the primary reason for the Haldex pump unit failing.

Cleaning the haldex filter/strainer should be done routinely as it gets clogged with what some people call “frog spawn” which is really old thickened oil and clutch pack material. Some vw dealers do offer the cleaning and re-oil service for about £90 I believe. If you just have the oil changed, or even worse you don’t even have that done, then you run the risk of burning out the pump unit.

Whilst the strainer cleaning is not made public knowledge by VW, they do recommend just the Haldex oil change. However the actual strainer cleaning is part of a technical service bulletin that the Haldex manufacturer provides. It’s just that vw don’t do it routinely as there is more profit in the replacing of the pump than the cleaning. Typically they only charge £90 for strainer cleaning and oil change, whereas they charge £600 for pump changes (the actual pump costs £200). So in this case preventative maintenance is definitely worth doing.

This is a very good video of the maintenance undertake. It’s not my video, but shows all aspects. Hope this helps the 4wd community,

cheers
Axel

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
2017 pure white Tiguan R-Line 150 4Motion
22 Posts

4wd Tiguan cars have the Haldex gen 5 system. VW recommends a Haldex oil change every couple of years, but what they don’t include is the cleaning of the strainer, which is actually the primary reason for the Haldex pump unit failing.

Cleaning the haldex filter/strainer should be done routinely as it gets clogged with what some people call “frog spawn” which is really old thickened oil and clutch pack material. Some vw dealers do offer the cleaning and re-oil service for about £90 I believe. If you just have the oil changed, or even worse you don’t even have that done, then you run the risk of burning out the pump unit.

Whilst the strainer cleaning is not made public knowledge by VW, they do recommend just the Haldex oil change. However the actual strainer cleaning is part of a technical service bulletin that the Haldex manufacturer provides. It’s just that vw don’t do it routinely as there is more profit in the replacing of the pump than the cleaning. Typically they only charge £90 for strainer cleaning and oil change, whereas they charge £600 for pump changes (the actual pump costs £200). So in this case preventative maintenance is definitely worth doing.

This is a very good video of the maintenance undertake. It’s not my video, but shows all aspects. Hope this helps the 4wd community,

cheers
Axel

cheers
Axel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Axel, first of all thank you very much for the information. I find this very helpful as I think mine is due soon. I’m looking at doing this myself. The only question I have about this is when the oil and strainer have been done and it’s all back together, does the car need any coding of any kind to complete this ? If so, have you any information about it ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No coding is required at all, so long as the pump is working at the outset. That’s because you‘re just changing the oil and cleaning the strainer only. It should really be part of the routine maintenance, because if the pump fails then it’s a totally new pump and that does have to be coded.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
No coding is required at all, so long as the pump is working at the outset. That’s because you‘re just changing the oil and cleaning the strainer only. It should really be part of the routine maintenance, because if the pump fails then it’s a totally new pump and that does have to be coded.

cheers
Thank you very much Axel. That’s the answer I was hoping for. I should be able to do this myself now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have expanded on my answer a bit more, what I should have said : if the pump is working and it’s pretty clean and you don’t disconnect anything then you don’t need to code anything, but if fitting a pump, or even just after an extensive clean out and service where it’s been necessary to pull the pump out, you should carry out the “pump learn” function in the “basic settings” of the Haldex control unit, VCDS/VAGCOM can do this and so can the main dealer ODIS system.

The control unit learns how much power is required to run the pump until the pressure hits a certain threshold, if the strainer has been clogged or is very dirty, even before it’s thrown a fault code, it will require more pressure than a fully cleaned system. By carrying out the learn function when fitting a new pump or if you’ve cleaned a lot of crud out, it will learn the correct power values and thus engage the system correctly.

Axel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts