Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Totally new to these forums but have found great information so far. I'm hoping to order an R-line soon and was hoping some of you owners could help me out with info. For some background, I'm in Ireland and coming from an Audi saloon; have had Golfs in the past and loved them; the R-line is a package here in Ireland, not a trim; very few dealers here have an R-line in stock so am reduced to checking out pics; and finally, I do astronomical mileage every year so the car is partly my office.

If you guys could answer any of the following, I'd much appreciate it:

1. The R-line comes with LED highlights as standard but there is an LED headlights with Dynamic Light Assist. Does anyone know the difference? Am looking for pics if possible. Are both full LED sets? I don't want anything halogen.

2. Hope to get the R-line interior and exterior package. The pics of the interior seem to show the that R-line steering wheel is chunkier than the normal Highline model (I think SEL in UK). Can anyone confirm? My Audi is well overpriced but one of the good things it has is a really nice chunky steering wheel and am looking for same in the Tiguan.

3. Any thoughts on the heated steering wheel?

4. Any thoughts on the panoramic roof?

5. Any thoughts on the Driver Assistance System with Side Assist and Rear Traffic Alert.

6. What are the Suzuka 20" wheels like on your roads? Country and city.

7. Do the DSG boxes come with Auto Start/Stop function? I really want it so in a traffic jam the car will use the ACC, stop and then start up again and follow behind without me having to do it.

8. Do the rear windows have a tint and if so, do you know what %?

9. Is there a foot rest or at least space to rest your right foot? The Audi does not have any space and it drives me up the walls.

10. Any other must-haves? I would love the 4motion but thanks to double taxation in Ireland (VAT + VRT), the 4motion is €3500 more so that's out for this purchase this time around but if you have something else worth having, please let me know.

If you're still reading (!), thanks and if you can any answer of these, it would be awesome!

Cheers!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello Ireland - here are the answers I can give you as I own an R line .
Just a question when you say Ireland you mean Eire......ie the southern bit where Dublin is ? - (a stupid question here do you drive on the right or the left there ?)

I have copied your questions direct and answered them underneath.
What I will tell you is that I moved from an Audi A4 avant to this new car and I can totally recommend what you will be buying. Audi's are rock solid and the interiors are fab but you do pay heavily for the badge !

1. The R-line comes with LED highlights as standard but there is an LED headlights with Dynamic Light Assist. Does anyone know the difference? Am looking for pics if possible. Are both full LED sets? I don't want anything halogen.

All my lights on the exterior of the car are LED's - The headlights are totally white when turned on and the red clusters are brilliant red when used. In fact if you stand behind the vehicle they are VERY bright and may cause dazzle to cars behind if you keep your foot on the brake !

To answer your question on Dynamic Light Assist look at theses links

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/comfort-and-convenience/dynamic-light-assist_
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/comfort-and-convenience/dynamic-light-assist

Just to say it works and it works really well. When you first start up the car the headlights do a "self scan" - its quite spooky at first until you get used to it as the car seems to come alive and scan in front......(You will notice as well that the cars headlights have a very distinctive outline - quite a mean look !)

Neat trick is that you turn the lights on swith to auto and it turns all your lights on and off as it sees fit - ie if it suddenly goes darker or you drive under a tunnel etc.

2. Hope to get the R-line interior and exterior package. The pics of the interior seem to show the that R-line steering wheel is chunkier than the normal Highline model (I think SEL in UK). Can anyone confirm? My Audi is well overpriced but one of the good things it has is a really nice chunky steering wheel and am looking for same in the Tiguan.

The steering wheel is very similar to an Audi.....it has the flattened bottom end - very comfortable to use - all the buttons on it illuminate when you turn the lights on....

3. Any thoughts on the heated steering wheel?

I don't think I have that on mine.....not that I have found it ! - but mines does have heated front seats and they are very very good......warms your derriere in a flash.....

4. Any thoughts on the panoramic roof?

Wonderful piece of kit.....it comes in two parts.....there is an interior cloth covered shield that you can slide back and just have the glass showing......then the glass itself can be opened.....or opened and slid back to whatever position you want it to be. As we are having exceptionally mild weather here in the UK at the moment I have had it opened twice whilst parked and it really opened the inside of the car up.....not driven with it open yet......so not sure of road noise.

5. Any thoughts on the Driver Assistance System with Side Assist and Rear Traffic Alert.

Driver assist - excellent.....Adaptive Cruise - excellent.....Side assist - has made me a better driver as I now indicate when I want to change lanes.....and if something is in my blind spot it warns me ....happened once so far when a LGV decided that he didnt want to stay in the lane !

6. What are the Suzuka 20" wheels like on your roads? Country and city.

This worried me a little as well but I can honestly say that there is little or no thump or discomfort when driving....even when you hit the lane studs on the motorway there is a slight noise but the suspension and seats absorb all that.....here in Yorkshire where I live we have some of the sh!ttiest road surfacs in England......apart from the "fall in and climb out" potholes I would say the ride is as good as if not better than the Audi.

7. Do the DSG boxes come with Auto Start/Stop function? I really want it so in a traffic jam the car will use the ACC, stop and then start up again and follow behind without me having to do it.

I have a manual - and it has start stop.....I also have ACC - (Bit strange at first as you set the speed then it slows as the car in front slows but if you move out a lane it speeds up.) - Only had one cretin cut me up so far and it braked hard....not too good for me.....as for the guy behind.. whopps brown trousers !

8. Do the rear windows have a tint and if so, do you know what %?

Yes on the UK r Line - tinted windows are standard.....and obviously legal.....not sure of the % but they are dark to look at and provide a definite darker view if you sit in the back....

9. Is there a foot rest or at least space to rest your right foot? The Audi does not have any space and it drives me up the walls.

Good question.....so good in fact I stopped typing here for a look and went back out to look.....yes lots of room both to the left and right....I assume if you get a DSG there will be even more. I can tell you the footwell is bigger than the Audi but the accelorator pedal is se to a steeper angle and I am still getting used to that. In the Audi I tended to just use the top end of my foot to press the gas.....in the Tigaun it works better if your whole foot is on the pedal.

10. Any other must-haves? I would love the 4motion but thanks to double taxation in Ireland (VAT + VRT), the 4motion is €3500 more so that's out for this purchase this time around but if you have something else worth having, please let me know.

Would recommend the rear view camera and the parking assist.....the camera is very good and you can turn it on and watc people trying to creep up on you. The park assist make you park like a pro.....so you can impress Granny and all the neighbours.
I have 4 motion.....where I live gets snow and crappy weather in winter. Even with it not turned onto snow mode the car sticks to the road like glue.....yet to drive it in really wet weather......but we have sections of motorway here that do not drain well and in the audi sometimes it got a bit twitchy....

I would recommend this new Tiguan to anyone......and thats coming from an Audi (albeit it an old one built like a tank) - You will enjoy the high up driving position.

One thing to mention is AdBlue - not sure if that will be an issue where you are from - but it will need topping up . Main dealers seem to vary how much they charge for this but some of us are lucky yo have a big petrol station who sell it. The car will not go a full service year without a top up.....and be warned failure to add the stuff means your car will stop.....and not start. Hvae a look in the forums for AdBlue it explains it well there.

Thats ya lot from me....ALL YOU HAVE TO DO NOW IS DECIDE ON COLOUR......but thats another story - .......psssst looks fabby in Tungsten Silver !......but thaat just my view....:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terrier,

Thanks so much for taking lots of time to answer those questions. Yes, all RHD here in the Rep. Ire. Agreed on the Audi interiors but not sure I could ever pay for all the extras in them again most of which should be standard.

Current offer from VW here is 1/2 price R-line, 1/2 price 3 yr service and pano roof, app connect and easy open package for €1000. I think it has Park Assist and camera are standard on our Highline models.

Thanks for the heads-up about Ad Blue. I would typically be in for two services a year anyway but I'll def look into it.

Colour: Indium Grey is looking like the winner.

Thanks for all your help!

If anyone else has thoughts, would love to hear them too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Totally agree with terrier 1964.
Only things I would add are that ACC is great but you do need to touch accelerator (or steering wheel button) to start it from complete stop in traffic. For some reason it says ready to start but doesn't without encouragement but its no great problem.
Sorry to hear 4 motion is so expensive - this has been covered on another thread and we all agreed it was a must. I would drop other options to have it or even get a lower spec with 4 motion. Wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont know about you guys but here in Sweden the que assist comes in a seperate package not connected to the ACC which is standard. Package is below.
"Side Assist inkl. Rear Traffic Alert, Emergency Assist & Traffic Jam Assist (DSG)"

·
Registered
610 Posts
Totally agree with the replies terrier gave you, I have a r line Tsi with dsg and it does have stop start. I'm also very pleased with the Tiguan overall, but I was a bit worried about the 20" wheels but I had nothing to worry about. Where I live there are some horrendous roads yes you get a rumble on the really bad stuff but it's still comfy and my filling are still all present. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
You are welcome on the answers - sorry I cannot help that you drive on the "wrong side of the road" - you might have to leave the EU and come and join us to get that fixed :lol:

Here's a question though - when you travel from the south to the north at what point do the roads swap over ? - would hate to get that bit wrong. At last when you go to Europe you know when you arrive to drive on the right.

I think I read somewhere as well that there are settings where you can change your MPH to KM and that there is another setting to auto adjust the headlights to point to the other side of the road.

One thing you will notice with all the posts here is that 99% of owners are pretty impressed with the car ......and only NegativePitch had an issue which meant he handed the car back and got a brand new replacement without a fuss. Thats pretty impressive I think.

Keep firing the questions - someone will help you with the answers....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It is Right Hand drive (the car, that is) in the Republic of Ireland 'Terrier1964'........ the same as you in the wildest 'White rose of Yorkshire' :lol: We'll let you off mate :roll: ;) :lol: ps Just use your passport to come & visit the 'Red Rose of Lancashire' pmsl :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most importantly (if applicable in Ireland) make sure you get a good price. Carwow, drivethedeal and carfile are good. I got just under £5k off the RRP of my R-Line. I just found best price I could and said to my local dealer if they could match it I'd order with them then and there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the confusion Terrier but I meant the car is RHD!

Thanks for all the other views. I would love 4motion but I'd have to drop nearly everything else to get it and I loves me some toys. I change my car quite regularly due to high mileage so maybe next time.

Does anyone have any views on the R-line steering wheel? I'm interested to know if it's bigger than the standard VW highline one.

Do all your R-lines come with full LED fronts? I'm still a bit dubious as to what is sold here in Ireland.

I'll ask the dealer all these questions but I like to have the answer first to know they're not pulling a fast one! To be fair, the VW dealer I use here is really helpful.

And Terrier, if you aren't familiar with Ireland and our driving sides, I can suggest the mountains of Wicklow to test out your 4motion! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Chocolatewally,

Agree with all the other guys. I've got an SEL but R-Line does look superb.

The Tig steering wheel feels lovely and heated is great.
3 options that I love.
HUD - you think its trivial but once you have it, its great.
Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation - Brilliant.
Park assist with rear view camera - A must have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Holey Moley - what was I thinking - of course you drive on the correct side....I will get some pics of the front end of my R line for you soon....I am just a little wary of showing the reg plate for fear of cloning.

I have been to Dublin.....on a weeken trawling the usual boozy bars but never further afield - so I might just take a trip over sometime......perhaps we should all pitch up outside your house in our Tiguans just to show you whats on offer....!

·
Registered
70 Posts
chocolatewally said:
Do all your front LEDs look like this?

View attachment 390

or this?

View attachment 391

My configurator is giving me the top ones but I'm looking for the bottom ones. The price list description isn't helping.
As far as I know, both are LED, but the bottom one is with the "high/mid LEDs" with dynamic light assist etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Terrier1964 said:
Holey Moley - what was I thinking - of course you drive on the correct side....I will get some pics of the front end of my R line for you soon....I am just a little wary of showing the reg plate for fear of cloning.
Thanks. Just the lights would be great. Also, would love to see close-ups of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
raven1483 said:
chocolatewally said:

View attachment 390

or this?

View attachment 391

My configurator is giving me the top ones but I'm looking for the bottom ones. The price list description isn't helping.
As far as I know, both are LED, but the bottom one is with the "high/mid LEDs" with dynamic light assist etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Chocolatewally,

I am based in Ireland and recently ordered the following Tiguan:

2.0 TDI DSG
R Line Interior and Exterior
Vienna Leather
Trailer Hitch
Atlantic Blue
DynAudio Radio

I had many questions like you too as the product brochure is not great and the configurator is rubbish.

If you have any further specific questions let me know and I will try to answer. I am based in Cork.
All the best,
Niceone

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
telcom said:
chocolatewally said:

View attachment 390

or this?

View attachment 391

Have look at this video from McAllister Volkswagen, I believe they are from Ireland.
Thanks for this!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts