Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Ad blu

40K views 67 replies 34 participants last post by  Miket 
#1 ·
How are people getting on with ad blu. My SEL 190 TDI showed I had a 1,000 miles left at 6,000 miles driven. Had it topped up at Clark's in Greenock as away from home. Took 30 minutes and cost £57. They strongly advised not to try it myself. As this was my first top up what do others do?

#2 ·
Well I would like to think I would get at least 10,000 miles before top-up...... :idea: :arrow: Me personally, I think I may buy a litre bottle they sell with the special filling nozzle to do yourself and then buy it in a bigger container (say 40 Ltrs) and top-up the small ltr bottle to keep re-filling. Be interesting 'salmonfisher' to see what other peoples thoughts are on this :?:

#3 ·
I'm at 8500 miles and just topped up for 2nd time with 10 litres of Adblue, bought from local service station for £12. Topping up was easy, just made sure that I taped some protection over the car paintwork below the filler nozzle and used a pint jug to fill, and had some water to wash it off in event of a spill. I might consider the same as stumpy, get one bottle with special filler, use, then cut the bottom off and use that to fill. Unfortunately I don't know how full the Adblue was when I got the car.

G
#4 ·
You don't need to cut the bottom off the special Adblue bottles, the neck unscrews (albeit on a 'ratchet' screw, twist hard) and you can refill the bottle from a bulk container, screw the neck back on and keep using it, again and again.

#5 ·
Thanks rtigtony, it was a bit of a faff doing it with the milk jug :), I will get one with the special nozzle for next time. I waited till it was empty and needed the full 2 gallon top up, but much cheaper in bulk. Most petrol stations around here now keep it in 2 gallon size. I would still protect my paintwork and have lots of water handy.

#6 ·
Adblue is available from the pump, in the same way you refuel your vehicle, at non-supermarket fuel suppliers. Approx £0.67/litre.

#7 ·
Hi ChrisC, ive seen these in the service stations on the M6 and M74, unfortunately none around the local garages yet, but I guess its only a matter of time as more cars come euro6 compliant, that most service stations will install them. Wasn't sure about using them in case they pumped in too quick, as they were designed for commercial vehicle filling.

#9 ·
Just take it to VW. Number 6 of their promise in the uk is you can just roll up without a booking and they will fill it on the spot for £1.50 per litre including vat and labour.

A bone dry 12 litre tank is therefore just £18. I'd rather let vw uk do it whilst i have a free coffee in the waiting area

And btw vw quote 3-4000 miles max on 12 litres. It seems it's being exceeded on this forum by the majority

Attachments

#10 ·
This may be a stupid question but if I was to use fuel station adblue and not VW adblue could that affect my warranty ?

#11 ·
No, in all honesty, I have not yet had to use a filling station pump to top up with Adblue - I have just explored the local situation in anticipation.
The two stations close to me providing this service have pumps intended for use by domestic vehicles, not larger commercial vehicles requiring higher pump flow rates. As paperman says, they will no doubt become more widely available in due course.
Ed1, Adblue is merely urea and distilled water. VW should not try to persuade you that their's is somehow unique. In time, topping up with Adblue will become as routine as filling up with diesel, if less frequent.

#14 ·
salmonfisher said:
Winrya
I did take it to VW - Arnold Clark in Greenock (main dealer but not mine as I was 400 miles from home) and was charged £57 including £37 labour. I know its Scotland but surely should have been covered. Where did you find this promise?
That's out of order as they've clearly just ripped you off. Its on the vw website under their service promises http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/service-promise

#15 ·
Think you may have answered your own question there 'salmonfisher' :!: :arrow: Arnold Clark :mrgreen: :!: :!: Agree with Winrya

#18 ·
I too was concerned about refilling the adblue myself, but bought the small container from halfords with the valve and a large container to top the small container up reasonably priced,worked well, no spillage infact it was a "piece of piss"....if you will excuse the pun.

#19 ·
vw will also sell you the 10 litre container to do it yourself, and its no different to any other Adblue. Taking it back to the dealer for top is fine, but not handy when working all week. It is easy to fill. No expertise required.

#20 ·
AD blue is basically the contents of a pigs bladder mixed with water.

Here is a site showing locations of garages that sell it

http://uk.air1.info/en/adblue-supply/adblue-filling/

I have two questions please

1. How can you tell how much AD Blue you car has used ? - is there a button you press that shows it or do you just get a warning when it needs topping up ?

2. Someone mentions a screw on tube in a post above - what is the part number for this and does it have to come from VW or is it a standard fit available on well known sites like Amazon or Ebay ?

#23 ·
Just been to VAG dealer to check about AdBlu.

You do indeed have a promise where they will fill the tack for £1.50 + VAT/litre. You can normally just turn up and it take less than 10 minutes. Tigs have a 16 litre AdBlu tank so say you have to fill up 14 litres, thats going to cost you £1.80 * 14 = £25.20.

Or, you can buy a 2 litre bottle for £5.50 (£2.75/litre) which as a special screw top on it which you put into the nozzle and the seal breaks so no spills. The dealer also suggested that you can cut the bottom off and use it as a funnel for the big 10 litre bottles.

Might as well go to the dealer at a weekend. At least they will fix it if they spill it.

Apparently, this is horrible stuff and they don't recommend carrying it in the boot as spills really mess things up. Also, if you run out, the Tig will only allow you to start the engine 5 times and the refuses to start unless you fill to the top.

#24 ·
Hi terrier1964, you can check from the dash how many miles to empty and how much to fill. If you select fuel consumption on your display, then use the up key on the right hand side of steering wheel to cycle to ad blue consumption. I've had 2 refills, cost £24, disappointed as I was told by vw when buying the car that it would last between services. It's not handy for me to get to dealer for top up, but it's easy to do. Instructions are also in manual on how to fill. Yes it is corrosive, but only if it's left and not washed off.

#26 ·
I will fill mine at the pump when I get mine.
It's just like filling up with petrol/diesel, why would u go to a dealer for something so easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.