Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just bought a 2021 tiguan 150cv diesel r line with dsg, and live in spain. When using the ACC i set it at 110k, it slows when i catch slower vehicles, and accelerates when i pull out and pass, all good there. But at some motorway junctions the limit goes down to 100k and we slow down, but then when the limit is back up to 120k the car goes up to 120 not my set 110. This does not seem correct to me.
Your views please thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine does the same. I believe it is behaving correctly, as per VW design intentions, in that it sets itself to the appropriate current speed limit detected. I simply adjust my speed up or down with a couple of clicks on the steering wheel controls.
As an example, if I turn ACC on whilst in a 60 mph section of road but I’m doing 50 mph the car sets itself at 50 mph. If I then drive through a 40 mph stretch of road it drops to 40 mph. If I then re-enter a 60 mph stretch of road it will increase to 60 mph until I drop the speed manually.
Equally if I’m doing 65 mph in a 60 mph zone and I turn on ACC it will set at 65mph until I go through a different speed zone. In this case, if it drops to 40 mph, then back to 60 mph it will go to 60 mph and not my previous 65 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, it has helped, but its not ideal. As you say its quite easily rectified with a few presses on the steering wheel.
I read in the manual that you can turn off the active speed recognition and warning sign, but its not an option it the settings
Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine does the same. I believe it is behaving correctly, as per VW design intentions, in that it sets itself to the appropriate current speed limit detected. I simply adjust my speed up or down with a couple of clicks on the steering wheel controls.
As an example, if I turn ACC on whilst in a 60 mph section of road but I’m doing 50 mph the car sets itself at 50 mph. If I then drive through a 40 mph stretch of road it drops to 40 mph. If I then re-enter a 60 mph stretch of road it will increase to 60 mph until I drop the speed manually.
May I ask - does this happen regardless of whether you are actually using the in-built Sat-Nav?

·
Registered
282 Posts
May I ask - does this happen regardless of whether you are actually using the in-built Sat-Nav?
Yes, the Sat-Nav status is academic. I think the system uses GPS but doesn’t depend on navigation being in use.

Reactions: Trims

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It definitely slows down and then speeds up, faster than what i have set it too when using the ACC without the vw sat nav, and possibly when using the sat but not too sure about that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I've got a vague memory that speed limits in Spain reduce at junctions. Could it be that the the speed limiter is just following protocol?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried turning off the road sign recognition feature? as I believe the ACC system is detecting the change in speed limit by reading the signage? as it makes no difference whether you are using sat nav or not and I can't believe that someone has gone to the trouble of gps locating every single speed limit sign?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes your correct they do at some junctions, down to 100k but my main gripe is that the car then accelerates up to 120 eventhough ive set it to 110??

·
Registered
282 Posts
I still believe it's working correctly. If it didn't adjust to the current identified speed it wouldn't be working correctly. There's no way for it to know you intended it to be at 110 "after" a speed limit change. It can only do what it's designed to do and set itself to the limit it sees.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I disagree it should revert to your previous set speed unless it exceeds the limit, otherwise the car is going quicker than you intended.
70mpg while towing for example is illegal I believe.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I disagree it should revert to your previous set speed unless it exceeds the limit, otherwise the car is going quicker than you intended.
Good point re towing. However, there is no provision offered for adapting the speed to anything other than what the system reads. At present there is nothing within the settings that allows us to alter the behaviour of the car at detected speeds other than adjusting the setting manually after the system detects the new speed. Do VW even recommend using ACC whilst towing, for example, for that very reason? I don't know, just speculating...

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you have the original towbar and wiring all correctly coded, it knows when you are towing and adjusts the speeds accordingly, or so the brochure says.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I've got a vague memory that speed limits in Spain reduce at junctions. Could it be that the the speed limiter is just following protocol?
The latest satnav systems use gps to slow down for bends and islands.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Equally if I’m doing 65 mph in a 60 mph zone and I turn on ACC it will set at 65mph until I go through a different speed zone. In this case, if it drops to 40 mph, then back to 60 mph it will go to 60 mph and not my previous 65 mph.
hi mine does not do that it only speeds back up to the set speed. it will slow to maintain the gap set. this is using the sat nav or not it makes no difference, however i don't use the sat nav as they are poor. Google maps is vastly superior.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, mine slows down behind a vehicle and then returns to my set speed. But, if I go through another speed limit (say a 40 when I was set at 50 in a 60 zone) if I then move from the 40 zone to a 60 zone it will set itself to 60. And if it didn’t do that I would report it as a fault.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If you have the original towbar and wiring all correctly coded, it knows when you are towing and adjusts the speeds accordingly, or so the brochure says.
I've done over 70mph joining a motoway with the caravan in tow (not for long) and the car has the factory fitted towbar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've done over 70mph joining a motoway with the caravan in tow (not for long) and the car has the factory fitted towbar.
Your signature says you have a 2019, it does not have the more advanced driver assistance pack as the current model. As for your speeding, I'm saying nothing 😂.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have never used it and my car is one of the first models so take this for what it is worth. Can the speed limit function be used to set the speed not to be exceeded?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts