Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed an additional two USB charging points in the central cubby. They are powered from a feed from the 12v outlet at the back of the centre console.

Made a small box to install it in out of plasticard, covered with black velour fablon. I also bought a top tray (from China). I took out the rubber mats that came with it, and replaced this with more velour fablon, which I think looks better than the mats which came with the top tray. Top tray came with a cut out to allow the charging through.

Means I can now charge my phone etc out of sight and not cluttering up the front storage space.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nice job, it's crazy that you should have to do this on a 35 grand car though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good job - nice and neat. ! Does this just charge or have you managed to get CarPlay or Android equivalent working? If not is that just a coding issue?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ashypants said:
Good job - nice and neat. ! Does this just charge or have you managed to get CarPlay or Android equivalent working? If not is that just a coding issue?
No it's just for charging. Never bothered with CarPlay.

I made a false floor (cover) for the front compartment and have my iPod plugged in on a short black USB. Nothing really visible, but avoids looking cluttered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miket said:
Can see how that would work for charging, (albeit potential for spaghetti in the front cubby would do my head in) but if you have multiple drives plugged into the front USB, would you get any conflicts through the infotainment system or is it just a case of selecting the specific device?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bear in mind a single usb port is only capable of providing 500mA to power devices.
Using a passive splitter means this 500mA is shared amongst the extra ports. You would not be able to charge a phone and drive other devices that are powered from usb .
The best way is to use an active splitter that is self powered and provides full power to each extra socket.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Did try a passive usb on my Audi and for some reason it knocked out the tuned radio channels every time you plugged it in the cig socket, but it was a cheap Chinese one? I use this Spitter to charge my phone and power a garment 50 sat nav ( used for speed cameras only)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts