Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent three months considering a Tiguan against all the competitors (I am a BMW fan so it could have been an X3 :cry: ). Best test was hiring a 150 TDi 4 Motion for a few days in Switzerland which was very impressive. Now the decision is which model and what is minimum spend on extras. We will use it for about 10k miles per annum which includes 2 or 3 spells in the Alps (mostly winter) and then for weekly domestic running with trips into the countryside at weekends. I have got as far as deciding on a debadged SEL (Indium grey) with tow bar, roof bars, ski-rack, power tailgate and heated steering wheel and am now torn between petrol (180BHP) and diesel (190BHP). I think the fuel economy difference of c10mpg and continental petrol price premium will lead me to diesel. Also considering outdoor pack but cannot find any comparative photos to see what it looks like.

I shall buy some winter tyres/wheels from the MrWinterTyres website that I have seen recommended on the forum

You guys are bound to have some views to help me crystallise my spec so I can get my order placed this month (we need it by 1 December), so I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Beancounter27 said:
I have spent three months considering a Tiguan against all the competitors (I am a BMW fan so it could have been an X3 :cry: ). Best test was hiring a 150 TDi 4 Motion for a few days in Switzerland which was very impressive. Now the decision is which model and what is minimum spend on extras. We will use it for about 10k miles per annum which includes 2 or 3 spells in the Alps (mostly winter) and then for weekly domestic running with trips into the countryside at weekends. I have got as far as deciding on a debadged SEL (Indium grey) with tow bar, roof bars, ski-rack, power tailgate and heated steering wheel and am now torn between petrol (180BHP) and diesel (190BHP). I think the fuel economy difference of c10mpg and continental petrol price premium will lead me to diesel. Also considering outdoor pack but cannot find any comparative photos to see what it looks like.

I shall buy some winter tyres/wheels from the MrWinterTyres website that I have seen recommended on the forum

You guys are bound to have some views to help me crystallise my spec so I can get my order placed this month (we need it by 1 December), so I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum, I have the r line 150 Tdi and getting about 49 mpg and from what I've been told the 190 is a very similar mpg! But what I would recommend is the led active headlights
Best of luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
The SEL has the same Dynamic LED headlights as the R Line as well as massage seats as standard.

Diesel Vs petrol is tricky, I have the petrol. I tried the diesel and thought the power delivery of the 190ps was not as smooth as the petrol. However I only do about 7k miles per year. I would say if you are going to be doing more than 12 or 15k a year and fuel cost is your only concern then diesel is the way to go. Otherwise the petrol 2.0 has plenty of torque, it's slightly faster and smoother, and possibly slightly less likely to be suddenly victimised by a government tax change.

SEL doesn't need many extras, add electric tailgate, rear view camera. Other bits and bobs are nice to have.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
May be a heated front screen if you are going to be in the alps. Salmonfisher has the out door pack and swears by it, be PM for a few photos. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
NeuroOrbit said:
The SEL has the same Dynamic LED headlights as the R Line as well as massage seats as standard.

Diesel Vs petrol is tricky, I have the petrol. I tried the diesel and thought the power delivery of the 190ps was not as smooth as the petrol. However I only do about 7k miles per year. I would say if you are going to be doing more than 12 or 15k a year and fuel cost is your only concern then diesel is the way to go. Otherwise the petrol 2.0 has plenty of torque, it's slightly faster and smoother, and possibly slightly less likely to be suddenly victimised by a government tax change.

SEL doesn't need many extras, add electric tailgate, rear view camera. Other bits and bobs are nice to have.
I'll second that regarding petrol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Beancounter27
Your annual mileage is similar to mine and I see within your spec you have listed a tow bar.
I went diesel because of towing a caravan. What you want to tow and how often will also affect your decision.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
610 Posts
I changed back to petrol this time as my mileage has gone down from 18,000 to around 10,000. The cost between the two cars ie disel v petrol was £2000 pounds which worked out at about 11,800 miles in the tank doing the sums. My work ride is 12 miles x2 and I'm getting around 30 to 32, then on the motorway getting up 39. Very quite and smooth toboot :D :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
A few pics of my SEL with the 'Outdoor Pack' in Tungsten Silver. Very effective on rutted bumpy tracks, and if your inclined to overhang a high pavement when parking no worries about pranging the lower bumper moulding of the R-Line :?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help - learned so much more from the forum than from my local dealer! I'm getting close to placing an order either with the local dealer with 13% discount or an online broker for an extra 2% discount but possibly less certainty of delivery date.

Now only two other decisions left. Firstly my wife needs to choose between Atlantic blue and Indium grey (grey is my preference as it looks better with the black plastic external trim). More importantly I need to decide between TSi 180 DSG and TDi 190 DSG SEL - my dealer hasn't got a petrol engined example for me to try but keeps telling me how impressed he was by one he delivered recently. At our mileage rate the price saving will pay for 3-4 yrs extra fuel consumption. Also with owning one diesel car I think it may be sensible to also have a petrol car.

So, it's towbar (for bike rack and garden trailer), roof bars (for ski rack), power tailgate, heated screen, heated steering wheel and badge deletion (cars look better without badges in my view). I'll then need some door sill protectors, boot liner, rubber mats and a set of winter wheels to be ready for the Alps in December. I decided against the outdoor pack as I prefer the look of the front end of the standard version.

Any final observations and comments will be be very welcome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) Just to let you know that on 30 June I ordered an Indium grey 2.0 TSi DSG SEL 4-Motion with heated screen, wireless phone charger, heated steering wheel, swivelling tow bar, power tailgate and 230v socket and light in boot. I also deleted all badges. So it is now just the long wait - was quoted 14 weeks but I'm not holding my breath and don't need it until late November or early December.
Thanks again for the invaluable advice.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good one 'Beancounter'....can't wait to see the pics...... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More advice please - big year for my wife as not just a new Tiggie but also a new phone! She has an iPhone 7 so will need a special case to be able to use the wireless charger in her car when it arrives (in which we had to have the charger to get the heated screen.......). Can anyone recommend a good case for this purpose and where to buy it?
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Breezer said:
Beancounter27 said:

Thanks
If you mean http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/vw-winter-wheels/tiguan/tiguan-2016-on/ I suggest you look at
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Complete_wheels.html instead.
I have an annual ski trip to Switzerland every year so need winter tyres too. We're also off to Val Thorens in February.

I have a set of steel wheels and winter tyres for my present car and was going to go for another set for my tiguan, but I'm probably going to get a set of all season tyres on original wheels
instead. First choice would be the Michelin cross climates but they're not available in my size so I'll probably go Vredstein Quatrac 5's. Both are marked M&S so legal where required and with good reviews. I've had Vredsteins before and they were very good in the snow.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have a look at Wheelbase in Oldham for wheels and winter tyres. I got kitted out last week. Excellent service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it's on its way! Ordered in 30 June and ready on 21 September, but due to other commitments it'll be 3 October before we get it. Thanks for all the advice on spec. We settled on an Indium Grey 2.0TSi SEL DSG 4 Motion with heated screen, wireless phone charger, 230v socket in boot, heated steering wheel, swivelling tow bar and electric tailgate.

Now for the bits 'n pieces to protect it from the Labrador and the forthcoming winter in the Alps. I've got your winter tyre/wheel advice (I'll get steel wheels as alloys will be trashed in the Alpine winter). Can you tell me where to source the best value roof bars, rubber mats and boot liner (in my BMW I have a rigid floor mat with separate rubberised flap that folds out over the bumper).

Look forward to more advice :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it's on its way! Ordered in 30 June and ready on 21 September, but due to other commitments it'll be 3 October before we get it. Thanks for all the advice on spec. We settled on an Indium Grey 2.0TSi SEL DSG 4 Motion with heated screen, wireless phone charger, 230v socket in boot, heated steering wheel, swivelling tow bar and electric tailgate (and deleted all badges).

Now for the bits 'n pieces to protect it from the Labrador and the forthcoming winter in the Alps. I've got your winter tyre/wheel advice (I'll get steel wheels as alloys will be trashed in the Alpine winter). Can you tell me where to source the best value roof bars, rubber mats and boot liner (in my BMW I have a rigid floor mat with separate rubberised flap that folds out over the bumper).

Look forward to more advice :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts