Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought a pre-registered Tiguan saving a good few "£", I didn't get the chance to spec it myself. Has anyone else added a rear view camera and if so any recommendations as to who to go to as I was told by the deal the VW done do them. Park assist is very good but the added benefit of the camera (when having to reverse back up country roads for oncoming traffic) would be helpful.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If that's genuine VW rear view camera fitting, does that mean you will then also have the park pilot ?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Park Pilot is the standard system with no camera.
Park Assist comes in conjunction with the camera on factory fit.
Not sure if it would be available with a retrofitted camera.

·
Registered
627 Posts
niggly58 said:
Park Pilot is the standard system with no camera.
Park Assist comes in conjunction with the camera on factory fit.
Not sure if it would be available with a retrofitted camera.
Keep getting these mixed up - some cars with sensors call it park assist and the auto parking (with camera) is called park pilot.

Must admit doesn't matter what its called - I use it quite a bit and thought I would never trust it :D :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's even more confusing when you look at the options list, there appear to be three levels of parking aids.
A basic sensor only, a parking assist system with sensors, and a parking assist system with sensors and camera!
So, I would imagine retro fitting a camera to a car with only basic sensors will not give you park assist (self parking system).
No wonder it's confusing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
PaulC said:
I finally got around to ordering the camera. Order was placed a couple of weeks ago. Paid for installation as life's too short and I didn't fancy trying to do it myself. The fitter arrived with the camera about 9:30 this morning and was finished by 11:30.

So far so good. All seems to be working as expected, already bay parked and parallel parked with it - so much easier!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Near £600 for a camera makes the all round view a bargain at just over £800, option I chose after members on here recommended it. Which was opposite to what the salesman advised.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PaulC said:
PaulC said:
I finally got around to ordering the camera. Order was placed a couple of weeks ago. Paid for installation as life's too short and I didn't fancy trying to do it myself. The fitter arrived with the camera about 9:30 this morning and was finished by 11:30.

So far so good. All seems to be working as expected, already bay parked and parallel parked with it - so much easier!
I am interested in getting the camera added. Does it have the washer jet to clean the lense? If it doesn't do you think it's going to get dirty quickly during the winter?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
dsaunders70 said:
I am interested in getting the camera added. Does it have the washer jet to clean the lense? If it doesn't do you think it's going to get dirty quickly during the winter?

Thanks
This one doesn't have a washer jet.
I left the boot open for a few minutes in the rain yesterday and when I moved off there were a couple of drops on the lens, but they hardly had any effect on the overall picture. It might be worse in winter, especially when the back of the car gets lots of salt spray, I'll have to wait and see, and perhaps remember to give it a wipe every time I go out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PaulC said:
dsaunders70 said:

Thanks
I left the boot open for a few minutes in the rain yesterday and when I moved off there were a couple of drops on the lens, but they hardly had any effect on the overall picture. It might be worse in winter, especially when the back of the car gets lots of salt spray, I'll have to wait and see, and perhaps remember to give it a wipe every time I go out.
Oh ok, thanks for confirming...

Just a couple of questions (if you don't mind....!)

Did you get the version with the moving lines (I think it's called high line..?). If you did are you able to change the views to wide angle and trailer hitch views..?

Would you recommend the install company..?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
PaulC said:
dsaunders70 said:

Thanks
I had one without washer on my Passat and in the winter it could become totally unusable, if you didn't clean it regularly that is. Having the washer jet now on my Tiguan was much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
So for the £600 they don't add the little bit of rubber tubing thats needed to make the washer work ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
182_blue said:
So for the £600 they don't add the little bit of rubber tubing thats needed to make the washer work ?
That's what I was trying to understand..?

The camera unit (on the retrofit websites) does not look like it has the washer outlet, so you cannot connect the tube, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that..? Does the camera get washed everytime you use the rear windscreen washers? Or does it only wash when you are in reverse gear and you wash the rear window? If it's the latter then it must have a solenoid or something to open up the washer feed when it's in reverse..?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
dsaunders70 said:
182_blue said:

The camera unit (on the retrofit websites) does not look like it has the washer outlet, so you cannot connect the tube, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that..? Does the camera get washed everytime you use the rear windscreen washers? Or does it only wash when you are in reverse gear and you wash the rear window? If it's the latter then it must have a solenoid or something to open up the washer feed when it's in reverse..?
I don't really know when it works as i don't have the reverse camera, i imagine VW would go the easy route and just make it work when you was he the rear screen though.

Maybe someone with the OEM camera can confirm when it actually washes the lens ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
182_blue said:
dsaunders70 said:
182_blue said:

I don't really know when it works as i don't have the reverse camera, i imagine VW would go the easy route and just make it work when you was he the rear screen though.

Maybe someone with the OEM camera can confirm when it actually washes the lens ?
If I remember correctly (been a while since I've driven in bad weather) then it works when in reverse gear and when you use the rear washer. I can test it later if no one else chimes in with a definite answer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jeremy_SWE said:
182_blue said:
dsaunders70 said:

If I remember correctly (been a while since I've driven in bad weather) then it works when in reverse gear and when you use the rear washer. I can test it later if no one else chimes in with a definite answer.
That would be a great help of you could...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts