Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Collecting my Tiguan on the 14th of July and it just dawned on me does my car have an alarm fitted ? Emailed the dealer and he said no but could get their electrican to fit one and will come back with pricing.

My question here is what has everyone else done and does it affect your insurance much if you only have an immobiliser ?

Think is a bit crap that after sending about €50k on a new car that it doesnt come with an alarm but thats how it is.

Thanks
ALan

·
Registered
207 Posts
Alan,
My se has alarm fitted as standard. Check with your dealer again, thought all models fitted with alarm.
Roy

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Even the 'S' model has an alarm according to the 2017 UK brochure.
I'm guessing the OP is not from the UK- this may explain why he says there is no alarm fitted.
On the question of insurance- only the insurer could answer whether retro fitting an alarm would make a difference in the premium.
I would imagine the difference in premium probably wouldn't cover the cost of fitting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys, im in Ireland, i would have thought the R-Line would have had an alarm. Car buying in Ireland really is bad compared to the rest or Europe :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
What's the logic behind not standard/factory installing an alarm into a vehicle? That's ridiculous. I suppose mine doesn't come equipped with an alarm either. Is theft minimal in Ireland, and they'd figure saving a few €€€ by removing as many nondescript options as possible..

·
Registered
627 Posts
alphaparticle said:
What's the logic behind not standard/factory installing an alarm into a vehicle? That's ridiculous. I suppose mine doesn't come equipped with an alarm either. Is theft minimal in Ireland, and they'd figure saving a few €€€ by removing as many nondescript options as possible..
Alpha - test it.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/car-security/immobilisers-and-alarm

Basically most alarms also have the interior motion detection - so leave a window or two open, lock the car - put your keys in the house away from the car (in case for any reason it reads you have the keys on you somehow - unlikely I know but...).

Then return the car, and lean through the window quite a way - over towards centre of the car or something - even try the inside handle to unlock the car etc. See if the alarm then goes off.

If it does, run inside grab your keys and unlock / open the car to stop the alarm LOL...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bhuna said:
alphaparticle said:
Alpha - test it.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/car-security/immobilisers-and-alarm

Basically most alarms also have the interior motion detection - so leave a window or two open, lock the car - put your keys in the house away from the car (in case for any reason it reads you have the keys on you somehow - unlikely I know but...).

Then return the car, and lean through the window quite a way - over towards centre of the car or something - even try the inside handle to unlock the car etc. See if the alarm then goes off.

If it does, run inside grab your keys and unlock / open the car to stop the alarm LOL...
Thank you for that Andy. It seems to have the interior motion detection unit above, and the circular red bulb alarm indicators on the door sills too (from memory; hopefully not alarm imitations). I'll definitely try those methods out today. The keys will be primed and ready, just in case!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Left teenage daughter in the car when I went into some shops the other day only to get a phone call 5 minutes later saying "Dad, I'm sat here in the car with the alarm going off and everyone is looking at me. You're the worst most embarrassing father a girl could have...", or words to that effect. I'd, as a course of habit, taken the keys with me a locked it as I walked away. So, I can confirm that the UK MY17 SEL has a working alarm fitted :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Chas said:
Left teenage daughter in the car when I went into some shops the other day only to get a phone call 5 minutes later saying "Dad, I'm sat here in the car with the alarm going off and everyone is looking at me. You're the worst most embarrassing father a girl could have...", or words to that effect. I'd, as a course of habit, taken the keys with me a locked it as I walked away. So, I can confirm that the UK MY17 SEL has a working alarm fitted :D
I've done that before with the Vectra - two teenage boys and our little dog in the car - locked the car, went to the chippy - came back alarm going and they are sat there quietly...I got in the car and just said "I told you to sit still or I'd know"..

·
Registered
390 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That just ticked my funny bone :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the car has a alarm it will also have a button low down on the drivers b post, you press this to disable the alarm if the cars going to be transported with the doors locked or leaving your daughter in the car ( Chas) etc
There was a Portuguese owner recently asking and he could not find this button so some tiggys might not have alarms?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think some of these buttons have been moved to the Media system Car settings on MY18

·
Registered
185 Posts
davidfxs said:
I think some of these buttons have been moved to the Media system Car settings on MY18
You correct... Thats where they going to be in future. Most inconvenient place to activate them...stuck behind menus :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nada. The car doesn't have an alarm fitted of any kind. No buttons along the B-pillar either; tried forcing my way in through yanking at the door handle.. leaving the window open and weaving my hand around, and then opening the door from the inside with the car locked. Truly shocking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mcsirl said:
Hey everyone,

Collecting my Tiguan on the 14th of July and it just dawned on me does my car have an alarm fitted ? Emailed the dealer and he said no but could get their electrican to fit one and will come back with pricing.

My question here is what has everyone else done and does it affect your insurance much if you only have an immobiliser ?

Think is a bit crap that after sending about €50k on a new car that it doesnt come with an alarm but thats how it is.

Thanks
ALan
Let me know if you go through with the retrofitting.. in the exact same boat, would consider if done at a reasonable price point. As for insurance, it's down to the company's discretion.. recently renewed with another insurer, and wasn't asked about that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking at the Irish configurator, the alarm is a €359 option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pottsy said:
Looking at the Irish configurator, the alarm is a €359 option.
When I was configuring prior to purchase, it wouldn't allow the speccing of that option when opting for the 'Easy Open' package within the 'Innovation Pack'. My thoughts were, 'oh.. I guess choosing that isn't an option since it comes with the other package'. The configurator threw correct 'contradictory' option warnings for all others.

At least it was the implication at that time. It had an RRP of €781 (currently €356 for the same thing!!), with the bundling of both. The Irish configurator is a mess, and requires re-working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alphaparticle said:
Mcsirl said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
ALan
Let me know if you go through with the retrofitting.. in the exact same boat, would consider if done at a reasonable price point. As for insurance, it's down to the company's discretion.. recently renewed with another insurer, and wasn't asked about that.
Just waiting on the dealer to come back with a price, promised he would come back to me today but no joy, will chase it up on Monday and let you know

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miket said:
If the car has a alarm it will also have a button low down on the drivers b post, you press this to disable the alarm if the cars going to be transported with the doors locked or leaving your daughter in the car ( Chas) etc
There was a Portuguese owner recently asking and he could not find this button so some tiggys might not have alarms?
Pressing the lock button on the key/remote twice in succession also works, see the door cap LED stop blinking on the 2nd press. The alarm is then disabled.

I haven't noticed a button on the B pillar on the Tiggy (not looked that hard TBH) or our Golf, which we've had for a few years (double remote press works on that too). I do recall there being one for this purpose on our earlier MK4 Golf though.

Maybe the B pillar button is there only if you have the key-less entry option?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Chas said:
Maybe the B pillar button is there only if you have the key-less entry option?
I dont have key-less and i have the button. The button only switches off interior monitoring and not the whole alarm.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts