Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the Allspace is built in Mexico. My dealer advised me of Bw10 date and says as far as the system shows, this date has been complied with.

My question is whether the car is fully assembled in Mexico or does it then have to be shipped to Wolfsburg for finishing off? Obviously with the problems at Wolfsburg I’m hoping it doesn’t have to go there.

Do we also know of timelines I should expect the car? Dealer hasn’t been very forthcoming with info. He reckons 4-6 weeks delivery after the car is finished. I am hoping I get by May at latest.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I understand the Allspace is built in Mexico. My dealer advised me of Bw10 date and says as far as the system shows, this date has been complied with.

My question is whether the car is fully assembled in Mexico or does it then have to be shipped to Wolfsburg for finishing off? Obviously with the problems at Wolfsburg I’m hoping it doesn’t have to go there.

Do we also know of timelines I should expect the car? Dealer hasn’t been very forthcoming with info. He reckons 4-6 weeks delivery after the car is finished. I am hoping I get by May at latest.
I don't whether it is just for distribution purposes or for final work to be done but I read recently that they do get sent out via Wolfsburg.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,249 Posts
Previously (can't say for the facelift) the Allspace was fully assembled in Mexico, could possibly have been round the world a bit :))) but essentially no other 'build' stops were made, certainly not a visit to Wolfsburg. Can't imagine that would be good for VWs carbon foot print if all Mexican Tigs had to come over to Europe to complete their build.
I'd be surprised if that changed for the Facelift, or if components for the completion of the build were only available in Europe.

Reactions: Cruiser175

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Previously (can't say for the facelift) the Allspace was fully assembled in Mexico, could possibly have been round the world a bit :))) but essentially no other 'build' stops were made, certainly not a visit to Wolfsburg. Can't imagine that would be good for VWs carbon foot print if all Mexican Tigs had to come over to Europe to complete their build.
I'd be surprised if that changed for the Facelift, or if components for the completion of the build were only available in Europe.
That’s what I thought. It would be madness and not at all cost effective to be shipping from Mexico to Europe and then into UK. MY relative in USA has ordered a Ford and a Tesla, 2 month lead time. Seems as though America are far less hit compared to Europe.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The problem with VW supply chains seems to stem from the fact that the wiring/cabling harnesses were all made by a Ukranian automotive part supplier.

No wires, no car. Forget about semiconductors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I’ve been advised the car is now at status 30, shipped from Mexico, on its way to Wolfsburg! Any ideas as to when I can see this in the dealership? Dealer reckons 8 weeks. The dealer doesn’t know why they’re sent to Wolfsburg though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, I’ve been advised the car is now at status 30, shipped from Mexico, on its way to Wolfsburg! Any ideas as to when I can see this in the dealership? Dealer reckons 8 weeks. The dealer doesn’t know why they’re sent to Wolfsburg though.
I guess it depends on what is done at Wolfsburg. Does it go there as a finished car for Quality Assurance or distribution purposes or does it go there to get extra assembly work done?

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it depends on what is done at Wolfsburg. Does it go there as a finished car for Quality Assurance or distribution purposes or does it go there to get extra assembly work done?

Cheers,

Nigel
I agree. I find it strange and surprising that the dealer does not know! Hopefully it’s just quality checks but what a waste of cost and unnecessary carbon footprint.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I ordered an Allspace on 11/02/22 and was last week given a build week of 17.
Waaaaay ahead of the 52 weeks I had planned for to coincide with the end of my current lease. Be interesting to find out what the path for delivery actually is and how long it takes.
I'd be extremely grateful if you could keep us updated (y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered an Allspace on 11/02/22 and was last week given a build week of 17.
Waaaaay ahead of the 52 weeks I had planned for to coincide with the end of my current lease. Be interesting to find out what the path for delivery actually is and how long it takes.
I'd be extremely grateful if you could keep us updated (y)
Mine is status 30 meaning it’s now shipped as of last week. Original order was mid Sept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all - i have read this forum over recent months. I have now received my Allspace, so thought it may be worth sharing my experience.
I ordered on 30/11/21 (a day before the first of two price increases). Life 1.5 Manual Petrol, with upgraded alloys, black paint and reversing camera. I didn't ask many questions of the dealer as i figured it wouldn't make any difference. I received a call at the beginning of April saying it had shipped from Mexico on the way to Wolfsburg. I assumed that it is simply a supply chain issue - one massive container ship sends a full load, with smaller shipments the from the Wolfsburg 'hub' to the rest of europe?

I was also told from leaving mexico it could take 8-10 weeks to reach the UK dealer. It ended up being quicker (around 6), but it's possible the ship had been at sea for a couple of weeks before i received the call.

I picked up the car on the 6th May, so overall it was 6 months and 1 week from the date of order. From reading this forum it seems the Allspace is quicker than the regualr Tiguan. Perhaps the demand is lower, and the Mexico factory has more available capacity.

If there is a benefit to the long delays (and mine was short by comparison to many on here) is that the price i paid represents a fantastic deal given that there have been two price increases since i placed my order. Together with a great discount and a further discount contribution from the dealer, and i ended up saving around £7k off the current list price for the same car, or 18%. In fact, my exact car is available second hand with a few thousand miles for considerably more than what I have paid.

So for others who are frustrated, hang in there! Don't cancel your orders! You'll have a great deal in the end...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all - i have read this forum over recent months. I have now received my Allspace, so thought it may be worth sharing my experience.
I ordered on 30/11/21 (a day before the first of two price increases). Life 1.5 Manual Petrol, with upgraded alloys, black paint and reversing camera. I didn't ask many questions of the dealer as i figured it wouldn't make any difference. I received a call at the beginning of April saying it had shipped from Mexico on the way to Wolfsburg. I assumed that it is simply a supply chain issue - one massive container ship sends a full load, with smaller shipments the from the Wolfsburg 'hub' to the rest of europe?

I was also told from leaving mexico it could take 8-10 weeks to reach the UK dealer. It ended up being quicker (around 6), but it's possible the ship had been at sea for a couple of weeks before i received the call.

I picked up the car on the 6th May, so overall it was 6 months and 1 week from the date of order. From reading this forum it seems the Allspace is quicker than the regualr Tiguan. Perhaps the demand is lower, and the Mexico factory has more available capacity.

If there is a benefit to the long delays (and mine was short by comparison to many on here) is that the price i paid represents a fantastic deal given that there have been two price increases since i placed my order. Together with a great discount and a further discount contribution from the dealer, and i ended up saving around £7k off the current list price for the same car, or 18%. In fact, my exact car is available second hand with a few thousand miles for considerably more than what I have paid.

So for others who are frustrated, hang in there! Don't cancel your orders! You'll have a great deal in the end...
That’s good to hear and thank u for sharing. I’ve also had a similar discount inclusive of a dealer discount and a deposit contribution which was not conditional upon taking our dealer finance. However, dealer now trying to renege on it despite me having an invoice for a balance to pay. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is as they’ve now referred it to a higher manager for review.

Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
2022 VW Tiguan Allspace Elegance, 2.0 TDI (150), 4Motion, DSG,
30 Posts
Congratulations with your new car @pjw

I just checked the current list price of an equivalent car I more or less impulse bought Christmas Eve, and picked up New years eve (Stock car) ...and as far I can see it's gone up about 15-20% in price...to what I paid.

I have driven over 4000 miles since in it...and could possibly sell it for same or maybe more than I paid...what strange times. It used to be dropping 20% of the value as soon as it left the forecourt...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself from other threads....
I started enquiring about an Allspace in Feb this year knowing about the delays in delivery, to coincide with the end of my current lease (March 2023)
Drive the deal confirmed a 52+ week expected timescale so I placed an order 11/02/22 - Allspace R-Line 245 TSi, in white, easy open, IQ lights and rear camera.
I upped my deposit based on what I would expect to have into early next year and got a shade under 18% discount on list, taking PCP.
21/04 I got an email direct from VW saying I had an allocated build week, but not what it was. Checked out with the dealer "build week 17, which is 25th April to 1st May"
26/04 (one day after the 'build week' started) I got an email, again from VW direct, saying:
Great news, your new Volkswagen Tiguan has completed its final checks and has now left our factory. It won't be long now until it's at your retailer.
All of which sounds great on the face of it except that my planning is now kaput.
I can't get out of the lease without penalty (50% of the remaining finance payments - currently 9 months to go)
But if I cancel and order again, the price has gone up, the finance contribution is less, I can't get the IQ lights and the other extras have gone up too
Rock and a hard place!!

I've asked the dealer to see if VW can hold delivery to the dealer until September, by which time the lease 'get out' fee will be more negotiable (say VWFS) as there'll only be 6 months less.
I'll wait to see if this request is do-able, as if it turns up early i've got a lot of thinking to do.

• Sad
Reactions: dannymidd1

·
Registered
740 Posts
Could you accept delivery, park up off road safely (in a garage?), SORN the vehicle and cancel insurance to get some refunds and wait it out knowing you will have got a good deal which you won't get with a new order?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
:unsure:
Can't see how that would save me much, i'd still be paying out for 2 cars.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've asked the dealer to see if VW can hold delivery to the dealer until September, by which time the lease 'get out' fee will be more negotiable (say VWFS) as there'll only be 6 months less.
I'll wait to see if this request is do-able, as if it turns up early i've got a lot of thinking to do.
I can imagine there would be no way the dealer could hold that car until september, worth asking but would be crazy to me.

You have 100% asked and explained the situation to the lease company right.? some allow you to cancel early without penalty! in the current situation i'd imagine you car more valuable to them now rather than later down the line! I feel for you man, i'd hate to be in that situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts