Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm a bit peaved to be honest, I ordered my Tiguan R line last September and finally got it early May ( last month)
How are other users liking them I hate mine it seems since the last time I had a VW the quality and attention to detail has dropped.
Mine is the R line Bmt 4 motion Dsg .
Firstly the DSG box is incredibly ponderous it seems confused..about 40 mph you floor it and it's like you have asked it to change the world never mind gears it just doesn't know what to do then it drops to the lowest gear and holds onto it until the engine is screaming and it changes..
Then the engine it seems really noisy and the torque of the older unit just isn't there mines 150 Bhp.
The trim from the eye down is really plastic and feels cheap, and I can't get the NAV to take postcodes for some reason can this be done.
It looks good but I'm not happy with it any thoughts from others?
Oh and to gone into limp home twice 馃槫
Anyway hello everyone
John

Registered
Select search in nav and it will accept postcodes. No prob with mine.

Registered
Welcome to the forum.
It must be very disappointing after the long wait to receive a car with obvious faults. These can all be sorted under warranty. The build quality issues are a different proposition. We must accept in these days of cost cutting some compromises in design and materials. My leather seats for example are fabric or imitation leather in non seating areas. Platic lower trims are harder less attrative plastics.
At the end of the day, the VW beats my old C4 Picasso for design and build quality.
Hope your dealer manages to sort your car soon.

Registered
Hi Tannerman and welcome, what I think is a lot of people forget that it's a 4x4 you have bought so there will always be cheap lower plastics for easy clean and an area that becomes damaged so cheaper to replace? Have you tried to knock it into Sport mode when you go to floor it, if it's still not kicking down then may be try a demo car to see the difference. As for going into limp mode it really needs to go back to see why? Good luck, hope it gets sorted :D

Registered
I suggest you take your car back to the suppliers, I assume Doncaster VW? And if so from what I've seen from afar they seem very keen and helpful
Ask them about your dsg gear problem, it may be something simple like a diagnostic reset but whatever it is it would be free under the warranty, I have a TDI 150 dsg and don't get that problem
If you don't get satisfaction from your VW garage then ring VW direct

Registered
Hello

The engine does need to be thoroughly warm to be at its best. The engine can be noisy when accelerating away from traffic lights if you rush it. You get more noise than action. It's a car that suits being driven in a relaxed manner and that's how I like it. The engine is smoother and quieter at higher speeds and I think it goes well in the 50-70 mph range It's a case of learning what the car likes and driving accordingly. You can use sport mode or drive with the paddles if you wish. Compared to the previous 2013 car it doesn't get caught in the wrong gear at roundabouts like the last one used to and Out of town driving it will take 6th or 7th On the previous one I had to use manual mode to keep it in 5th to not labour the engine. So I'm happy because it's better than the last one.
Quality wise cheapening plastics is par for the course but compared to other rivals the higher up plastics are good but I know what you mean I would prefer better quality plastics lower down.
The ease of driving with the latest technology is the big selling point for me and I feel safe in bad weather.

Registered
Tig16 said:
Hello

The engine does need to be thoroughly warm to be at its best. The engine can be noisy when accelerating away from traffic lights if you rush it. You get more noise than action. It's a car that suits being driven in a relaxed manner and that's how I like it. The engine is smoother and quieter at higher speeds and I think it goes well in the 50-70 mph range It's a case of learning what the car likes and driving accordingly. You can use sport mode or drive with the paddles if you wish. Compared to the previous 2013 car it doesn't get caught in the wrong gear at roundabouts like the last one used to and Out of town driving it will take 6th or 7th On the previous one I had to use manual mode to keep it in 5th to not labour the engine. So I'm happy because it's better than the last one.
Quality wise cheapening plastics is par for the course but compared to other rivals the higher up plastics are good but I know what you mean I would prefer better quality plastics lower down.
The ease of driving with the latest technology is the big selling point for me and I feel safe in bad weather.
That's true if you think the revs are high you can always flip the paddle to change gear!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all many thanks for all of your advise, I have owned VW before and my dad has a Passat cc 170 Dsg GT his car is a lot smoother than mine the DSG box changes and knows what to do.
His car is a 2010 so it isn't a BMT or 7 speeder.
Do you think the 7 speed is too much for the 150 Bhp engine.
I previously had a XF jaguar so I apreciate the Tig is a different car but the box doesn't feel right, the Jag learned your driving style and adapted to that but the Tig seems confused.
I've tried it in all its settings but none really seem different.
Maybe it's me 馃槱
Cheers John

bTW I'm getting 35.6 mpg 3.0 twin turbo diesel XF 33馃槼

Registered
Welcome to the forum,

If you floor the accelerator the car will drop gears to go faster. When the accelerator is then realeased a little the car changes up gears I find. I found the 150ps is not very quick from standstill but it goes well once it gets going.

Older VW engines seem to have more torque when driven but I guess the newer engines are more refinded.

I agree the Trim feels and looks cheap but when you compare it to an Audi or similar brand it's a great spec car for the money. But yes the trim could be nicer.

Have you tried the car in sport as I found the car very responsive in sport? You can select sport by pulling back the gear selector when in drive.

Registered
Hi Tannerman....I found my 'Tig' a lot more responsive after a good few months after the initial run in, and even more so now with it loosening up. You haven't mentioned or have it in your signature if it is TDi or TSi, but yes the TDi is initially a bit noisy on start up, especially in the colder months, but soon quietens down.

Registered
I probably would not "floor it" until I had about 1500 miles on the clock. My dealer said they do not need running in but the hand book clearly states it does. As others have said it will improve over time, however, there are quite a few reviews that did mention the diesel engine does not marry too well with the DSG box... like no power, then everything, then back to nothing again... maybe that's the pay off for the better fuel economy..

Registered
I never driven the 150 TDI, but I had my friend when test driving the 190TDI. He has a 2013 Audi A4 with 140hp, and he said tiguan is faster than his Audi when he drove it in Sports mode.

Considering the air drag of SUV and the weight, I would not have chosen 150TDI if I were the "hammering type" of driver. To me that engine is for very casual kind of drive and had the feeling the 190 TDI could be driven more aggressively if necessary.

Registered
Tannerman said:
Firstly the DSG box is incredibly ponderous it seems confused..about 40 mph you floor it and it's like you have asked it to change the world never mind gears it just doesn't know what to do then it drops to the lowest gear and holds onto it until the engine is screaming and it changes..
DSG guesses the next gear you're going to need and will change to it almost instantly. I read somewhere that if it guesses wrong (becuase you do something it wasn't expecting, like floor the throttle) then it can take up 0.8 seconds to find the right gear. That doesn't seem long, but in practice feels like an age.

If your car is going into limp mode then something must be wrong. Although ours is mk1 Tiguan, it's got the same EA288 150PS engine as yours, as well as 4Motion and DSG, and it drives just fine, even in comparison with the well regarded 5 speed auto Mercedes that is my own car.

Registered
Hi Tannerman
Sorry your not feeling the joy of a new car like most people have on this forum.
I have the 150dsg and have no issues with its performance at all. You will also see from voting on one of the other topics 83% of owners have DSG.
The 150 is not the quickest car in the world at 9.3 seconds and the 190 is marginally faster at 7.9 seconds 0-62.
If there had been an across the board issue with the performance of the 150 and or DSG then I think we would heard more.
It seems your vehicle should be returned for closer inspection by your dealer.
Cheers
Roy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all Of the advise guys, I'm taking my son to East Midlands airport tomorrow and will give it a good run and see how I get on.
I'm going to book it in to VW and ask them to have a look at it regards the limp home issue, it does reset if you turn it off lock the car then restart so it might be hard to diagnose.
I'm also going to ask them to check the gearbox software as its not right I joined the A1 yesterday and put my foot down on the slip road and it bogged down it then dropped to 2nd gear and held it in that gear (screaming) then jerked into 3rd.
Like I said my dad has a VW cc with DSG (6) speed and it's seamless..
Will keep you posted
Thanks again
John 馃憤

Registered
Just a thought John, I had the same engine screaming thing a couple of times.

Turns out I'd touched one of the paddles slightly by accident each time, and it had switched it into manual mode until it decided an idiot was driving and re-engaged auto. :lol:

Registered
Breezer said:
Just a thought John, I had the same engine screaming thing a couple of times.

Turns out I'd touched one of the paddles slightly by accident each time, and it had switched it into manual mode until it decided an idiot was driving and re-engaged auto. :lol:
And to add to this your not accidentally moving the shifter to the left, into manual mode? Are you :?

Registered
...... Or was it in Sport Mode?

Registered
Just had a thought an auto will go into limp mode if you by accident press both pedals I have done this once when I hit a hump at speed and my foot hit both pedals with pressure at the same time, straight away car went into limp mode just a thought :?:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here we are, last Friday took the Tig out within half a mile the EPC light came on and it went limp I stopped locked it then started it and all fine, then it did it again...all in all 4 times in as many miles.
The EML also came on so I took it to Hayseldens our local VW dealer.
Their advise was they couldn't look at it till the Monday and if I broke down just ring the recovery number??
Not very helpful also no courtesy car, apparently they are booked in advance?
Took the car home still in limp closed it up and went to it later on, the car had come out of limp and all lights were normal, the car felt notably smoother and the gearbox sharper (normal mode) all fine until today a car pulled out and I had to brake hard the hazards came on and the EPC, limp again happened twice now.
Will look at getting it in but at least we are a little further forward..." I think" 馃槼

1 - 20 of 27 Posts