Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just joined this forum for some advice please.

In the market for new car, not used. Never owned a VW, but considering Tiguan PHEV, probably the 1.4 TSI eHybrid Elegance.

Just wondering if anyone actually has ones of these, and if so any comments, in particular the real world fuel efficiency ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't think any have arrived in the country yet, aside from press cars.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yep, only very recently been listed on the VW site so unless someone picked up a dealer car, it could be some time before we hear

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was wondering if that was the case, thanks very much for the info, highly appreciated !

Got a test drive booked for next week, so might get a clue to how is does then

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Was reading an article in a car mag talking about the chip shortage, apparently the hybrid have 30 percent more sensors, just more to go wrong IMO.

Mercedes dealer was telling me yesterday that cars were being delivered with only one key fob and some functions not working, with the chips being added later...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Was talking to my dealer about this last week when he was looking for a car available from Dec/Jan.

In short - don't bother. Massive increase in price, very low mileage and on longer journeys you'll be using an engine nowhere near as good as the 1.5.

I'll be waiting until it's all electric or the range is bigger!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Andy1979 said:
I might have been tempted, but the boot is significantly smaller on the PHEV. If I wanted a Golf-sized boot I'd buy a Golf-sized car.
And you can't add a spare wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having just completed a weekend away with my ehybrid I finally have some idea of how it does on fuel economy.

I primarily changed to the ehybrid as my daily commute is about 10 - 15km each way with free charging available at work which means with a consistent 50km available on a full charge I can charge at work and not charge again until I return the next day and still have some range left for another trip in the evening.
For the daily commute on my last tiguan 1.5 tsi I was sometimes averaging 10L/100km as it was a lot of traffic with stop start so with the ehybrid even when I pay for charging at home the cost of the daily commute is greatly reduced.

Last weekend we did a trip to the coast about 160 km each way. On this journey it appeared to average out roughly the same as my last no PHEV tiguan at 6L/100km and 3.4kWh/100km so I was pretty happy with that.
In general apart from the issues I had with the lane assist camera and gear selector which the dealer took care of and ensured I had a decent replacement vehicle (ID3 and ID4) this my 3rd tiguan and the best I have driven and have no regrets - turbo lag is no longer an issue.
My plan is to use this car to try to take advantage of both sides (driving electric and having the petrol engine for longer journeys) while I hopefully get more confidence in EV infrastructure and maybe change to a full EV in the future.

Martin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Essjay said:
Saw this and couldn't resist…..😂
Couldn't resist too... :D My ID.3 charging in the background...

As for the topic. Buying PHEV doesn't make much sense at least to me. More expensive than petrol/diesel, more things to go wrong, not much saving on the fuel etc. Either drive ICE car or go BEV

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it's of any use we have just returned a Hyundai Ioniq PHEV. For us perfect. Mostly used locally and always kept charged so hardly put in fuel. It worked a treat Changed because we needed a higher car and a real car.
Ran down faster on motorway. Also now the Gov. Grant has gone it's not worth us getting another. I did order a Kia Nero e but then cancelled when the grant was removed. My daughter has the Kia .It has a 300 mile range and is superb. Hard suspension. My other daughter has a D3 . No comparison.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Treadstone said:
Also now the Gov. Grant has gone it's not worth us getting another. I did order a Kia Nero e but then cancelled when the grant was removed.
Allow me to disagree.
Govt grant is still there. But what's happened is it was reduced from £3000 to £2500 and only for cars below £35k. However that price does not include extras and packages so all EV manufactures changed the pricing model. Have a look below for details and car that are eligible:

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi all. Used to frequent here couple of years ago when buying my first tiguan. I have R-line 1.5tsi allspace. Excellent looking car and comes with good gadgets but one of the biggest issue is pick up from stand still. Sometimes on junctions, I press the accelerator and its good few seconds before the car moves
Feels very dangerous on roundabout. Thinking of changing to ehybrid. I understand coming from allspace, I will lose 2 seats/big boot but convinced wife that we can live with that.

How is the ehybrid to drive. The pick up from standstill sorted? I don't have any local dealers with demo hybrid car. Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all. Used to frequent here couple of years ago when buying my first tiguan. I have R-line 1.5tsi allspace. Excellent looking car and comes with good gadgets but one of the biggest issue is pick up from stand still. Sometimes on junctions, I press the accelerator and its good few seconds before the car moves
Feels very dangerous on roundabout. Thinking of changing to ehybrid. I understand coming from allspace, I will lose 2 seats/big boot but convinced wife that we can live with that.

How is the ehybrid to drive. The pick up from standstill sorted? I don't have any local dealers with demo hybrid car. Appreciate any feedback.
Hi I’ve just ordered one had a test drive on Saturday
The drive was great no problems instant pickup. As I’ve got Tiguan allspace I know what you are on about. The best thing for me was stop start as it’s in electric mode no engine to start 😏

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi I’ve just ordered one had a test drive on Saturday
The drive was great no problems instant pickup. As I’ve got Tiguan allspace I know what you are on about. The best thing for me was stop start as it’s in electric mode no engine to start 😏
Thanks mate. Ordered one today. Elegance ehybrid with leather seats and area view. Let's see when it turns up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was talking to my dealer about this last week when he was looking for a car available from Dec/Jan.

In short - don't bother. Massive increase in price, very low mileage and on longer journeys you'll be using an engine nowhere near as good as the 1.5.

I'll be waiting until it's all electric or the range is bigger!
When the 1.5 engine came out it got slammed how things changed

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anecdotal, only based on one car, so I’m not generalising, just make of it what you want.

A relative had a Toyota Rav 4 PHEV. She is a teacher and lives near Sheffield so all her commuting, local shopping, big city shopping fell comfortably within the battery range so it was very rare that she did longer journeys that required the petrol engine. On two of the rare longer journeys the car broke down and the AA had to be called out.

On both occasions the AA and the Toyota dealer said that the problem arose because the ICE elements of the car had effectively sat idle for months and recommended that she should occasionally drive in ICE mode to keep those parts exercised.

Also this means that for most of the time she was lugging the weight of a petrol engine and gearbox around for no reason.

Just an observation.

She eventually got fed up with it and switched to full EV.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts