Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title really, just wondering if anyone (petrol or diesel) has had to top up their engine oil yet.
I picked up a bottle of oil from my dealer the other day to keep in the car to use as necessary, although I haven't needed it yet.
It would be interesting to get some 'real world' figures re: oil usage. So if you have had to 'top-up', then maybe you could let us know:

a). How many miles had you done (roughly) when you topped up?
b). How much oil did you need?
c). Do you drive petrol or diesel?

Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
Steve,

I have not had to top up the oil yet, I have driven approx 10000km with most of the journeys being on the autobahn cruising along at average of 160kmh. Mine is a petrol and I check the oil every couple of weeks normally when filling up and on checking the other day the oil level is still well within the working range. I to carry spare 1 litre oil bottle in the boot just in case the oil light does come on during a journey. My understanding is that if the oil level drops just below the minimum line it will need approx 1 litre of oil to bring it back up to the optimum level.

Det

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Guys
Sorry have only covered 4.5k so no need to top up.
But you have answered a question. On collection of my car I found, a litre of oil in a nylon zip up case, in the boot. Did worry me, thought that VW were suggesting I would need it. Seems it might have been dealership, but then again your both petrol - I am diesel.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not as yet...have had the Tig since mid October and done 2200 miles. Hopefully having spent time running her in like I did with previous VW & Audi, never really needed to add oil and if so no more than 1 litre between longlife service (2 yrs). I also carry a spare litre bottle in the boot. I think the main issue on my diesel and will be taking note...how much topping up of the 'Adblue'. Last thing I want to happen is be away on hols in Belgium, Netherlands & Germany looking for some.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Roy said:
Hi Guys
Sorry have only covered 4.5k so no need to top up.
But you have answered a question. On collection of my car I found, a litre of oil in a nylon zip up case, in the boot. Did worry me, thought that VW were suggesting I would need it. Seems it might have been dealership, but then again your both petrol - I am diesel.
Cheers
Roy
Hi Roy...I think it is the norm.....as in all my new VW's & one Audi have always had a complimentary 1 Ltr oil in a nylon zip up case (castrol) in the boot

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not as yet...have had the Tig since mid October and done 2200 miles. Hopefully having spent time running her in like I did with previous VW & Audi, never really needed to add oil and if so no more than 1 litre between longlife service (2 yrs). I also carry a spare litre bottle in the boot. I think the main issue on my diesel and will be taking note...how much topping up of the 'Adblue'. Last thing I want to happen is be away on hols in Belgium, Netherlands & Germany looking for some....
Stumpy,

I believe Ad Blue is available at all filling stations in Germany as the price is listed on the pump price displays at all garages. If you have CarNet that could prove quite useful for your Hols as this can give you the location of petrol stations listing current fuel prices including Ad Blue.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the info 'DeT', that is reassuring.... ;) :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi - done 6.5K without a top-up on the oil.

Anyone know the ad-blue situation in France?

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
1 Posts
10,000 miles and I've use about 1 litre of oil over the period (1 year from new) on my 1.4 TSI. Although I think the level was only around 1/4 mark on the dipstick at new. Certainly wasn't up to the full mark or anywhere near. Is that normal. All my previous diesel engines never used oil at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Off to France today. I have seen Ad blue in service stations and certainly in aires de repos on main roads and autoroutes. I've not looked for pumps delivering Ad blue but it's easy enough to top up from the container which is fitted with a non-return hose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just topped a litre on 2918 tri 190 r line dsg. Message popped up to advise check oil which was on the bottom bulb of dipstick topped 1 litre slowly and this came up to the top bulb. I have covered 10300 miles

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've only done 1700 miles since March and oil still ok ( 2-3 mm below top bulb) only long journeys and Driven moderately :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Been running tiguans sunce 2014, never had to put anything in, that's 12000 a year and service every 10000 mile

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,016 Posts
Back in March 1 yr old, 6,400 miles needed best part of a litre after the dashboard warning came up to "Please check oil level."

·
Registered
600 Posts
I did a slight top up the day I collected the car and never since. I have done around 11,000 miles including 1st year service.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine all of a sudden dropped at around 17k . Took a litre. Shortly after had a service been ok. My CC with the 2.0 diesel never used any oil between services , nor the S-Max and Mondeo 2.2 TDI

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,565 Posts
Filled mine up a couple of times. I'm on variable servicing so 19k between services and I now have 62k on the clock.
Seems a bit pointless giving answers here if people don't say how many miles they have covered.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts