Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are people getting on with Apple Car Play? Initially I thought it was great until I tried to make a phone call and found the Bluetooth no longer worked. Having found out you could only make calls through the app I tried this but the reception quality of my call was abysmal and the person I was calling (my wife) could hardly hear me plus lots of background noise. Soon as I exited Apple Car Play the call quality was excellent. Have now left it switched off in case I get calls. is it apple car Play or me?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have not dialled out via Car Play so far but the incoming calls have been fine. Car Play loses the ability to have a Phone menu via the dashboard display and you are very heavily tied to using Siri voice commands and hence need good enough data speed to communicate with siri servers !

The one thing I have been not having much success with is Car-Net (no big loss TBH) it seems to be very hit and miss to connect to WLAN and hence the personal hotspot of my iPhone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DerChef: Spot on your experience with CarNet is as mine. It was all set up when I collected the car from the dealer but has now forgotten all my details. So each time i try to use it it states no connection being available. iPhone is set for hotspot but it cannot see it. I have given up on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agreed, i dont think it works without the cable - and then you can choose if you go into Carplay mode or USB Mode.

Personally i found that it really isnt that impressive, the music playback is just as good with the native VW interface, and actually prefer the telephone, but comes down to individual preferences i guess

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I've tried CarPlay using my iphone, and I can see it's going to be useful in some ways. I particularly liked the use of Siri with the phone menu, and incidentally had no problems with the call sound at either end.
I do use Spotify sometimes, as well as Tunein radio, so they could be useful, however I have all of my music on an SD card, so I tend to use that instead of the 'music' option on Carplay. One reason is that using an SD card gives me the option of displaying the album art, which I don't see on Carplay. I think this is an oversight which needs correcting.
I registered for CarNet, but I really can't see much benefit (unless you have the Discover Pro possibly), so I can't see me using this much.

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have set up both Apple Carplay and VW Car-net and they work well, but my iPhone is no longer able to connect via bluetooth! Both the car and the phone are bluetooth enabled, my phone is 'discoverable' but the search function simply continues indefinitely even though the phone is not connected to the USB port. I am only likely to use Carplay on longer journeys, otherwise, I can't be bothered to connect the USB cable each time I use the car. Does anyone out there have a solution to this?

Tiguan 2.0 TDI, SEL, DSG in Caribbean Blue with Storm Grey leather and a few toys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts