Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Non Tiguan specific topic but some thoughts/musings on the matter of 2030 and may impact thoughts on next purchase.
Harry Metcalf talks about the impact on classic cars and whether the ban targets are achievable

Shmee150 and his Porsche Taycan do their first long trip from London to Birmingham, a little test of the infrastructure - note where Tim (Shmee150) lives in London he not able overnight charge his car.

ID 3 is here and soon the ID 4 (is this the Electric Tiguan ?) will be..
Is there an charging infrastructure to support them?

And then there's internal combustion engine apparent lifeline .. Synthetic Fuels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Massively underwhelmed by the options out there for electric at the moment - I'm looking at you VW ID vehicles - are you serious with that interior?

Can't see switching next time around but the time after that possibly, yes, if I'm still alive.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have a long way to go not only getting a charging network set up but the power industry infrastructure behind it to cope with the additional demand.

Cold winters currently see the grid reaching peak capacity as it is.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
This Government (and previous ones) have all spoken up with good intentions of saving the environment by banning internal combustion vehicles with absolutely no thought into the costs and logistics involved. Charging points is only the tip of the iceberg, the whole public transport network is outdated and in need of massive investment to take advantage of the technology needed.
They seem to think that they will have everything in place with a wave of their 'magic wand' overnight..........and we all know this 'ain't gonna happen!!

How many people are there who rely on their vehicles and would love to go full electric, but have no off-road parking, hence no way to charge an electric vehicle. Surely the way to go in the mean time is to produce not only 'full electric' and plug-in hybrid vehicles, but also more 'mild hybrids' that don't need to be plugged in.
There are a few manufacturers producing 'mild hybrids' such as Honda and Toyota, but others such as VW seem to have no intention of going 'mild' and no doubt that will lose them a lot of customers (myself included).

I personally think we'll be seeing some form of internal combustion propelled vehicles way past the proposed 2030 date, and with the speed at which alternative fuels are being developed, they may even be more environmentally friendly than producing the copious amounts of electricity for charging electric vehicles.....................here's hoping for a miracle in the next 10 years, although with my advancing years, if I'm still driving in 10 years time it may well be an electric vehicle......of the mobility type😏

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
I worked as an operator at a large oil fired power station. The output from the station was 2760MW (4x690MW), to replace that output it would need 460 wind turbines. The power station has been demolished along with a further 16, leaving only 4 coal fired stations remaining. The remaining 4 will be demolished by 2025. What has been built to replace this large amount of generation? What happens on a windless day with overcast skies? What happens if following Brexit, industry builds up and there is a lack of energy?
The process of building new power plant of any type takes years, especially when the NIMBY factor is thrown into the mix. Imagine how long it will take to build a nuclear power station, it will be years!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hartside said:
We have a long way to go not only getting a charging network set up but the power industry infrastructure behind it to cope with the additional demand.

Cold winters currently see the grid reaching peak capacity as it is.
hmm that's a point.. with Brexit 2021 will we still be able to tap France, Netherlands and Ireland for some cheap electricity via the interconnects?
Suspect it will be needed to support the initiative.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Excellent in principle, but we have a council that no longer can afford to clean or maintain footpaths, fix roads and various other basic functions. I wonder where the money would come from to install something like this and again they will need power delivered to them. We're looking at huge infrastructure investment at a time where money is hard to come by. We also have a government making promises on the environment that know it will not be up to them to fulfil them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Folks, I was advised by an NIE engineer that the grid isn't up to the strain of charging multiple EVs - think every street 30 houses charging their own car at 7.5Kw/h for 8-10 hours a night - I can see streets melting. Maybe Old Salt can tell us differently?
I do know that the gov is looking at nuclear power stations but how can they claim that it's 'clean'?

·
Super Moderator
3,018 Posts
My only question to them is why did they leave home with only 45 miles charge on a 190 mile trip when the car fully charged can do 230 miles, sounds more like they needed to be more prepared for the journey and charged the car at home, yes the charging stations situation did not help but does seem a little silly in my eyes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In all probability and in response to the OP's question, the answer is going to be, no, we're no where near ready. As for the couple in the article, i do feel sorry for them, but can't help thinking they ought to have planned their charging regime a bit better, assuming they stayed overnight in Bournemouth, why did they not charge up overnight there? Of course we're only getting the journalist's summary of what happened, they may have chosen to leave out some of the details in order to make their article more interesting, but hey, it happens, so sometimes we shouldn't believe everything we read/see. I'm sure i read somewhere that there are some petrol stations changing over to fast/rapid charge stations, so that might help those in need, after all, what are all these petrol stations going to do once we all run an EV? It'll take some time, and in that time I'm sure the boffins will think of even better solutions. It also confounds logic why there are so many different charging stations and plugs as well - this ain't helpful, so we need to take a step back and think nationally/internationally on EVs and methods of charging them. Now i do like the sound of the aluminium-air battery, cheap, recyclable, lasts longer on a single charge - why has this not been adopted? Probably another topic for discussion... :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Synthetic Fuel .. what's happening ?

·
Super Moderator
3,018 Posts
Whatever we move to it needs to be cheap, easy and not harm the environment.

Still surprised we have not seen anyone go big into solar powered cars, with technology moving on surely there must be a viable way to re-charge your cars batteries having the roof of the car as one large solar panel.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts