Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems a lot of people don't like this feature. I actually do like it and can see some pretty good fuel savings through the technology. What I don't like is that every time the car restarts, power is cut to the 12V socket momentarily. This makes my radar detector restart and go through its series of startup beeps. Anyone know any way to prevent this? (short of being told not to use a radar detector :lol: )

·
Registered
135 Posts
G

·
The MK1 Tig was the same whereby my old Octavia VRs was permanently on.

Annoying if you're running something like yourself or charging in the boot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interesting. A dash cam could be plugged into the 12v socket for parking mode to be used instead of using a hard wiring kit. Any tried moving the fuse?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I'd also be interested to find out if anyone's tried this yet as I'm currently running my dashcam from the 12v socket in the boot. Would be nice as Ed1 says to take advantage of the parking mode without the hardwiring kit.

The only problem I can see with just making them permanently live is that the hardwiring kits usually include a "discharge protection" circuit which prevents your battery from being flattened by anything plugged in.
Not sure if you could overcome this. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigal said:
Wouldn't waste my money on a radar detector because by the time they start beeping the cameras already got you ,in my experience .
1. I already own one and have done for a long time

2. Yes, cameras here are late to detect with their newer low power, low K frequency but cops in cars with high power Ka band detectors can be picked up from miles away. I once had mine go off and it was 12km before I came across the stationary cop car sitting on an onramp on the other side of the motorway.
Here, cameras only give you fines but cops will net you a fine and demerit points

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting.
Where are you based steve? For my future reference!
I seem to recall my Spanish friends saying something similar?

I too am a big fan of detectors. A real aid!

Here in uk, any speeding offence has the potential to get you fined and points, camera or car based enforcement.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fitted a dashcam today. Moved Fuse F40 to give 12V permanently to the 12V sockets. It's a 20A yellow fuse behind the glove box if anyone wants to do the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for this, I've moved the fuse too just so we can keep any mobiles/tablets being charged up when were out and about for short periods of time, (Hidden of course). My previous Skoda Yeti had continuous power too to these sockets. Just hope i don't forget to leave something charging in case it would drain the battery. Wonder if a mobile or tablet would do this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.