Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Picked up my new Tiguan R-Line last week.. what a car :D

I was offered the AutoGlym Lifeshine product for £399 at time of purchasing but chose against it. The dealer has now offered to knock £100 off and sell me it for £299.

I have 2 young kids so like the idea of the interior protection, but was wondering if anyone else had experience (good or bad) with it and whether I go for it.

Also interesting to see what prices people have been quoted/paid for it.

Rich

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The only reason I wanted it was for the inside really so went for it. I said at the initial start to the dealer that the price they were quoting was way over, and after pointing out the extra's... leather, power tail lift, Tow ball, rubber mats, service plan etc I got it for £ 250...I was happy with that.
I must say a couple of years back unfortunately one of my grandchildren was not well on the motorway and was sick...some went on the rear seat & carpet mat. I did clean it as best as I could, but an aroma always lingered. It was my wife who reminded me that we had the auto glym treatment done when the car was new & we were well into our second year....I gave auto-glym a call and within 2 days they sent someone out to me and not only did he do the affected area, he completely valeted the whole vehicle inside & out with new protection. (all day it took him) so in view it was worth it, and what a good job he did.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I also had it done on mine, as I'd previously had it done on my mk7 golf and found it very good for preventing spills etc from spoiling the interior. It was also particularly good at keeping the paintwork in good nick.

Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can buy the AutoGlym kit on eBay for £32.99. It does however advise to use a professional to apply the products. Can't imagine it's that hard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ed1 said:
You can buy the AutoGlym kit on eBay for £32.99. It does however advise to use a professional to apply the products. Can't imagine it's that hard.
There is a post about this elsewhere on the forum ,all you are doing is lining the salesmans pockets as they get commission on this kind of stuff .
Might be worth it for some people to get the inside covered but as far as the outside goes it's a waste of money unless the paintwork is prepared properly as the coating won't stick and in a few months will be totally useless .
You look at the paintwork on any new car under some decent lighting and it will look as though someone has been over it with a Brillo pad !
Better off getting car detailed for similar money and after a few yrs your car will still look like new .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bigal said:
Better off getting car detailed for similar money and after a few yrs your car will still look like new .
forgive my ignorance Bigal, but what do you mean by getting the car 'detailed' for similar money.... :oops: :shock:

·
Registered
169 Posts
JonP said:
Bigal said:
forgive my ignorance Bigal, but what do you mean by getting the car 'detailed' for similar money.... :oops: :shock:
No problem JonP, ;)
Go to a detailer / valeter and get all the swirl marks polished out so the coating can get a grip on your paintwork .
If you get your dealer to put his product on the car as it is then you might as well just wipe your car with a wet rag , that's how much good it will do .
Best one to go for is a ceramic coating which is the "in " thing now rather than any of the other products or waxs etc .
Makes car far easier to wash and look after .
They will also do the inside with something like scotchgard also for a little extra on your cloth interior but would be able to protect the leather as well far better than we could do it yourself .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yea £36 on eBay and then the vw dealers do an awful job of application. If you're happy to pay £300 then a new car protection detail from a reputable detailer will fall around £3-400. For that you'll get full decontamination, machine polish to remove any scratches and swirls inflicted in transit or by the detailers valeters and some quality products applied. Apparently gyeon products with ceramic coat is a current favourite

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose you do this after what? 1 year - 18 months???

Also, again, forgive my ignorance, i went for the pure white...does that make a difference if you don't have a metallic paint finish?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just looked at reviews on Gyeon Q2 FabricCoat for fabric protection. Reviews are good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
JonP said:
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose you do this after what? 1 year - 18 months???

Also, again, forgive my ignorance, i went for the pure white...does that make a difference if you don't have a metallic paint finish?
It's up to you but best to get it done as soon as you get the car or soon after it's up to you .
Doesn't matter whether its metallic paint , solid paint whatever and any colour .
Especially good for keeping the bird droppings at bay as I found out on my golf parked at work .
Came out to my car at midnight after my shift had ended and a bird had decided to crap on my bonnet and in the heat of the day it had dried on but when the temperature had cooled the bird dropping had just curled up and I literally just flicked it off with nothing left on the car .
Also in the summer you always get all the squashed bugs on the front of your car and even when you've washed it you normally still have residue left which never comes off but not with the ceramic coating , paintwork comes up like new .
Every car I get now I always have it done as soon as I can .
The golf was an ex demo in pure white and was six months old and looked great when I got it but when my detailer looked at it he was shocked as it looked like someone had been at the paintwork with a wire brush . :eek:
It took him well over a day to polish out all the marks before he could even start on anything else all because the dealers so called valeters had been washing it !!.
Sorry for going on so much but I like to look after my cars ;) and hate it when I hear about other owners wasting there money on stuff from dealers who haven't got a clue .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ed1 said:
It isn't, but you don't get the warranty if you buy on eBay. The products on the car are one thing, but the back up if something happens is worth a lot more IMO.

·
Registered
339 Posts
watchman said:
Ed1 said:
It isn't, but you don't get the warranty if you buy on eBay. The products on the car are one thing, but the back up if something happens is worth a lot more IMO.
Autoglym kit is just a glorified polish so what is the warranty likely to cover?........water beading :?: :roll: Like many have said you can buy this stuff off E-Bay for £30.00 and the dealer charges £5-600.00 :?: :!: :shock: ........nice bit of commission for the salesman!

The best and only option to consider IMO is to employ the services of a good car detailer who will typically charge on average £350.00 for a 'new car detail'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
watchman said:
Ed1 said:
If you have a warranty issue with the product,the product is not very good or the product has not been applied properly. Most dealers will lash on the product without preparing the car correctly and move on to the next car.

I would sooner pay £32 on eBay and spend time doing it myself correctly.

Also with most products like Autogylm you are supposed to use their shampoo when washing the car to prolong the paint protection. How many people pay £300 for products like Autogylm at the Dealers and then get their car washed at a local car wash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seriously thinking about getting the detailing done prior to pickup. Can anyone reccomend someone in Lancs ?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Danb said:
Seriously thinking about getting the detailing done prior to pickup. Can anyone reccomend someone in Lancs ?
Sorry I don't 'Danb'....... but will look out to spot you in the New Year mate. Quite a few of us in Lanc's area now :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.