Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tiguan 150 TDi S with manual air-con has an option in the Car setup menu which says "Automatic Auxiliary Heater" which is checked and can't be unchecked and no other options on the same screen. Any you guys know what this means.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,565 Posts
This morning it was fairly cold, somewhere between 3-5 degrees, and I noticed warm air coming out through the dash vents within 15-20 or so seconds after starting the car, and not too long after that it was quite warm.
I've found the 'Automatic Auxiliary Heater' in the car set up menu as mentioned in the post above, anyone know any more about it?. Is it electrical etc.
Perhaps I should mention I haven't looked in the owners manual yet, but I will later when I get home.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
This subject has come up before, and the Auxiliary Heater is an option that can be fitted to the car in colder European climates, and doesn't appear to be an option in the UK (unless this has changed very recently).
If an Auxiliary Heater is fitted, there will be an extra button fitted in the Heater controls (indicated by the arrow in the accompanying picture).
However I believe in the UK with the absence of the Aux Heater this button is labelled 'REST', and can be used to circulate residual engine heat into the cabin when a warm engine is stopped. This can be very handy to keep the car warm this time of year whilst popping into the supermarket for example. It will turn off automatically after around 30 minutes to preserve the battery.
My car is a Sept'16 Model, and the Aux Heater option may now be available on newer models in the UK. Perhaps you could check your Heater controls and let us know what button you have?

Font Electric blue Gas Automotive exterior Circle

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,565 Posts
Essjay said:
This subject has come up before, and the Auxiliary Heater is an option that can be fitted to the car in colder European climates, and doesn't appear to be an option in the UK (unless this has changed very recently).
If an Auxiliary Heater is fitted, there will be an extra button fitted in the Heater controls (indicated by the arrow in the accompanying picture).
However I believe in the UK with the absence of the Aux Heater this button is labelled 'REST', and can be used to circulate residual engine heat into the cabin when a warm engine is stopped. This can be very handy to keep the car warm this time of year whilst popping into the supermarket for example. It will turn off automatically after around 30 minutes to preserve the battery.
My car is a Sept'16 Model, and the Aux Heater option may now be available on newer models in the UK. Perhaps you could check your Heater controls and let us know what button you have?

E1EDEB21-8EDE-4EEF-9B99-0330F28767B2.png

Steve
I definitely don't have the 'proper' auxiliary heater as in Webasto type etc, and as with standard UK spec mine says 'Rest' on the climate control panel (as in parked heating as I call it - lovely when the misses is taking ages to do her shopping), so I was wondering what gives heat to the cabin so quickly, and why this box is ticked in the main screen, in fact why it's there at all.

Having just done a quick Google post 5 here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/173583-Aux-heater says exactly what I have experienced, the inside heats up very quickly, glad I didn't pay for the heated windscreen now, this is almost as good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
CNC, you are right.

I have 66 plate SE Nav without "webasto" type heater and without button shown above by Essjay and have experienced very quick heating as well.
I have "Supplementary Heater" option ticked in menu and car gets warm inside very quickly. I suspect this is additional electric quick heater and if you go to CAR->Consumption menu you'll see increased fuel consumption and max length of "air conditioning" bar indicating high fuel/energy usage.

Have a look at my winter report where I mentioned this supplementary heater as well: https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=672&p=5303#top

Found similar topic on Golf forum, which confirms my explanation (but looks like only diesels got this): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6963

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
SlimPollack said:
CNC, you are right.

I have 66 plate SE Nav without "webasto" type heater and without button shown above by Essjay and have experienced very quick heating as well.
I have "Supplementary Heater" option ticked in menu and car gets warm inside very quickly. I suspect this is additional electric quick heater and if you go to CAR->Consumption menu you'll see increased fuel consumption and max length of "air conditioning" bar indicating high fuel/energy usage.

Have a look at my winter report where I mentioned this supplementary heater as well: https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=672&p=5303#top

Found similar topic on Golf forum, which confirms my explanation (but looks like only diesels got this): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6963
Thanks for confirming that SlimPollack, unless I've missed it I can find nothing about it in the vehicle specifications on the VW website.
Just followed your link and read your post about your Europe trip - very interesting and informative.

G

·
I have a SE 2016 very early demo car and mine as above warms up very quickly. That and my heated seats and steering wheel is lovely on cold mornings.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Tiggy has the same option, checked by default. However, it can be unchecked. 150ps TDI SEL.

Would be interested to know what the parameters are for the 'Automatic' bit because recently it's been freezing until the heated seats kick in and even longer until there's warm air from the vents. It's either not working, ineffective or not bleeding cold enough yet...

The wife's '06 Golf, TDI with basic air con, has an auxiliary heater that only kicks in when you whack the heat dial to max, it's pretty instantaneous though. Is there similar action required from the driver to invoke the auxiliary heater in the Tiggy?

·
Registered
220 Posts
My first diesel engine and it seems to take forever to heat the cabin. Heated seats are a plus - would have liked a heated steering wheel too, but it wasn't possible on the R-Line.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most vw audi diesels have had electric heaters which activate when the car has a frost warning and heats the car without diverting heat away from the engine when it's below 4 deg c. You'll notice the revs sit around 1100rpm whilst the heater is engaged. Once the engine reaches the correct temp it switches off and normal heating from the engine resumes. My 2010 a3 tdi, wifes old 2014 tt tdi all had it.

This is different to the auxiliary heater which can be set to warm the car before the engine is started so you get into a warm car

·
Registered
210 Posts
Or new EA211 engine has dual circuit cylinder head water line and has integrated exhaust manifold. This implies quick warm-up (1.4 engine) and quick cabin heating, as well as lower fuel consumption. It was on VW press release.

"...The fuel-economy improvement comes from a combination of many innovations. For one, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head. This setup reduces the distance exhaust gases have to travel before entering the turbocharger, helping fire the catalyst faster-it's located right next to the turbo, adjacent to the cylinder head. The headifold (we just made that up, let's see if it sticks) features its own cooling circuit. Valves in the coolant paths control this circuit's flow. By isolating and collecting the heat in the head, this engine comes up to temperature quicker, reducing the fuel-rich environment of a cold engine and heating the cabin quicker. Conversely, when the engine is up to temp, this circuit can cool the exhaust gas about 212 degrees Fahrenheit under full load, which is a boon for emissions...."

·
Registered
18 Posts
I downloaded the 'CarNet' app and on demo mode when you select Tiguan (I am awaiting delivery of mine!) It gives an option for remote auxiliary heating from the app. Whether it works or not remains to be seen! :)

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
MrsFordsTig said:
I downloaded the 'CarNet' app and on demo mode when you select Tiguan (I am awaiting delivery of mine!) It gives an option for remote auxiliary heating from the app. Whether it works or not remains to be seen! :)
Not if you're in the UK I'm afraid ;)

Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea I thought that was for electric cars only. Might be wrong, but either way it unfortunately doesn't work

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Pezamaria said:
Yea I thought that was for electric cars only. Might be wrong, but either way it unfortunately doesn't work
I think it might pay you to read this thread from the beginning ;)

Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
Essjay said:

Steve
I was meaning the option on the app is for electric cars only. So even if we had the aux heater it wouldn't work for us from the app (or so I think!)

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Pezamaria said:
Essjay said:

Steve
I was meaning the option on the app is for electric cars only. So even if we had the aux heater it wouldn't work for us from the app (or so I think!)
I see your reasoning, however the remote control is available for the European owners in colder climates who do have the Auxiliary Heater option to pre-heat the car in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ah cool, never knew that. Makes it a shame as that would be a great feature to have!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts