Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL
Searched a whole load of other threads but can’t find anything comparable….. hopefully somebody out there can shed some light.
I have a 2018 Tiguan SEL 150 diesel, manual, 4motion which has just turned 17K and…..until today( Friday 13th!), has been largely trouble free.
Drove 5 miles or so this morning, (mostly on motorway at 50mph + ) Parked up for a couple of hours then returned to find that the car wouldn’t start. Ignition seemed to be turning strongly enough, to such an extent that my immediate thought was a fuel blockage. However, a few seconds later a warning came up along the lines of ‘ 12V battery running low …. please drive car to recharge’. That would have been fine however, the car still wouldn’t start. Even when I took my hand off the key, the ignition continued to turn with no audible difference in tone which would suggest a failing battery. After 3 or 4 failed attempts, I popped the bonnet and checked the terminal connections which were all sound. Tried ignition again and …… started with first ( next ) turn of the key. Over the course of the day, I’ve made a number of other ( mostly short ) journeys. I’ve stopped and started multiple times and fortunately there has been no recurrence of the earlier problem.
Despite the battery warning, the strength of the ignition ‘turnover’ when I tried starting the car has me wondering if that is actually the problem. Faulty sensors seems to appear regularly in some of the threads I’ve read through.
Anybody know if there’s a simple way to check this without have to go to the stealership ?? Thanks in advance. SR

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,268 Posts
I had a one off issue last year, never happened before and hasn't happened since. Starter was turning just fine but the engine would not start at all. After 5 mins of confusion and a whirring starting r, I got out locked the door, unlocked for back in and it started first time.
Didn't bother with the stealers or VW recovery as it hasn't happened since.
Who knows 😳

·
Registered
755 Posts
Check the battery with a multimeter, prop it up on the windscreen to see what the voltage is on ignition and then starting or get someone to check it for you. If it won't start but the ignition is still strong, switch completely off, wait a moment and try again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I’m hoping it’s a one-off but ….. I’ve got a set of jump leads in the boot….. just in case ! TBH ….. most of my journeys are reasonably short and I know that this isn’t exactly helpful for Diesel engines and ….. while I’m certainly NOT a mechanic…. I’m just not convinced that the battery is the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this on my first Tiguan, went shopping in lockdown and outside when everyone was queuing it wouldn’t start. Called VW Assist they attended, turned out it was a dodgy battery. Booked it in at the dealers and they replaced under warranty. Glad they did was was told it was about £350 for a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch ! Thanks for the heads-up. I only got the car in October last year and it came with the additional 2 year warranty however, I’m not sure if that will cover the battery. Time to read the small-print !

·
Registered
241 Posts
Based on the last car, a Q3, dealer £350 ish, fast fit garage, £200 ish, motor factor £150 ish, but you have to code the battery yourself

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch again ! I’d previously looked at the OBD11 ‘thingy’ however, that level of tinkering is beyond my limited technical gifts. Had a read through the extended warranty and as expected…. battery not covered.
Started first turn this morning. Currently opting for prayer and jump leads in the hope that it’s a one-off. 🤞🏼Thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have breakdown cover, call them out and they will test the battery. While the cost is never good, better to get it fixed when you can, rather than when you have to

·
Registered
35 Posts
They changed mine for free as they tested the battery and said that it wasn’t holding the charge that it should be. But if you do have VW Assist or breakdown cover give them a shout to come and test out the battery level and they will say if it’s time for a new 1 or not.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Coding with OBD eleven is quite easy and there are you tube videos on this
When I checked mine, it was showing all zeros from factory - don’t know why though
I know my local battery centre wil fit for the cost of replacement if it’s needed

Ouch again ! I’d previously looked at the OBD11 ‘thingy’ however, that level of tinkering is beyond my limited technical gifts. Had a read through the extended warranty and as expected…. battery not covered.
Started first turn this morning. Currently opting for prayer and jump leads in the hope that it’s a one-off. 🤞🏼Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts