Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bicycle Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Bicycle Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Looks like VW sell two. One connects to the Roof bars and the other connects to towing hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Bike Rack Company has a 3-bike towball-mounted rack which has worked well for me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
if you have a tow ball these are one of the best options as nothing is touching the car, we had one on our old Nissan QQ You dont have to go for the VW one as well.
We had a two bike Thule rack like this one, I do have photos someplace of ours on our old car but cant find them at the moment.
It just clamps to the tow ball and it also tilts forward so you can get in the boot.
You can get a rack that holds three bikes.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got a Thule wingblade edge black with the proride black and love them. Cant use the sunroof properly though as very low to the roof!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would recommend the VW tow bar bike carrier which has permanent fittings for 2 bikes and the ability to increase to 3 bikes. It is hinged so you can tilt it when the bikes are fitted to access the boot with ease. The tilt is 90 degrees which is more than my friends one which is a Thule.

When the bike carrier is connected the electric opening of the tailgate from the key fob or internal switch is deactivated which prevents the boot lid opening onto the bikes.

It designed to take the weight of e-bikes although I only use it for road bikes, I believe the instructions stated max 60kg. The fittings to secure bikes are robust and well thought out and easy to use. The frame clamps open wide for those with thick bike frames. Frame clamps are also lockable as is the tow bar fitting.

The whole carrier folds away into and strong well made storage bag and it fits under the boot floor if you don't have a spare wheel or the subwoofer.

It is so easy to fit and remove I would highly recommend over roof rack bike carriers if you are going to transport bikes regularly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all do you know if I can install a hitch? I would prefer to install the 'one up' bike rack that's shown in the picture.

Does Vw offer a hitch? If so has anyone installed it. Will it be 1 1/2" or 2'?

I apprecitate the feedback as I am in the US and will be leaving to HK next week. If I can purchase the rack and bring it along with me, it would really save me some money.

Cheers!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts