Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did read a discussion a while ago which mentioned this but nothing confirmed. For the UK BiTDI models the battery is indeed in the boot, this results in the following side effect.

• No spare wheel
  • You can't put the boot floor down to the lower level

Personally I'm not too bothered by this, I can easily fit two Rotties in the back without the floor down.

On a positive note - it's fast :)! Also I'm still able to get 40~MPG over 50~ miles motorway driving, quite impressed by that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I suspect the reason the battery is there is due to lack of space under the bonnet with this engine.

It's a shame not to have a spare wheel, and I told myself I'd never buy a new car without one again but my BiTDi is hopefully being buit next week, so I caved.

Thanks for the info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's the exact reason why, the extra turbo is taking up the space where the battery would normally fit. Looks like they went, "oh where do we put the battery?" Usually VW are very good at covering all bases, I think they did slip up on this one. Still, I wouldn't let it put anyone off getting the BiTDI :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
It also seemed like a shame to not use the extra space by going for the Dynaudio :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
How much "stuff" do you think you could pack in there on either side of the subwoofer and battery? Just thinking about when we go on trips and we are already a bit nervous about the massive downsize (from a Disco 4).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chris w said:
It also seemed like a shame to not use the extra space by going for the Dynaudio :D
Turn the bass to 10 and you'll make earthquakes ;).

Also, the rear diffuser looks great on the BiTDI!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found out about the 'space' under the boot floor when I collected mine. I was a bit taken aback to be honest and the salesman didn't seem to have any answers either, I don't think he'd looked under the floor before. I don't have the large Circular device in mine, I am assuming that's the Dynaudio Sub so the space was quite large and empty.
After a couple of days at home I decided to re-purpose the polystyrene under tray from my wife's Golf Plus that wasn't being used. I had to cut a channel for the Power cable on the left but apart from that it fits OK and stops a few items rattling around.

Doesn't seem outrageous to suggest something like this should have been done by VW

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lack of a spare was my main reason to not go for the bi turbo, it was my original choice

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am also in the "Never be without a spare again" Club... Previously posted this tale of woe when I had a Mazda 6 without a spare...Just the repair kit......
Managed to get a nail impaled in the tyre - Absolutely bloody useless !
After half an hour on the hard shoulder buggering about to take off the tyre valve then pump in the magic fluid, then reinserted the valve and attempted to re inflate the tyre with an electric pump, only to see said magic fluid spraying out of the puncture hole. One trip to the nearest Kwik Fit, courtesy of the AA, and young Kevin at KF wasn't too pleased to have a litre of magic fluid fall out of the tyre all over his shoes when he took the tyre off the rim !
That was a bad day !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did read a discussion a while ago which mentioned this but nothing confirmed. For the UK BiTDI models the battery is indeed in the boot, this results in the following side effect.

• No spare wheel
  • You can't put the boot floor down to the lower level

Personally I'm not too bothered by this, I can easily fit two Rotties in the back without the floor down.

On a positive note - it's fast :)! Also I'm still able to get 40~MPG over 50~ miles motorway driving, quite impressed by that.
Hi just picked up my BiTurbo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts