Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having trouble with the easy open function on the electric tailgate. It worked intermittently for a week but will not work any more.
This is where you move your foot underneath the rear bumper which then automatically opens the boot. I have made sure the box is ticked in the infotainment system. :? May have to take a trip to the dealers next week. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Must be some sort of sensor at the bottom of the bumper I'm guessing? Any chance it just needs to be cleaned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
I was at my local VW dealer today and funny enough there was someone saying to the staff it was not working..... the sales manager went to try it and it worked straight away...I heard him telling the guy, once you've swept your foot step back or it will not open as the sensors detect an obstacle.... just a thought 'telcom'...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
One thing I found was that it's best not to sweep your foot from side to side, but put your foot straight in at the center and draw it straight back. I'm pretty sure it says to do it that way in the manual, but I've not checked.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I have heard from other sources that VW are aware of the issue relating to the sensor boot release and that it appears to be a software problem which will no doubt take probably 6 months before a robust fix is available! :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTD184 said:
I have heard from other sources that VW are aware of the issue relating to the sensor boot release and that it appears to be a software problem which will no doubt take must probably 6 months before a robust fix is available! :roll:
Thanks GTD184 I will see if the dealer is aware of this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
indeed - i think our friend thomas on autogefuehl in one of his extended reviews on the tiguan mentioned that it didnt work all the time.....which considering the price of it as an extra is outrageous!!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Hi Terry,

I tested this out at the weekend. The manual tells you to use your foot/leg in a sweeping motion front to back and not side to side. However, when I tried it, it was very hit and miss. Sometimes working and not. Definitely a problem. The only sensors I could see were the parking ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Well I went out today and I must have opened the tailgate at least half a dozen times using the 'foot under the bumper' method. Don't know if I've just got a good'un, but for me it worked every time.
I'll keep using this method to see if I get any future failures, and report back.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
[attachment=0]images (13).jpg[/attachm
Been and bought so new shoes today, ready for when I collect my Tig, and hopefully the boot will open every-time ...... :lol:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
So its you Stumpy who has been terrorising all those school kids dressed up as a killer clown?! :lol: :lol:

Im sure with those on your feet you will be able to drive your Tig from the back seat! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lt13624 said:
Hi Terry,

I tested this out at the weekend. The manual tells you to use your foot/leg in a sweeping motion front to back and not side to side. However, when I tried it, it was very hit and miss. Sometimes working and not. Definitely a problem. The only sensors I could see were the parking ones.
I believe this is the sensor which sits under the bumper area
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
I said in an earlier post in this thread that the 'sensor opening' was working fine for me, and I'd had very few, if any failures to open.
Well today I can reveal that it failed for me. Not once, not twice or even three, but I needed four attempts for it to open.
However, I reckon I know why this happened.........let me explain.
Today I went to lunch with some friends, and on showing them around the car I tried to demonstrate the boot. It failed, as I said, three times. When I returned home I went indoors and changed, and thought I'd go out to the car and try again, I tried at least a dozen times, and it worked every time :shock: .
So why? Well whilst with friends I was wearing black trousers with black shoes, and after changing when returning home I was wearing lighter coloured jeans with white trainers.
The only thing different is the colour (or rather brightness ) of my clothing. Could that be the answer ?
Note to self...........don't use the sensor opening unless wearing trainers :lol:

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Unless your friends were standing at an angle to close Steve (Essjay) :?: :?: :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Essjay said:
I said in an earlier post in this thread that the 'sensor opening' was working fine for me, and I'd had very few, if any failures to open.
Well today I can reveal that it failed for me. Not once, not twice or even three, but I needed four attempts for it to open.
However, I reckon I know why this happened.........let me explain.
Today I went to lunch with some friends, and on showing them around the car I tried to demonstrate the boot. It failed, as I said, three times. When I returned home I went indoors and changed, and thought I'd go out to the car and try again, I tried at least a dozen times, and it worked every time :shock: .
So why? Well whilst with friends I was wearing black trousers with black shoes, and after changing when returning home I was wearing lighter coloured jeans with white trainers.
The only thing different is the colour (or rather brightness ) of my clothing. Could that be the answer ?
Note to self...........don't use the sensor opening unless wearing trainers :lol:

Steve
I got the Mrs to take it back to the dealers about a week ago and it worked nearly every time for them :oops: I was told if the issue continues they will explore further but I just haven't had time to take it back. I have noticed if I get out when parking up and go straight to the rear and sweep the foot it worked twice. Went away for a minute and come back but it wouldn't open :cry: :cry: :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Got my new Tiguan last week and having the same problem. although mine isn't intermittent, I've not had it working once. When I collected it from the dealers they said they had it working but couldn't whilst I was there. . got it booked in to be looked at on Monday next week, will update on here when they let me know what the problem is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
In case anyone is interested... my Tiguan went into VW to diagnose the easy open problem. Turns out it's a problem with the Control Unit. They've had to order one in which will take up to a couple of weeks apparently.
 
G

·
richyo said:
In case anyone is interested... my Tiguan went into VW to diagnose the easy open problem. Turns out it's a problem with the Control Unit. They've had to order one in which will take up to a couple of weeks apparently.
Yes, same here. My R Line went back to the dealer for VW Technical to play with it. Leg wave failure traced to faulty Control Module. Replaced and reactivated, and now working OK.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top