Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from a Seat Leon to the Tiguan because knackered knees meant that I needed a car that was easy to get in and out of, the Tiguan does the job admirably, however, when I read up re boot space etc I assumed that it would be a lot bigger than my Leon but this doesn't seem to be the case. With the Leon I could get 2 large suitcases on their side into the boot plus a max sized carry on bag at the wheel end of the cases with the parcel shelf in the down position, with the Tiguan I can't stand the suitcases on the side and get the carry on bag at the end and then have the parcel shelf in the down position. The Leon shows the boot space as 380 litres (same as the Golf) the Tiguan I believe is supposed to have over 500 litres of space and even putting the adjustable boot floor into its lowest setting it still wasn't deep enough.

I eventually worked out that by sliding the rear seats forward I was able to get the 2 suitcases into the boot by pushing one as far forward as possible and then managed to get the other one alongside it, however this greatly reduces the amount of legroom available to the rear seat passengers so not ideal if you need to travel any sort of distance.

I guess I could have taken the parcel shelf out and laid it on top of the cases but as the shelf seems to be quite flimsy and I didn't want to leave it behind I went with the reduced leg room option.

Just wondered if anybody else has come across the same problem and what they did to solve the problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As title. I agree. Particularly when compared v a golf!

Sliding rear seats a help though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh dear - I was counting on the height of the boot from upper floor to parcel shelf being at least the same height as my Golf MK 7 upper floor to parcel shelf.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also agree I can only fit the buggy in boot of my Tiguan. In my A5 coupe I could get the buggy and a large suitcase. Sliding the back seat forward is not really an option for me as the passenger seat then has to be moved forward to fit the baby seat on the rear seat. I will definitely need a roof box for any road trips!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree as well. Move the rear seats as far forward as they can go and it's still marginal. I hope the tech in the Tiguan filters through to the Touareg soon as I'd like to have that little bit extra room but don't want to go backwards on tech features

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am very disappointed too with this. Bloody spare wheel I didn't know about... one I looked at in showroom had huge boot as no spare wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought all Tiguans, except 240, came with a spare wheel as standard.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the boot floor is in the raised position the parcel shelf fits under the boot floor when not in use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that the diesel has a slightly smaller boot but i can't find it now so i might have made it up!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Strangely enough, We have a Mondeo with a slightly smaller boot litres wise. If I use it for work it carries all my kit.
After testing a Tiguan boot, I could only get 70% of the kit in at best. Measurements and litres don't always tell the full story.

·
Registered
174 Posts
same experience. The boot is not the most practical of shapes. it is definitely bigger, but to utilise this you need the seat fully forward (not an option with one of my baby seats) and the parcel shelf off. My main issues are below

• with a buggy travel system laying sideways, all the space is behind the buggy and around the sides so is awkward to use
  • The height of the parcel shelf seems really low, i've no idea why it is this way. if anyone knows of a raised / domed alternative that would be awesome
  • the options to increase capacity (seats forward or shelf off) exposes my cargo to prying eyes. I often load the boot with Faberge eggs and Andy Warhol's, so I don't want people looking in and getting tempted
  • The automated boot needs a chime to tell you it has shut properly, otherwise you press the button and have to watch it latch properly, More than once I have got in the car to find the boot didn't shut all the way :(
  • There needs to be a "slam me like you mean it" button on the automatic boot, as the strut's resistance stop you from slamming it to get it closed

·
Registered
207 Posts
rockman2 said:
If the boot floor is in the raised position the parcel shelf fits under the boot floor when not in use.
I don't believe this to be the case. Certainly dosent in mine and Ive not seen anything on this forum to the contrary.
Whilst the instructions under the boot floor indicates the shelf will store there I believe it's only if there is no spare fitted. Therefore not UK market. This has been the subject of a previous thread.
Unless anyone knows different?
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Roy

Yes I was part of that thread - in short, if there is a spare tyre the parcel shelf will not "store". It was a bit of a mixed thread so I have not posted the link.

In reality, I find the Tig is not as good storage wise as I would expect - looking at the removable section at the back of the seats I wonder if VW intended to fold the rear seats forwards but just gave up?

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Believe that on a diesel variant, the ad blue tank takes some of boot space.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With a space saver spare and the boot floor in the upper position plus removing the two small plastic bits on either side of the cubby hole i thought it might have fitted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks Earl.
Keith21 you maybe correct, but I don't recollect that as the issue. When I and others tried it I believe it fouled the wheel arches. Haven't bothered for some time so may be wrong. But I know damage was caused to the shelf in some instances by continuing to push downwards.
Anyway somebody who has an empty boot and some spare time may just give it another try.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I picked up my car and the salesman spent an hour going through everything I asked him if there was anywhere to store the parcel shelf and he told me:

"Yes, in the house or garage and no it doesn't fit under the floor"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Roy said:
When I and others tried it I believe it fouled the wheel arches. Haven't bothered for some time so may be wrong. But I know damage was caused to the shelf in some instances by continuing to push downwards.
I concur, Tried to fit it under my boot floor, seems the width between the arches is about a centimetre too narrow. A bit dumb if you ask me, would have been very useful and I now have to get grief off of SWMBO for having the parcel shelf in the living room.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am currently in the process of moving house a small bit at a time. I have noticed that to get the most of of the storage that when you ower the floor you end up with a large lip between the boot and the seats and if you move the seats forward and fold them down so you et a large flat area you end up with a big gap between this lip and the seats. It is a shame they couldn't find a way to make everything match up a little bit more as sliding in stuff ends up you going back and forth to lift over the various obstacles. On a plus side the folding passenger seat means you can get really long stuff in without worrying about closing the boot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Dolphinfriendly1012,

If I'm right the lip lifts out - it's a right angle beam on mine that you just pull upward and that allows a more flat load to the seats.

I'm in the middle of shifting a flat and managed - 1 double bed (no mattress), 2 captains chairs & foot stools, large desk (flat), 600mm cube table and a range of bagged soft furnishings plus my electric golf cart. Never moved my seat and used the upper load position; so it's a bit difficult but Das Tig seems to be able to lug a good deal.

Cheers Earl

1 - 20 of 32 Posts