Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning light came on for brake fluid yesterday and right enough, quick look under the bonnet and its way below the min mark (coolant also pretty close to min). Could this have happened just by the car running in, or has the dealer missed it at handover?

Also the manual says to use special VW brake fluid available from service centres. Was just going to use standard 4 dot to get it into the garage and checked over but now I'm not sure if I should do that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If this is a new car, I would be concerned where the fluids have gone. Visit to the dealer methinks. Would have been ok at the factory as they are checked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW, I noticed soon after purchase that my coolant level was only just at the minimum level. On speaking to my dealer, it appears that VW have often been filling new vehicles to this level at manufacture. Having topped up using the 1 litre bottle supplied by my dealer, the level remains at the maximum level. Given your experiences, I will be checking my brake fluid level tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update on this, the roadside assist guy came out earlier in the week and was happy there was no leaks or anything and topped fluid up. Car went into dealership yesterday for 6 week courtesy check and I had them check out the whole brake system and they are happy with his assessment that there had to be an airlock for 6 weeks.

They did confirm that it's Vw's policy to ship the car with the minimum qty of fluid (brake, coolant etc) to allow the car to turn over. The dealers are then suppose to top them all up prior to delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new SEL delivered last Friday had both brake and coolant fluids at the max level. Tyres were at ' comfort 'pressure though and Adblue at 4500 miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't know if thr brake fluid cap has a vent hole. If so the reason it is not topped up could be due to the way some cars are packed onto a transporter. Some are tilted to some steep angles so maybe some fluid would leak out if filled to max. Should have been topped up at PDI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts