Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not owned an automatic car and not familiar with their maintenance, I'm interested to learn about the brakes.
I'm very much aware when driving, that I'm using the brakes harder/more. The engine does not brake the car as a manual car does and I'm very conscious of braking hard into a turn, left or right or when stopping behind the car in front. Also when the beast is travelling fast, the weight of the Tiguan is quite noticeable when having to rapidly stop when in any such situation.

Obviously the brakes are a little more meaty because of the weight of the Tiguan, but just wondering if an automatic goes through the pads and discs much quicker.

I note from the VW servicing, if you take the car in for brake pads they will guarantee them for life, i.e. they will replace pads whenever they wear down for free. I guess that does not apply to discs, so again my question being, do the discs wear more on automatics.

Not sure if the likes of Kwikfit or other outlets do the same with free pads, if anyone knows of any others that do, would be good to share.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
not in a DSG, no torque converter so engine connected to wheels. Lift off the accelerator you get full engine braking. You only need to brake as much as you would in a manual....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Additionally - I spotted the DSG shifting down the box on steep inclines - dropped from D7 to D4 as it started down a steep slope. so again no brake wear.......

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
alanbathurst said:
unless you're in economy mode when there is no engine braking
Now that intrigues me as I'm a mk1 owner so don't have these modes. How does this work, does it engage freewheel when in economy mode?

Yes Earl, the DSG does shift down when your continuously braking downhill, also shifts down (less agressively) as you slow down normally, e.g for junctions or lights or going into a lower speed zone and you lift off. (even more noticeable with a big caravan on your tail...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts