Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to give the car a brief wash before a downpour last night!

Love a bit of beading, I am looking forward to giving it a proper clean when weather allows.

What do you guys use to keep the plastic trim around wheel arches etc looking good?

Water Liquid Automotive tire Road surface Grass

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille

Plant Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tammma said:
Sparkie - how/what did you use to clean the engine bay? mine is filthy...
Autoglym vinyl and rubber care mate and give it a few wipes over. Obviously wipe the dirt off first, I had some builders wipes in my van so used those and then a light spray and wipe with microfibre cloth!

Obviously avoid the belts etc :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I do like Atlantic Blue- shame the R-Line has a limited choice as it would have been a real contender. Anyway, I use Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care on all the external vinyl trim. Easy to apply and brings back the original colour.

I know members use a range of products so there will be others to consider but for me, this works.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John27 said:
I do like Atlantic Blue- shame the R-Line has a limited choice as it would have been a real contender. Anyway, I use Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care on all the external vinyl trim. Easy to apply and brings back the original colour.

I know members use a range of products so there will be others to consider but for me, this works.
Oh you use it externally on the plastics Round the wheel arches etc ? Never thought of that!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, works on exterior trim. My previous SEL had vinyl panels at the bottom of all 4 doors and places on the front bumper as well, if I remember rightly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John27 said:
Yes, works on exterior trim. My previous SEL had vinyl panels at the bottom of all 4 doors and places on the front bumper as well, if I remember rightly.
Can't believe I've never thought of that! Love the vinyl and rubber care!

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,248 Posts
My eyesight is getting bad. Kept thinking your name was Sparkle1984 after seeing those pics
Very nice

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrew42 said:
My eyesight is getting bad. Kept thinking your name was Sparkle1984 after seeing those pics
Very nice
Ha ha thanks!

I have to say the Atlantic Blue is growing on me. My last car was a flat white and very uninspiring to clean!

Looking forward to seeing it shine in the sun

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,248 Posts
Sparkie1984 said:
mrew42 said:
Very nice
Ha ha thanks!

I have to say the Atlantic Blue is growing on me. My last car was a flat white and very uninspiring to clean!

Looking forward to seeing it shine in the sun
If Atlantic Blue was still available on the R Line, i would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.
Such a shame

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,567 Posts
Nice job Sparkie1984.

The picture of your engine bay puts mine to shame, I haven't cleaned under the bonnet since it was new :oops: , I think I'll have a go at doing mine as soon as I get a chance, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CNC said:
Nice job Sparkie1984.

The picture of your engine bay puts mine to shame, I haven't cleaned under the bonnet since it was new :oops: , I think I'll have a go at doing mine as soon as I get a chance, it makes a huge difference.
It really does make a massive difference and it's very satisfying having a nice clean engine bay!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gave her a freshen up today....

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Grass

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Blue Automotive lighting Hood

Cloud Sky Vehicle registration plate Building Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very nice indeed. That reminds me, I must give my Tiggy a clean. Trouble is when it's overcast and not too windy (ideal cleaning weather) the effing midges come out and seem to be more ferocious this year for some reason :roll:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wildcat said:
Very nice indeed. That reminds me, I must give my Tiggy a clean. Trouble is when it's overcast and not too windy (ideal cleaning weather) the effing midges come out and seem to be more ferocious this year for some reason :roll:
It certainly is a Labour of love! But I enjoy it weirdly, let's me take my mind off other things.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sparkie1984 said:
Wildcat said:
It certainly is a Labour of love! But I enjoy it weirdly, let's me take my mind off other things.
Very true. Incidentally, what products do you use to clean your Tiggy? If mine is really bad, i.e. winter salt/grim etc, I'll use Autoglym TFR at 1:32 as per instructions, then pressure wash off, then either Bilt Hamber Autofoam as a pre wash (if not using TFR) and pressure wash off and handwash with whatever shampoo I happen to have, or Autoglym Polar Blast, then Polar Wash and then a rinsing agent Autoglym Polar Seal. I must have loads of different products I've bought over the years, so I'm gradually using them up :oops:
I've also tried Showroom Shine (waterless wash/wax) and also Super Polish Pro's waterless wash/wax for finishing off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wildcat said:
Sparkie1984 said:
Wildcat said:
Very true. Incidentally, what products do you use to clean your Tiggy? If mine is really bad, i.e. winter salt/grim etc, I'll use Autoglym TFR at 1:32 as per instructions, then pressure wash off, then either Bilt Hamber Autofoam as a pre wash (if not using TFR) and pressure wash off and handwash with whatever shampoo I happen to have, or Autoglym Polar Blast, then Polar Wash and then a rinsing agent Autoglym Polar Seal. I must have loads of different products I've bought over the years, so I'm gradually using them up :oops:
I've also tried Showroom Shine (waterless wash/wax) and also Super Polish Pro's waterless wash/wax for finishing off.
I currently jet wash, use autoglym polar something snow foam, dual bucket wash method and jet wash clean. I then use an autoglym clay bar (not every time obviously), Autoglym deep shine polish and finish off with Bilt Hamber wax.

Rain X for the windows / sunroof and headlights. I also clean the cameras with it so it helps repell the water and dirt off of them.

Wheels were cleaned with a brush / wheel sponge and G techniq wheel cleaner and sealed with an autoglym spray sealant which I am trying to use up. I have some G Techniq proper wheel coating which I will get round to at some point.

I've never used a TFR before, what's the benefit of it? Does it do away with needing a clay bar?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sparkie1984 said:
Wildcat said:
Sparkie1984 said:
I currently jet wash, use autoglym polar something snow foam, dual bucket wash method and jet wash clean. I then use an autoglym clay bar (not every time obviously), Autoglym deep shine polish and finish off with Bilt Hamber wax.

Rain X for the windows / sunroof and headlights. I also clean the cameras with it so it helps repell the water and dirt off of them.

Wheels were cleaned with a brush / wheel sponge and G techniq wheel cleaner and sealed with an autoglym spray sealant which I am trying to use up. I have some G Techniq proper wheel coating which I will get round to at some point.

I've never used a TFR before, what's the benefit of it? Does it do away with needing a clay bar?
I've never used a clay bar, too scared to :lol: As I've not got a covered area or garage to keep Tiggy in (outside all the time) I would be too worried of contaminants landing on the car/panels before I get chance to clay bar it. Yeah, I also do 2 bucket method now, used to only be one :oops: so unfortunately I've put a few swirl marks on it. I think Meguiars do something for swirls, so I'll have to buy and try some of that. I also use Rain X on the glass when I remember. The TFR (traffic film remover) is really a degreaser, similar to Bilt Hamber's Auto foam? Because of it's strength, you don't need much. The Autoglym TFR is 1:32 - so about 150ml to 5lt water in a hand pump sprayer, but I only do the worst areas, like the front grill downwards, rear end (all of it because so much cr*p sticks to the back end of Tiguans) and the lower half of the side panels, about top of wheel arch level, all along the sides. I've noticed I've picked up quick a few tar spots on the side panels and rear end, so I've got a solvent spray to try on that when I get a moment.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clay bar is amazing at tar spots! I always make sure I finish with a wax or protection of some sort when I use a clay bar.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sparkie - is this because the clay bar strips off clearcoat and/or all the protectant layers of polish/wax as well as any trapped/stubborn dirt with it?

I clay barred the front lip of the bonnet/grille areas the other week...but left it at that after getting all the crap off...

tammma

1 - 20 of 24 Posts