Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Tammma said:
Sparkie - is this because the clay bar strips off clearcoat and/or all the protectant layers of polish/wax as well as any trapped/stubborn dirt with it?

I clay barred the front lip of the bonnet/grille areas the other week...but left it at that after getting all the crap off...

tammma
Yes that's my logic for it, well that's what I assume as it's quite a physical action so can't see many waxes or coatings still being on afterwards.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sparkie1984 said:
Tammma said:
Sparkie - is this because the clay bar strips off clearcoat and/or all the protectant layers of polish/wax as well as any trapped/stubborn dirt with it?

I clay barred the front lip of the bonnet/grille areas the other week...but left it at that after getting all the crap off...

tammma
Yes that's my logic for it, well that's what I assume as it's quite a physical action so can't see many waxes or coatings still being on afterwards.
Have a look at this youtube video from Detailing World, it's quite informative and the bit about why you need to polish afterwards is about 4mins into the video ;) I've never clayed a car before, but have treated myself to a Bilt Hamber regular clay bar but haven't had the weather to try it out yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never used a clay bar, too scared to :lol: As I've not got a covered area or garage to keep Tiggy in (outside all the time) I would be too worried of contaminants landing on the car/panels before I get chance to clay bar it. Yeah, I also do 2 bucket method now, used to only be one :oops: so unfortunately I've put a few swirl marks on it. I think Meguiars do something for swirls, so I'll have to buy and try some of that. I also use Rain X on the glass when I remember. The TFR (traffic film remover) is really a degreaser, similar to Bilt Hamber's Auto foam? Because of it's strength, you don't need much. The Autoglym TFR is 1:32 - so about 150ml to 5lt water in a hand pump sprayer, but I only do the worst areas, like the front grill downwards, rear end (all of it because so much cr*p sticks to the back end of Tiguans) and the lower half of the side panels, about top of wheel arch level, all along the sides. I've noticed I've picked up quick a few tar spots on the side panels and rear end, so I've got a solvent spray to try on that when I get a moment.
Traffic Film Remover (TFR) is the commercial name for vehicle cleaning detergents. They come in lots of different guises (we have about 10 on our range) depending on what you are cleaning. There are also different technologies behind them which have an impact on performance, effectiveness, concentration etc. For cars you want one which will clean well but which will not affect any brightwork on the car nor flatten the paintwork. Needless to say I can suggest suitable Autosmart products if you wish!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts