Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had my car 8 weeks now and the warranty work starts. Hope this isnt the start of things to come.

1. New windscreen required as the robots that put it in damaged the top seal. VW say it needs a new seal which only comes with a windscreen.

2. Paintwork on the underside of the bonnet needs redoing as it is flaking off the joining seal compound on left side and slightly on the right side.

Check your cars carefully when picking up.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well had my car 8 weeks now and the warranty work starts. Hope this isnt the start of things to come.

1. New windscreen required as the robots that put it in damaged the top seal. VW say it needs a new seal which only comes with a windscreen.

2. Paintwork on the underside of the bonnet needs redoing as it is flaking off the joining seal compound on left side and slightly on the right side.

That is not good - thanks for the warning! :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
That sounds like you have got a lemon 🍋.
I am surprised the factory didn’t pick up on the issues when they were checking it?

My other thought is that the vehicle may have been damaged after it left the factory and that is where the poor quality has come from. 😳

I know that I would be concerned about either scenario as both point to a vehicle with the potential to throw up more issues down the line.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I should point out the windscreen doesn't actually have a seal. It's bonded to the body forming the seal. So they're right that they wouldn't be able to remove the windscreen and clean the edge sufficiently to guarantee a seal. Thus a new screen is the most reliable option. Likelyhood is the original bond might have had a bubble or something that missed a spot on application.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Could you show photos how it's looks?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is the underside of the bonnet not covered with sound-deadening material? VW and many other manufactures stopped applying to top coat paint to engine compartments a few years ago.

·
Registered
628 Posts

its why i am not replacing at the moment two many issues with car manufacture

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just picked up my Tiguan R at the weekend. As soon as I drove away I could hear a loud road noise from it? Took it straight back and had to leave it to get checked out. Got a call to say that their having to replace all the tyres on the car (Hankook with Continentals) as they think that all the tyres were faulty. Also had an issue getting the right R floor mats, got the plain black ones.. brought this up with the General Manager who said that the R Type mats don’t come as standard on the R (which they do) they have to be bought as an accessory… anyway that’s me without the car for 3 days…. What a start 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just picked up my Tiguan R at the weekend. As soon as I drove away I could hear a loud road noise from it? Took it straight back and had to leave it to get checked out. Got a call to say that their having to replace all the tyres on the car (Hankook with Continentals) as they think that all the tyres were faulty. Also had an issue getting the right R floor mats, got the plain black ones.. brought this up with the General Manager who said that the R Type mats don’t come as standard on the R (which they do) they have to be bought as an accessory… anyway that’s me without the car for 3 days…. What a start 🤦🏻‍♂️
You are right saying the blue trimmed R mats come as standard,I got them in mine and remember seeing them listed as standard equipment.

As for the tyres I've no idea what to say,the Hankooks so far seem decent,I had contis on my last SUV and it needed all 4 replaced after 6500 miles from new due to them wearing quickly due to the weight and power(510ps).Most BMW models the same had similar wear from the tyres and they no longer factory fit them,hopefully you get better mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are right saying the blue trimmed R mats come as standard,I got them in mine and remember seeing them listed as standard equipment.

As for the tyres I've no idea what to say,the Hankooks so far seem decent,I had contis on my last SUV and it needed all 4 replaced after 6500 miles from new due to them wearing quickly due to the weight and power(510ps).Most BMW models the same had similar wear from the tyres and they no longer factory fit them,hopefully you get better mileage.
VW are saying that the tyre issue could be that they had held a lot of stock due to the shutdown/pandemic which could possibly have an effect on the rubber on the tyre deteriorating, this wouldn’t be visible to the naked eye… their also saying that tyres are all date stamped and the ones that I had on the car could have been older stock..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just picked up my Tiguan R at the weekend. As soon as I drove away I could hear a loud road noise from it?
Thought that was going to lead to a joke as one would expect a loud noise from an R. You muse be extremely disappointed. They need to throw in the correct matts and more mate.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Is it the tyres or maybe faulty wheel bearings? Tyres can make a noise due to uneven wear but I've never heard of Hankook tyres being faulty unless as said above they are over 10 years old.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the long wait but been away and out of the country on work. Here are the images of the windscreen seal where it meets the roof and its along the top of the windscreen and the second is of the underside if the bonnet.
Hood Sky Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Water Liquid Sky Fluid Rectangle

• Wow
Reactions: Bree

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wow, was it made by British Leyland?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sgreen679

What they said: That doesn't look line the factory fitted windscreen, the robots align it mm precisely. Maybe your car had some delivery damage they rectified before sale and are passing it off as a factory mistake?
I'm on my third windscreen in three years and none have looked that bad? If this was pre-sale damage that was rectified and a new screen fitted, then did they also re-calibrate the sensors which is necessary on a windscreen replacement?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it was damaged then it was done at factory as my brother is the sales manager of the garage I got it from and he would have told me and refused to sell it me. It was so quick through production and on ship I gave doubts whether it was done there either. It’s all getting sorted now and new windscreen should be in by next week or so. The bonnet will be sorted out afterwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it the tyres or maybe faulty wheel bearings? Tyres can make a noise due to uneven wear but I've never heard of Hankook tyres being faulty unless as said above they are over 10 years old.
Got my car back today, replaced all the tyres with Continental Conti-Silent tyres, now no noise whatsoever and a full tank of fuel as an apology.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts