Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So after some friction with the dealer, my build week is set to week 19, meaning if everything goes well I will get the car during the first week of June.

I told my dealer I want to clean the car myself and she told me it is fine if I want to, but the car will have protective foils that leave glue marks after removing. These, she advised are hard to clean myself (although she repeatedly said I can choose whatever I want). She invited me to check their cleaning result on a brand new black car so that I an take my decision. She assured me they use a new sponge for each car and that they use the Autosmart products.

Any suggestions on what should I do? Anyone knows if Autosmart is any good? This dealer appears to be official Autosmart detailer. I would rather not try and clean heavy glue marks if avoidable, but also I would not want to have swirl marks on a new car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
No.

Wash yourself or get detailer to prepare your car.

Glue marks are easy to remove. I had the protective wrappers removed only and there was very few glue marks at all. I got detailer to prepare my car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AzTig said:
No.

Wash yourself or get detailer to prepare your car.

Glue marks are easy to remove. I had the protective wrappers removed only and there was very few glue marks at all. I got detailer to prepare my car.
Thanks for your reply.

I contemplated going to detailers, the problem is they are too expensive here. The premium guys take around 400 - 430 GBP for the basic wash+polish+seal/wax package for SUV's. So, I think professional detailing is most probably not what I will choose.

The other option I had in mind was a personal Autoglym treatment (which I never done before):
1. Wash with autoglym shampoo
2. Clay the car
3. Polish with resin autoglym polish
4. Wax with HD Autoglym wax

For this i would need to rent a garage wash, doing it outside in June in Sweden can be really unpredictable and if the car has glue marks I do not want to spend a week driving like that until all the stars align to have a nice cloudy day.

So, I might take them on offer to check out one black car they will detail. If they do damage the paint, the black car will show it the best. Afterwards, i have to pray they do a sam good job on mine. If I see swirls on the black car, I go with my own washing skills (never done claying or polishing in my life).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Surely if they damage your car with swirls etc, then you have the right to 1) refuse it or 2) get them to pay to put it right?

·
Registered
463 Posts
If someone else cleans the car and there is damage how do you prove it was there before if the dealer doesnt remove and clean protective coverings?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have asked them not to clean its exteriro. My detailer said to inspect the paintwork anyway for any dings, resprays etc before accepting. I should have it next week so I will let you know if there are any problems that arise by doing it this way

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bhuna said:
Surely if they damage your car with swirls etc, then you have the right to 1) refuse it or 2) get them to pay to put it right?
My experience so far with dealers in Sweden is: They will take whatever they can and give nothing back!

Beagler said:
If someone else cleans the car and there is damage how do you prove it was there before if the dealer doesnt remove and clean protective coverings?
That is a valid argument, hmmm...

NoHopeNoFear said:
I have asked them not to clean its exteriro. My detailer said to inspect the paintwork anyway for any dings, resprays etc before accepting. I should have it next week so I will let you know if there are any problems that arise by doing it this way

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd expect a few light hairline scratches from a rogue particle on the paintwork from dealership detailing, it wouldn't bother me as I'd polish/compound those out regardless (also impossible to keep it pristine for the long run), just no isolated deep scratches. I probably wouldn't drive off the premises without the car being up to 'scratch'.

However, I do agree that finding a cloudy and reasonably temperate day during the summer is difficult to fully detail in peace. I'd reconsidering not having it professionally detailed upon arrival, bite the bullet on this occasion and personally maintain the detailing work for as long as possible, at your own convenience, with your own products/methods.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Took delivery of the car on Tuesday, and I am super happy. I asked the dealer not to clean it. The did a very general tidy to get rid of most of the sticky marks from protective covers. The car was a little dusty in the nooks and crannys, but looked amazing

There was a dirty mark on the headlining, but the valeter came out and cleaned it while we finished the paperwork

My advise is to take your time, and make sure you check wheels paint chrome interior etc thouroughly. My detailer said to take a small led torch with you to give a consistent light source to spot any serious defects.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
433 Posts
A tough one for me as my dealer has presented my last 3 VW,s in perfect condition which was confirmed by me detailer when he got his hands one them. The issue I had with not having the car handed over to me cleaned was that it can mask paint faults of transit marks that you can point out immediately if you have taken the car away then found them the dealer could say this has happened after the car left their premises.

Sponges either new or old are the enemy of any car detailer. Dealers should really adopt the snow foam pre clean procedure to ensure that there are no swirls caused by fine particles . Also there is no need to clay bar a new car, what you should do is use a decontamination fluid that will remove and metal fallout that the car has collected in transit. There are so very good YouTube clips explaining this process.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Timbo said:
A tough one for me as my dealer has presented my last 3 VW,s in perfect condition which was confirmed by me detailer when he got his hands one them. The issue I had with not having the car handed over to me cleaned was that it can mask paint faults of transit marks that you can point out immediately if you have taken the car away then found them the dealer could say this has happened after the car left their premises.

Sponges either new or old are the enemy of any car detailer. Dealers should really adopt the snow foam pre clean procedure to ensure that there are no swirls caused by fine particles . Also there is no need to clay bar a new car, what you should do is use a decontamination fluid that will remove and metal fallout that the car has collected in transit. There are so very good YouTube clips explaining this process.
My dealer had another customer request NOTHING be done to the car, i.e. delivered with all the plastic wrappings still in place. My car was given a gentle clean as they didn't want a filthy car on the showroom floor (you couldn't tell it wasn't a thorough clean without getting close up), so any issues would have been visible. You are right though, if it is too dirty or still covered it could cause issues.

On a side note I watched their junior giving the cars on the lot a wipe down with a tiny bucket and a single dirty cloth for all of them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts