Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question! I normally would just crack on in any of my other cars but as this is brand new I don't want to damage anything. What is the best way to replace the sidelight/drl bulbs, I already have replacements but can't seem to get my hands anywhere near?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Andrew
Did mine yesterday, took a bit of sorting, reading manual but once I had fathomed it really straight forward.
I will do my best to explain, no doubt someone will correct me if I get it wrong.
First remove the larger rubber cover from the rear of the light.
You will see at the bottom of the opening what I would describe as a plastic lever, turn this anti-clockwise and pull back. Change bulb.
Line up bulb holder at base of light between two marker lines.
Locate holder and turn clockwise.
Relocating the holder gave me problems until I used the marker lines.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you changed the drl from halogen to led? The PW24W with the Cambus CREE?
I get my car in about 10 days or so and I think that is the first job I will do. It sounds straightforward...is it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Andrew you are welcome.
JonP yes and it is very straight forward, just the final refitting gave me problems until I used the two marker lines on the base of the headlight unit.
Nice one - slimpollock has kindly posted a photo of the upgrade under the topic 'halogen headlight bulb'. Sorry not sure how to provide you with link to this.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cheers roy

I was looking on internet earlier and I saw the led PW24W replacement saying for bmw but couldn't find mention of tiguan - just golf mk 7 - no issues then, Roy, can I ask where you sourced them?

·
Registered
207 Posts
JonP said:
Cheers roy

I was looking on internet earlier and I saw the led PW24W replacement saying for bmw but couldn't find mention of tiguan - just golf mk 7 - no issues then, Roy, can I ask where you sourced them?
Hi Jonp
From eBay. Again a link has been posted under topic halogen headlight bulb. Just followed info provided, but they were limited so don't know if they are still available from this source.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi gerge
I replaced trunk/sunvisor/glovebox lamps with LED's
Trunk light is festoon 41/41mm
Sunvisor lights are festoon 38/39 mm
Glove box is T10 W5W.
Get the correct length of festoon, otherwise you will end up bending contacts to suit. I bought all from fleabay, all cool white and are VERY bright ! Footwell are already LED.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
paperman said:
Hi gerge
I replaced trunk/sunvisor/glovebox lamps with LED's
Trunk light is festoon 41/41mm
Sunvisor lights are festoon 38/39 mm
Glove box is T10 W5W.
Get the correct length of festoon, otherwise you will end up bending contacts to suit. I bought all from fleabay, all cool white and are VERY bright ! Footwell are already LED.

Cheers
Hi how did you manage to get the trunk light out to replace the bulb. There is a small slot on the inside end but when I tried that it sounded if something might break if i levered it from there. Does the whole light unit come out or just the plastic cover.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi rockman2, the full trunk light comes out. Don't try to lever out from the front as the catch is quite strong. Take of the plastic cover beside the light, think this is access to something else, and slide your hand behind the trunk light. The spring/catch is on the end of the light unit, and just needs compressed in with your finger, and the full unit will pop out. Beware, if attempting this for some time, with the light on, it will burn you .... don't ask how I KNOW THIS !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just got a couple of the CREE Canbus LED DRLs bulbs but have not fitted yet. I know the coresponding one goes out as you use the indicators but can anyone tell me if they dim down when you turn on your sidelights. The same way the halogen ones do ?

These lights serve a dual purpose of being a DLR and a side light. Presumably the voltage is dropped down to make them run on reduced brightness when used in sidelight mode. I just wonder if these CREE Canbus LED DRLs bulbs do the same without any flickering.

Could somebody who has fitted these have a quick look to see if they dim down correctly in side light position, with no flickering, Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Be aware VW use the trick of on/off cycles to adjust brightness. Was intrigued on my mk1 to discover the stop/brake light was a single filament 21 watt bulb. It "dims" it for sidelight by turning it on for maybe 20 to 30% of the time. If this is done fast enough it appears to our eyes to be permanently on but less bright. This is why seeing cars on television the lights these days frequently appear to be flickering....

Many LED only work at one voltage, and won't work for this application. They need to be suitable for the usage, then they'll work.

Most modern home dimmers use the same technique, and thus with non dimmable LED bulbs they just flicker slightly then go off when used with one of these dimmer switches.

·
Registered
72 Posts
paperman said:
Hi rockman2, the full trunk light comes out. Don't try to lever out from the front as the catch is quite strong. Take of the plastic cover beside the light, think this is access to something else, and slide your hand behind the trunk light. The spring/catch is on the end of the light unit, and just needs compressed in with your finger, and the full unit will pop out. Beware, if attempting this for some time, with the light on, it will burn you .... don't ask how I KNOW THIS !
Worked perfectly! Thanks. Is there a trick to changing out the bulb in the glovebox?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi gerge, from memory, the glovebox lamp unit pops out easier than the trunk light, pops out with a twist of a small screwdriver. You then have to disassemble the lamp unit heat sink to change the lamp, but its easy to do and put together again. One word of caution on this as well, tie some string to the cable end when you disconnect, it has a habit of disappearing back into the hole, and its difficult to get hold of again !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.