Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Buy VWFS at end of lease

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  leehal 
#1 ·
My current lease through VWFS is up in February 2023, I’ve ordered a new Tiguan on a PCP and am stuck in the no idea when it will be delivered dilemma.

Has anyone any experience of buying their lease can from VW (through BCA) at the end of their lease?

My car will only have around 12,000 miles on it after 3 years and I’m trying to decide if buying it may be the best option given current delays etc. The car is immaculate and I know the history, it would be a good buy if the price is right.

#2 ·
MY20 R line tech 4 motion 50TDi stock terminates in July with approx 20k on the clock - BCA = £28,600 - a bit rich!

Reactions: leehal
#3 ·
With a PCP the final value is defined right up front. It can end up accurate, too high or too low. The customer can choose to just hand back if prices have fallen or taken advantage if prices have risen. If you choose a high annual mileage then the finance company will set the final value low and make you pay more during your ‘hire’.

With lease, it is the leasing company that has the power, they set the purchase price at the end, of course they start off with a price in mind, that’s how they set the lease price but at the end of lease if car values have risen they will ask a high price.

My only experience was when I enquired about purchasing a company car. The monthly lease price that I had to pay had been set very high because I was expected to do 20k miles a year. The monthly lease was based on the car being worth about £10k at the end. Throughout the lease my work pattern changed and I did a lot less mileage, in fact I had done just under 30k compared with an expected 60k so I enquired about purchasing it, £10k sounded like a great deal. So I was surprised when they came back with £18k.

So they had charged me a high lease based on high predicted mileage and then they wanted to charge me a premium because I didn’t do that high mileage. Felt like they were charging me twice - but that is the fact of life, the lease company is in the driving seat, they have the power, they can charge what they want and your prior arrangement with them is irrelevent.

I would expect that in a current climate with used car prices very high they are going to come back with a high valuation - regardless of what you paid during the lease period.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: leehal
#4 ·
I am in the same boat with regards mileage, paying a lease on 45K over the duration and may only do 1/4 of that, I get the impression I will be over paying twice.

We Buy Any Car values my car at the moment at £28.5K, using that as a guideline I am probably better sticking with the new car I've ordered.

#5 ·
Don't forget WBAC price will be low enough for the 'buyer' to make a profit when passing it on. the https://www.purchasemyvehicle.co.uk/ (BCA) price will add some profit for them on top.
I looked into doing the same back in 2020 when my SE Nav lease was up, but the price was too rich for me so ended up getting a new lease on an R Line Tech.
Now i'm about to chuck that in for a PCP (instead of a lease) on an Allspace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.