Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up to the Guide and Inform basic package last night as I thought it could be handy for sending destinations or routes to the car in advance. I see there is also a Car-Net plus but they don't seem to mention how much this would cost. (edit - I think it's a £340 charge for 10 years on the Extras page of the configurator)

Anyone else using Car-Net or do you see it as a waste of time?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Me too, although not have car til next week I have registered and please copy me in. Not planning on using the 'app' thingy as got an older steam phone!

·
Registered
953 Posts
A bit of a chocolate fire guard in my view, I think pos the most us full bit is the fuel station, with prices bit
But what info are VW getting about you your car and your driving???

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hartside. It may take a couple of days to fully register (it did for me).

I have sent a few destinations and also used nearest restaurants / petrol stations.

It will suit some and not others and it's free for a while so give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, noticed it's valid until 2020. As you say may take a couple of days, registered yesterday evening and got the registration code into the car last night without issue. It was not connecting last night and I'm sure I had read before about the couple of days to get it up and running, so I'll try tomorrow

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought all the car net functions were now included for free on a R-Line?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mmmm....Yes that's what I'm expecting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DPStratMan said:
Are you waiting for September to collect?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think it's free for a defined period, thereafter a subscription. I use it for sending destinations via the CarNet app, useful for that.

The video I saw on YouTube seemed to suggest that there would be more functionality with you being able to do other things such as remotely lock/unlock, turn on the AC etc. However, this appears to be limited to the hybrid model (which I haven't seen on sale).

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think it all depends on what add ins you have as to whether you can remotely lock / unlock etc.

I know the Volvo we were looking at, you had to have the SOS package which meant you had in car button etc for accident call, assistance and GPS tracking on the car etc which also enabled you to start the car from your iPhone so you can run it to defrost or cool down the car etc

My guess is something similar in the Tig would unlock the features you mention such as see the status of the car etc re locked doors or not and find where you parked etc.

Similarly the Guide and Inform stuff in carnet depends on the type of car and Discover medium you have. For example, The Discover pro comes with Guide and Inform Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Johnny5UK said:
DPStratMan said:
Are you waiting for September to collect?
No johnny5UK. See 'week 20 club' have sat in it but it needed a bit of a wash and brush up before I collect it next week. Let's hope Nova don't disassemble it!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the Car-net page they list Guide and Inform basic, which is what you get free. Guide and Inform plus lists a lot of other functions but it's not clear if it's additional cost and how much that actually is

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, that explains it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I activated it, but IMHO it's a complete waste of time...doesn't offer any information that you can't get straight off your phone in better quality.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know Car-Net is a VW solution, but would it not be better if it also had the option of being an Apple Carplay or Android Auto app that could use phone data directly instead of via hotspot or am I missing something ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Must admit - since I put a wifi dongle in the car, car-net seems really worth it, from quicker more accurate traffic updates on the AID map, to poi online searching, to immediate destination updates sent from my iPhone. Granted, when I had to constantly go to setting to hotspot my phone - I never remembered so never saw the point of car-net...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seanvdv said:
Must admit - since I put a wifi dongle in the car, car-net seems really worth it, from quicker more accurate traffic updates on the AID map, to poi online searching, to immediate destination updates sent from my iPhone. Granted, when I had to constantly go to setting to hotspot my phone - I never remembered so never saw the point of car-net...
Any idea how much data Car-Net actually uses when you're using it as you describe?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unfortunately not, I have 200mb data (free pm on one of the networks) as of Saturday morning and will let you know when it runs out - bearing in mind I only use the car on weekends...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hartside, so I had a quick look and it has used 14MB over the weekend. I would say I searched for 2 x places via online POI and routed to one of them, had a quick play with the news functions via car-net and drove for a total of about 3 hours over the weekend...
Hope that helps?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts