Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems registering with Car Net?
I was unable to register my car with Car Net after numerous attempts. I contacted VW customer services and explained the problem. The service operative talked me through the procedure, but again it failed and the message " registration failed, please try again" repeatedly appeared on the screen of the infotainment screen.
In all, I must have attempted the procedure 20 times with the same result. As the 14 day registration period for the registration number had expired, I was told to uninstall the car from the system and try again, but the same message appeared each time.
The VW customer service operative insisted that I send a photo of the words on the infotainment screen to them, as nothing could be done without a photo, which he would send to on to VW Germany where Car Net is administered.
This to me seems to be a strange request, as what can those words in a photo show that the words in an email not show? To make matters worse, at least 8 attempts to send said photo have been returned as unable to be delivered. Even an ordinary email sent in explanation has failed to arrive at VW customer services.
Attempts to make contact by phone result in very long waits on the phone, as only the original customer services operator appears to be able to deal once initial contact has been made.
I have been told that emails sent to VW customer services take 2 days to arrive with the operator who is dealing with the problem. It would be faster to send it by Royal Mail.
As a last resort I have returned to the dealer, forwarded the photo to them and they have sent it to VW customer services.
It's been 5 weeks since the problem materialised, heaven forbid if there had been a more serious problem that needed the intervention of VW customer services.
I find it quite absurd that VW are unable to deal with this matter in a speedier fashion.
Otherwise the car is great, so it's not all bad. I only Car Net is worth the hassle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd class it as a novelty factor, I've connected it, looked round, not used it since, to much hassle getting the car to connect to wifi, now if Apple CarPlay didn't work I'd be really upset.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
yetirider said:
I'd class it as a novelty factor, I've connected it, looked round, not used it since, to much hassle getting the car to connect to wifi, now if Apple CarPlay didn't work I'd be really upset.
I agree totally, the only exception might be if you've gone for the Discovery Pro, which I believe (I don't have it) has more items available.

Steve

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tried to sort this out over the past 2 weeks. I thought that if you had an R line or the SEL then car net was standard? But at Lookers Preston today was informed unless you ticked the box at time of buying the software isn't installed and there's no way it can be added yet. So no car net for, unless some one knows different

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Well according to the brochure, CarNet is standard on the SE, SEL and R Line, and indeed my SEL has access to CarNet (which I've registered) without me having to sign anything extra!
I would give Lookers Preston a call and get them to review the brochure!
Maybe they are getting confused with the fact that you have to register it within 14 days with VW after purchase.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
Well according to the brochure, CarNet is standard on the SE, SEL and R Line, and indeed my SEL has access to CarNet (which I've registered) without me having to sign anything extra!
I would give Lookers Preston a call and get them to review the brochure!
Maybe they are getting confused with the fact that you have to register it within 14 days with VW after purchase.

Steve
Thanks for heads-up on registering Steve, within 14 days, as I collect mine this Friday...... :)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
stumpy said:
Thanks for heads-up on registering Steve, within 14 days, as I collect mine this Friday...... :)
Good luck for Friday Stumpy, hope the weather keeps fine for you :D

Steve

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cheers guys thought as much, contacted the sales guy when I got home and as I thought yes it's standard, it could be that one my car was registered to another company at first on the VW site by mistake. Since then I have put on my own reg which also could be confusing the poor little VW portal ? :D
I await there reply :shock:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
stumpy said:
Good luck for Friday Stumpy, hope the weather keeps fine for you :D

Steve
Thanks Steve :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car-Net gggrrrrr

I've managed to input my personal POIs' after a lot of tedious effort but I''m b.....ered if I can input any RSS feeds. I know, I know, who's gonna read an RSS feed whilst on the move but I like to play with my new toys.

I use Feedly as an aggregator but realise that the Car-Net software wants individual URL feeds, so I've tried every URL I can think of - all of them coming through fine on Feedly - but the damn thing keeps asking me to input a correct RSS feed URL.

Anybody got any ideas before I pull ALL of my hair out ?

Cheers

·
Registered
261 Posts
Soxontig said:
Car-Net gggrrrrr

I've managed to input my personal POIs' after a lot of tedious effort but I''m b.....ered if I can input any RSS feeds. I know, I know, who's gonna read an RSS feed whilst on the move but I like to play with my new toys.

I use Feedly as an aggregator but realise that the Car-Net software wants individual URL feeds, so I've tried every URL I can think of - all of them coming through fine on Feedly - but the damn thing keeps asking me to input a correct RSS feed URL.

Anybody got any ideas before I pull ALL of my hair out ?

Cheers
I went through the pain of actually getting the car to connect to my iphone just to test the ones i'd added.
Try these which i inputted through the website.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/rss/77/news
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/newsfeed/rss/news_breaking.xml
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml?edition=uk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after 7 weeks I received a call from Anthony at VW Customer Services. Apparently the Car Net administers in Germany have finally sorted out the problem which didn't allow me to register my new Tiguan R Line for the Car Net service.
Well guess what, after uninstalling the car on the system ( the previous access code had expired) and registering for a new Car Net access code, I received that familiar caption on the screen "Registration failed please try again".
My mate Anthony, I think he's a mate now as I've spent so much time on the phone to him I feel we are now friends, says it's back to square one and I'll have to wait for Car Net Germany to read his new email to them, figure out what's wrong, sort it out, send him an email and he will contact me. All of this will take up to 3 weeks. So much for German efficiency I, not holding out any hopes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Picked up my car 29th Sept. Just registered it on Carnet today without issue. Not sure how much I'll use it.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Registered for CarNet just after picking the car up. Checked it out, and in nearly two months now.........never used it! ;)

Steve

G

·
great for realtime traffic but apart from that I don't really see any value add. Even more so as it has an issue with WLAN and HTC phones (confirmed by VW)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've also set this up but really don't see the point. The only thing that interested me was the app that would let me see my journeys, mpg in detail, etc - but of course that doesn't exist as suggested by the app demo! I wonder if the makers of the car-net system are really chuffed with their piece of work?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well my mate Anthony at VW Customer Services called me today re the registration problems I'm having with Car Net.
In the 8 days since my last chat with him, the boffins at Car Net in Germany have come up with the answer of "check your cars connection to your mobile device". i took a deep breath, as I don't swear at people over the phone, before I replied. My mate Anthony now says he'll have to get back to them and inform them I have checked this. Another delay.
I had sent an email of complaint to VW, 8 days ago. This has not even been acknowledged and my mate Anthony has no knowledge of it and as he's the only VW Customer Service person to deal with such problems will have to investigate where it's gone. Obviously no independent investigation at VW, the people/department you complain about investigate themselves.
At a complete loss now, however despite what bloggers on here are saying that it doesn't appear that Car Net offers much, I will persevere. It's the principle that counts.
I normally change my cars every two years. Any odds on getting it sorted by September 2018?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have Twiiter? Might be worth a scathing review of their customer services on there as I always tend to get more action from the company when doing that. They don't like the negative comments on their feed ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts