Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tiguan comes with Car Net Safety and Security basic package, but has anyone upgraded to the plus option for about £360?

By reading up on it it gives you more connection between your phone and the car ie. informs you if car alarm is activated allows you to turn car lights on.

My thinking is they will eventually give the Tiguan mobile connection for pre warming the car ect. like they do on the GTE, will this option be required to allow this to happen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im also interested in the exact same thing. The only thing i can add is, for vehicle pre warming i think you would have to have a DSG gearbox not manual.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It maybe different here in Germany to the UK.
The CarNet features you mentioned, letting you know if car alarm is activated, turn lights on etc is only available with the e-Remote which is only available with the VW GTE models.
Safety & Security is a system which allows you to phone the emergency services or VW helpline, by activating the system your location and car details are sent. The system also automatically informs the emergency services in the event of accident when the air bags are deployed, on activation the emergency service will be able to talk to you to establish the issue if there is no response from the occupants emergency services are dispatched to your location. The system is positioned in the roof next to the front interior lights and has three buttons which are VW Info (VW helpline), breakdown (VW breakdown services) and SOS (emergency services). The system can also be used to locate your car when stolen. There is a demonstration video of the system on the VW website I believe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Viper88 said:
Im also interested in the exact same thing. The only thing i can add is, for vehicle pre warming i think you would have to have a DSG gearbox not manual.
I agree, with the Jaguar pre warming you need to have an automatic.

It would be worth the extra money if they were going to add it later, but it's a gamble as there is no way to find out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeT said:
It maybe different here in Germany to the UK.
The CarNet features you mentioned, letting you know if car alarm is activated, turn lights on etc is only available with the e-Remote which is only available with the VW GTE models.
Safety & Security is a system which allows you to phone the emergency services or VW helpline, by activating the system your location and car details are sent. The system also automatically informs the emergency services in the event of accident when the air bags are deployed, on activation the emergency service will be able to talk to you to establish the issue if there is no response from the occupants emergency services are dispatched to your location. The system is positioned in the roof next to the front interior lights and has three buttons which are VW Info (VW helpline), breakdown (VW breakdown services) and SOS (emergency services). The system can also be used to locate your car when stolen. There is a demonstration video of the system on the VW website I believe.
In the UK they have the option of the safety and security plus, it gives you some of the features that the e remote on the GTE has but not all them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All.
Just taken delivery of Tiguan R line today, and am just trying to set up this carnet thingy!
Logged in, and am trying to register, but car isn't seeing internet connection to register.
If anyone else has this, I presume I do need internet for registering? I thought it came with built in sim?
I have tried hotspot from iphone, and also home wifi. Both times, they are recognised, and accepted (ticked in car settings), but the globe remains greyed out??

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I had already registered okay, but it stalled after entering the code in the car.
I guess it's an internet issue, as the globe on the display was greyed out even thought I successfully joined two separate hotspots (iPhone, home wifi).
I'll try tomorrow with a different phone, otherwise back to VW to find out why hotspots not working! great start......

·
Registered
440 Posts
cmorts1 said:
My thinking is they will eventually give the Tiguan mobile connection for pre warming the car ect. like they do on the GTE, will this option be required to allow this to happen.
Nope. No way.

The GTE pre warming is an electric heater.

The Tiguan would require an engine start. They have never offered this on any U.K. VW and won't change now.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Kugaman1 said:
cmorts1 said:
Nope. No way.

The Tiguan would require an engine start. They have never offered this on any U.K. VW and won't change now.
Why would it require an engine start?.
I believe it's standard equipment on a Tiguan in colder climates, there is a member on this forum from Sweden who has it - no engine start required (Jeremy_SWE).
It is also standard equipment on a VW California in the UK, which has both an auxiliary heater plus a programmable supplementary heater https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/models/california-30-years.html
All UK diesel Tiguan models also get the supplementary heater as standard, I have mine set to automatic all the time, although this is different to pre warming.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
cmorts1 said:
The Tiguan comes with Car Net Safety and Security basic package, but has anyone upgraded to the plus option for about £360?

By reading up on it it gives you more connection between your phone and the car ie. informs you if car alarm is activated allows you to turn car lights on.

The plus option was never mentioned by carnet technical help when I asked why the remote locking didn't work, but still shows an unlocked padlock permanently.
Are you sure the option exists for the UK?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
CNC said:
Kugaman1 said:
cmorts1 said:
Nope. No way.

I believe it's standard equipment on a Tiguan in colder climates, there is a member on this forum from Sweden who has it - no engine start required (Jeremy_SWE).
It is also standard equipment on a VW California in the UK, which has both an auxiliary heater plus a programmable supplementary heater https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/models/california-30-years.html
All UK diesel Tiguan models also get the supplementary heater as standard, I have mine set to automatic all the time, although this is different to pre warming.

What does the supplementary heater do?

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
xtrailman said:
cmorts1 said:

The plus option was never mentioned by carnet technical help when I asked why the remote locking didn't work, but still shows an unlocked padlock permanently.
I have an R-Line Tech with Security & Service plus as standard. I can lock and unlock the car remotely.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Tubemonster said:
xtrailman said:
cmorts1 said:

I have an R-Line Tech with Security & Service plus as standard. I can lock and unlock the car remotely.
I can't with my 2019 sel via carnet, only with the keyfob.

·
Registered
932 Posts
xtrailman said:
Tubemonster said:
xtrailman said:
Have you done the FaceTime call to identify yourself? They also took a pic of my photo id (driving licence). I can't remember what it was called now but it was on the car net app and said something about identity in its title. It also said " in order to use security features" or words to that effect.

·
Registered
440 Posts
CNC said:
Kugaman1 said:
cmorts1 said:
Nope. No way. I'm

?? The original quote was about it being enabled on carnet. If a pre heater isn't fitted (and it isn't) then it would require an engine start to generate heat.

They have been doing this pre heating in colder countries for years, using a webasto heater that uses the cars fuel - no way it will happen on regular cars in the U.K. Why would they suddenly start doing it now?

You are right, the supplementary heater is totally different to pre warming- it's a system that alters the routing of Coolant to allow the engine and passenger compartments to heat up much faster, obviously needs the engine running to work, so a pointless comparison.

And hardly fair to mention the California - it's a motorhome, of course it's gonna have additional heating systems. 🙄

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Tubemonster said:
xtrailman said:
Tubemonster said:
Have you done the FaceTime call to identify yourself? They also took a pic of my photo id (driving licence). I can't remember what it was called now but it was on the car net app and said something about identity in its title. It also said " in order to use security features" or words to that effect.
I just followed the video instructions, I don't recall anything called Facetime, and I'm not alone in complaining to carnet about the padlock showing permanently unlocked on the app.

The carnet tech checked my car for the remote locking function and said no uk Tiguan has the option, only the Towrag.

They also said they were aware of the padlock showing and were working on a software fix for it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.