Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is anyone using this?... what does it actually give me? is it worth the shagging hassle to set it up!!!!?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I set up mine.
Not used extensively as it gives you just the news feeds, weather, nearest fuel stations (I found fuel pricing displayed to be quite accurate), your personal POIs and routes (they can be added and transferred from your Car-Net online account to your car) and I think that's it.

You can have your vehicle health report downloaded to your Car-Net account as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mate... sound like something that's not a priority!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Seasons Greetings DrMiles :)

I had the same questions as it appears to offer lots but it's very vague about exactly how it works so I set up a dedicated wi-fi in the car (old Alcatel Y800 and a PAYG data sim) - USB power plugged into the rear 12V and the Y800 held in place under the centre console by two blobs of blue tack. You cannot accuse me of over engineering the installation :lol:

POI transfers to the car seem to work OK if you select the right format but it is slow for large files, even on 4G - I ended up hooking up to the house WIFI which gave me a better speed and costs less in data. Up loading specific POI's and/or routes to the car seems to be reasonably quick at the PC interface but overly complex to access them in the car's menu driven interface.

I think the idea was that if you are "on the road" your office can upload a couple of new co-ordinates for you to travel to - not really focused on Joe Public

For bulk POI's (safety cameras) the alternative is to use a conversion system which VW have on their web site (in German) and this allows you to convert from a Merc file format and load via the SD Card.

It claims on-line traffic conditions but I'm just not certain that the main navigation system uses this data, I think you have to use a second mapping system which is downloaded as you travel and visually looks poor. Using the Android app seems to be slicker.

It also claims to offer more things like car parking and fuel and in this respect, it can find both - but you can get this data as a POI file or from Android, so I think it's limited.

I'm going to keep playing until the 15Gb data block is used but I don't expect to find anything that I cannot get on my phone :eek: .

Cheers

Earl

·
Registered
261 Posts
The trafic works with the main nav to reroute you, gives you advance warming of hold ups and will reroute you if it can,
Mine saved me about an hour of queuing round the Trafford centre yesterday by taking me the other way round the M60.
I use my phones data plan i get 5gig a month, the only use is traffic data and I make good use of Apple Music streaming plus I use a few radio streaming apps. Carnet its self is fairly useless. CarPlay I use a lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unsure of the benefits of this yet as just getting used to my car, but just a word of warning. When I tried to register online, I didn't receive my verification e-mail after checking all folders, junk and spam etc. I tried to re-register but this wouldn't work either. My dealer advised that I should re-register using a different e-mail then once signed up just change your e-mail. So I did but cannot find anyway to change the e-mail address. I have just called VW and they have advised that once an e-mail is registered with Car-Net this cannot be changed at all!
So for any new owners please be aware of which e-mail you use to register! That is of course the man at VW was correct or not!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does it improve the traffic updates? I've been disappointed with the standard ones compared to my last car.

I haven't set up car-net but will be all over it if it fixes the slow and inaccurate traffic updates.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Pasquale said:
Unsure of the benefits of this yet as just getting used to my car, but just a word of warning. When I tried to register online, I didn't receive my verification e-mail after checking all folders, junk and spam etc. I tried to re-register but this wouldn't work either. My dealer advised that I should re-register using a different e-mail then once signed up just change your e-mail. So I did but cannot find anyway to change the e-mail address. I have just called VW and they have advised that once an e-mail is registered with Car-Net this cannot be changed at all!
So for any new owners please be aware of which e-mail you use to register! That is of course the man at VW was correct or not![/quote

Hmmmm would this be the same dealer in Barnsley who got your boot liner wrong, and didn't have a clue about the mud flaps :roll: If so I would be sending a gripe letter/ e-mail to VW uk about this dealership :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Foz said:
Does it improve the traffic updates?
As far as I see, no it doesn't.
Traffic updates for VW satnav are broadcasted via TMC (Traffic Message Channel) not internet.

I too find VW traffic updates inaccurate and slow therefore for navigation I use Google Maps via Android Auto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered with Car Net with the main aim of benefitting from the live traffic updates, unfortunately the system rarely connects with my i phone; its in the WLAN list of networks but stays greyed out. I have the personal hotspot switched on the phone but its connected once or twice out of probably 30 attempts. Looks like ill be resorting back to my TomTom live, which is a pity because the guide & inform was one of the reasons i went for this car.

G

·
Same behaviour as my HTC10, listed in WLAN bu greyed out. New connection required and all works well. Shame as I wanted to use it for the live traffic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
stumpy said:
Pasquale said:
So for any new owners please be aware of which e-mail you use to register! That is of course the man at VW was correct or not![/quote

Hmmmm would this be the same dealer in Barnsley who got your boot liner wrong, and didn't have a clue about the mud flaps :roll: If so I would be sending a gripe letter/ e-mail to VW uk about this dealership :!: :!: :!:
Yes, it was the same dealer. It would of been even worse as the salesperson was going to add his own e-mail address for my vehicle, just glad I used my work e-mail instead which should be OK for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I managed to set this up today, using an iPhone as the wifi hotspot.

Everything seems to work, does anyone know if there is any features unlocked by using a carstick? Doesnt appear so, if not why would you buy one?

I rang o2 today and its around £2 per month more to move my 3gb tarif to 5gb. Surely this is more cost effective?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking at different data plans and was wondering how much data do I need. My Tiguan is going to have the Discover Media system so no google maps. Would 4GB/month be sufficient for traffic data, news weather and such?

·
Registered
176 Posts
4gb would be fine for the year. We have a tt which uses the google maps and I always have it in google earth view and we have a 12gb 12 months sim which cost £26. So far we've averaged less than 300 mb per month so it will expire before the data runs out. I also use it as a wifi hot spot so the wife's browsing whilst passenger uses the cars data

·
Registered
72 Posts
Winrya said:
4gb would be fine for the year. We have a tt which uses the google maps and I always have it in google earth view and we have a 12gb 12 months sim which cost £26. So far we've averaged less than 300 mb per month so it will expire before the data runs out. I also use it as a wifi hot spot so the wife's browsing whilst passenger uses the cars data
Cheers!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried to connect to it via hot spot from my android yesterday and wouldn't connect, just gave up and used android auto , don't think I'll really use it until we go our holidays down south suppose the live traffic thing will be handy

·
Registered
261 Posts
With an iPhone 2 things to do to ensure it connects.
1/ change the name of your iPhone from just iPhone , mine is now called philiphone.
2/ It seems the VW system has no way to wake the hotspot on when you get in the car, to resolve this open your phone at the hotspot screen before you turn the ignition on, the system will see the hotspot is active and connect.

Plus when looking at data take into account any streaming you may do within CarPlay , i regularly steam AppleMusic in the car or jazz FM radio station.
I have a 5gig data plan on my phone and usually stream an hour each day with out issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 4 months of going back & forth to VW Customer Services, I've now given up all hope of ever getting Carnet connected in my RLine. They have been totally unhelpful with getting the problem rectified.
I have made numerous telephone calls to them, waited for them to contact Germany, where apparently the system is administered, each time waiting days for a reply and every time after being assured the problem had been rectified, the system failed to register.
To make matters worse, no one has bothered to contact me after I made a complaint.
From reading the blogs it appears I'm not missing much, but that's not really the point.
If this is an example of VW Customer Service I'm not at all impressed and I'm glad I haven't had to rectify a serious problem with them.
German efficiency is sorely lacking with regard to this!
It's not all bad. The car is great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts