Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says.
I had it three times last week on separate occasions while in traffic, once going down hill.
And three times in a row this week on the way home from the school run (no its not my driving :mrgreen: ) stop in traffic, stall, restart, a few feet and stall, re-start and a few feet and stall, it only happens as you change up from 1st to 2nd.
Got the car booked in for the 14th for the m to check out my sensors so they can have a look at this as well.
Its not me not being used to the biting point either.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've stalled mine quite a few times, my 1.6TDI seemed to be a bit more fore giving using 2nd in really slow moving traffic, I've had to adjust my style and use 1st more to ensure I have suffficent revs for the jump to 2nd. What revs is the car at when it stalls, or are the indications that it's actually cutting out?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yetirider said:
I've stalled mine quite a few times, my 1.6TDI seemed to be a bit more fore giving using 2nd in really slow moving traffic, I've had to adjust my style and use 1st more to ensure I have suffficent revs for the jump to 2nd. What revs is the car at when it stalls, or are the indications that it's actually cutting out?
It seems to be just cutting out, theres no slight judder or anything as in your normal stall.
I havent noticed the revs as My eyes are on the traffic in front.
I have had a problem getting it into second a couple of times after pulling off such as roundabout and have had to drop it back to 1st resulting in revving the hell out of it , Im not sure if its connected.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As a remedy until you get it looked at....... :idea: could you not try 'Double' 'De-Clutch' from 1st to 2nd gear... at least it will save revving the hell out of it 'Neagativepitch'

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terrier1964 said:
Is your car a manual or DSG ?
Manual.
Its weird, is's as if its going into stop go mode, it stalls/stops then as you put it into neutral and without putting the hand brake or even putting the hand brake if you just depress the clutch with out even pressing the start button it starts back up...if that makes any sence

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad I'm not alone :oops:

I've stalled this car more than every other car I've driven put together :eek: I've just put it down to the very light flywheel and relatively low torque under 1k rpm. I'm used to it now but every now and then I think I can pull away in second, as I'm already slowly moving, and it decides stopping is easier.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For all the stallers out there :)
When you have stalled, has the car then restarted straight away without you having put the handbrake on, working a bit like the stop start system?
When I have stalled and so to my wife yesterday, no sooner had the car stalled than it started straight up having done anything else?? as if on its own.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just out of curiosity and a case of eliminating possible causes have you tried switching off the stop/start function and driving your Tiguan in your usual manner:?: if your car does not exhibit the same "stalling" characteristics then it appears that your problem lies with the stop/start feature and thus may require re-calibrating.

I have driven various VW's with stop/start and have found some model lines have more "sensitive" stop/start interruptions than others.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTD184 said:
Just out of curiosity and a case of eliminating possible causes have you tried switching off the stop/start function and driving your Tiguan in your usual manner:?: if your car does not exhibit the same "stalling" characteristics then it appears that your problem lies with the stop/start feature and thus may require re-calibrating.

I have driven various VW's with stop/start and have found some model lines have more "sensitive" stop/start interruptions than others.
Which part of the menu is the option to turn it off?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Negativepitch said:
GTD184 said:

You can't turn it off in the menu, you have to use the button which is a capital 'A' in a circle with the word OFF beneath it, it's located to the left of the gear lever. But be aware it resets itself again when you turn the ignition off.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I must admit that I always turned the 'stop/start' function off each time in my Audi, as I for 1 didn't think it does diesel engines any good & 2 thought you would use just as much fuel stopping & starting within very small distances.......call me 'old school'.... :lol:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
stumpy said:
I must admit that I always turned the 'stop/start' function off each time in my Audi, as I for 1 didn't think it does diesel engines any good & 2 thought you would use just as much fuel stopping & starting within very small distances.......call me 'old school'.... :lol:
Me too, it's the first button I press after starting the car. I used to do the same in my golf, so now it's just second nature.

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Essjay said:
Negativepitch said:
GTD184 said:

You can't turn it off in the menu, you have to use the button which is a capital 'A' in a circle with the word OFF beneath it, it's located to the left of the gear lever. But be aware it resets itself again when you turn the ignition off.

Steve
Correct Steve! ;)

stumpy said:
I would be more inclined to say that it would wear the starter motor and flywheel prematurely especially a lot of town driving, but believe it or not incidences of failure of both starter motor and flywheel components is very low :!: :eek: Stop/start is a nuisance on occasions and in my view can be embarrassing or even dangerous especially if attempting to pull out of a busy road junction so I always switch it off approaching busy junctions, other than that I have become accustomed to this technology so its second nature like putting your seat belt on :) although I guess the fuel saving and pollution claims by the experts is somewhat debatable! :|

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On our old Nissan QQ had it. It had a mind of its own, wouldnt work if the aircon was on, as per instructions from the dealer. And then at other times hit and miss, talked about on one of the QQ forums..
You could turn it off but it would reset each time the ignition was started as posted above.
I think I will give it a go this week before the car goes in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts