Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to a question from Terrier1964. If you re buying a registration number off the DVLA site take a look at the Q & A on the top right corner of the home page of the DVLA registration number site. That will explain how the buying and transferring process works.

It's straight forward if you re putting a reg number on a new unregistered car . Take your certificate into your VW dealer, they will help you fill it in and process the registration for you.

G

·
The process is so simple now and almost instant results. No more paperwork to be sent to the DVLA. The links on the DVLA site are really simple to follow and with the paper documents in hand to take the numbers off of it takes just minutes to complete.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi - Thnks for the reply - further to this - the plate I want is now only avaialable via a dealer.....is the process the same ?

Also - if it is unregistered and I buy a cherished plate what happens when I sell the car and want to retain the plate ...

G

·
OK here is the process that I have just followed:-

[*]Private plate on current Tig.
[*]Paid £80 and provided V5C numbers and original plate was allocated back to the car.
[*]Retention certificate of private plate and new V5C arrive in post (around 4 days).
[*]Original plate allocated immediately and notified by email so plates have to be swapped over (I always keep my old plates as never seen any other plate allocated)
[*]When you have the V5C of the new vehicle in your name the process is almost the reverse but without the £80 (this will hold your plate allocated to you for 10 years)
[*]I think a brand new car can have the private plate put straight on it by the dealer (I have never done this).

You say the dealer has a plate you want, my guess that it is in an allocated range so is classed as a real reg and not a cherished. You will need to see if the DVLA will allow you to remove the plate as a private plate and allocate a new one to the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts